PDA

View Full Version : when the chips are low

Firetrap
12-31-2004, 05:42 PM
A long time ago i realised that i play better when i have fewer chips in front of me, i tend to splash around more with a large stack....but i can't swim /images/graemlins/frown.gif Consequently when i build up a bit money in my poker account i need to put it out of my head by putting it in the bank.

What this means is that at the beginning of the week/month or whatever i find myself buying into a 2/5 game with 500 in my poker account....which leads me onto this hand....

Sitting in the cut off i find KJo with 2 limpers from m/p and decide to take a look as its been pretty passive, button calls as does SB and BB checks.

Flop Q5T rainbow - Pot $30

SB bets 5 - he has $1000 and all fold to me.

I have just under my $500 - this is really the type of flop i wanted and decide to raise to $25 to force out the button, possibly win it here or hopefully buy a free card on the turn if it is a blank. Decent decision?

Unfortunately - the Button, who has $100 left, goes all in.

BB folds - this puts $160 in the pot and $75 to call.

OK, so i'm behind now but feel i have 8 good outs and possibly 3 Kings to win it - am i right in thinkin that calling here has a very slight +ev??? 2/1 to hit and slightly better odds??

Also if you had that amount of money in front of you would you be calling in these spots or waiting to plays these situations after you had accumulated more chips??

In the hand i called, he had AQo which held up.....which is when i wondered that if by doing the correct mathmatical play, i still made the best play for me at that time. Am i making any sense?? lol

DBowling
12-31-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this puts $160 in the pot and $75 to call.

OK, so i'm behind now but feel i have 8 good outs and possibly 3 Kings to win it - am i right in thinkin that calling here has a very slight +ev??? 2/1 to hit and slightly better odds??

Also if you had that amount of money in front of you would you be calling in these spots or waiting to plays these situations after you had accumulated more chips??

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine, you got your chips in as a dog, but the pot was offering you odds to chase.

Are you only playing with 500$ in your account? If so, that makes it tough. I still say you have to call, but i would love to rebuy back up to the max once i lose $100 to my stack. Especially when there are players that will have you covered. You want to give yourself the opportunity to win the most money possible when you catch your monster. I think it would be best if you gave yourself a few buy ins to work with, so you arent forced to play short stacked.
Dont wait around until you have a big stack before you start making these calls, or you may never end up with a big stack.

Firetrap
01-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks D

I hear what you are saying - and i probably should be keeping a bit more in reserve. In fact several hands after this one i got all in preflopp with AA v KK and won.....didnt have the full 500 though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thing is though previously i built 500 up to 3800 - my play as i hit that amount of money changed, far more ready to gamble in spots like the above where maybe i wasnt getting quite the right odds etc. Or trying to run over tables a lot more.

Prehaps im on the right track to keep my play in check but am making it too difficult for myself when i cash out - i'll leave 1000-1500 in future.

BobboFitos
01-01-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
have just under my $500 - this is really the type of flop i wanted and decide to raise to $25 to force out the button, possibly win it here or hopefully buy a free card on the turn if it is a blank. Decent decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't raise enough, I'd make it 30 to 40. Or just call, 5 is such a small bet, use position to hopefully win a bigger pot vs the big stack. I do like your raise though if you raise more. I like to be creative in these situations: Both plays are profitable IMO, it's entriely up to opponent to decide for you how profitable they are.

I'm MUCH more inclined to raise on a 2flush board than rainbow... Do you see why?

Since this is rainbow I like calling a little more.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, pot is laying you a good price as a dog vs his range of hands. Nothing is suggesting he has a set here, no reason to get it all in on the flop if he had a set, good call.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I build that stack by having a leprachaun die while walking on his way to the rainbow from the poker table?

[ QUOTE ]
Am i making any sense?? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it makes sense, and with a short bankroll perhaps you should be more inclined to "gamble" a little bit as losing doesn't hurt you in these high variance situations. Plus it's pos EV so you cant really say you played fishy.

Firetrap
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
My raise was to 25 not 5 - so in the region of what you suggested.

More inclined to raise on a 2flush flop.....hmmmmmm. Have racked my brain but am not sure why....dont keep me hanging long /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BobboFitos
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My raise was to 25 not 5 - so in the region of what you suggested.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like you to reraise more like from his 5 bet 30 more to 35 total... Your raise was a little low, but it could work.

[ QUOTE ]
More inclined to raise on a 2flush flop.....hmmmmmm. Have racked my brain but am not sure why....dont keep me hanging long

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason is that it looks like a free card play if you check the turn to a blank, allowing you to bluff a flush if the flush card falls and also perhaps allowing you to get paid off more if the straight card falls

Firetrap
01-02-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The main reason is that it looks like a free card play if you check the turn to a blank, allowing you to bluff a flush if the flush card falls and also perhaps allowing you to get paid off more if the straight card falls

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers guys

BobboFitos
01-02-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like it!!!

Cheers guys

[/ QUOTE ]

GL /images/graemlins/smile.gif