PDA

View Full Version : Playing Poker for the Tsunami Aid Effort

luoist
12-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone,

As you have seen on the news, the earthquake in southeast Asia and resulting tsunami has caused massive devastation throughout 11 countries with the death toll at 135,000 and still rising. Millions more have suffered in ways I would never wish upon anyone. Losing your home, your children, your spouse, your family, your community. Your entire life swept away in a day. But the suffering doesn't end there. Disease and hunger still threaten the entire region.

The relief effort is expected to be the largest ever, requiring millions of dollars just to stabilize the area and prevent the aftermath of the disaster from killing even more people -- as many as double the current toll, according to one World Health Organization (WHO) official.

How can I help? As we ring the new year, how can we aid those millions who have nothing to celebrate? I am a member of the Internet Texas Holdem community and we are collecting contributions for a lump sum community-wide donation to a relief organization actively working in the region such as UNICEF or Doctors without Borders. Please see this thread to track our progress: http://www.internettexasholdem.com/phpbb2/1-vt12979.html?start=0

We would like to issue a friendly challenge to you all, the 2+2 community, to see who will raise more money to aid the victims of this unprecedented natural disaster. Please consider our proposal.

If you would just like to donate individually, here is a large list of aid organizations:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.aidsites/index.html

Thank you and please help.

cbfair
12-31-2004, 07:11 PM
There is a long and active thread in the Internet Gambling Forum on this very topic. A Tounament is scheduled for 6 PM EST this sunday at pokerstars.com: here are the details from GrannyMae:

[ QUOTE ]
i've made an 'executive decision' and gone ahead and created a tourney as discussed in another thread.

this sunday at 6p EST there will be a private tourney at pokerstars. all those who money will donate 1/2 of their winnings (or more if they choose) to the red cross.

the buy in is $10. the structure is NLHE.

the tournament is now posted as "Zoo Tsunami Relief" under the private tab. it is tourney number 4248593

those in the money will transfer me 1/2 their winnings after the tourney, i will match that amount, and will send it to the american red cross who is accepting donations.

the password is

zoohelp

hope to see you guys on sunday.

let's go nuts and NOT play like a bunch of tightwads. let's have some fun pushing our stacks around and be greatful that we are able to help a bit for the largest natural disaster any of us have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Granny has since decided that the International Red Cross is a better recipient. She has been accepting donations through her Poker Stars account and will send a check next week. Posters here have transfered over $1600 at last count; additionally, GrannyMae has pledged $1000 and Lee Jones of Poker Stars has pledged $500 of his own money. Poker Stars is also donating all of the tournament entry fees to relief efforts.

Several posters have also agreed to participate in the "Tsunami Bonus Challenge" whereby players find a bonus they've never cleared and donate any profit they make up to the full bonus amount, or more if they choose. These are two of the active projects here at 2+2 and I think people are also open to other ideas as well.

Please feel free to post details of Sundays tournament far and wide, Poker Stars has offered up a great selection of prizes for final tablists.