PDA

View Full Version : T9o in small blind (3/6)...

Rake_in
12-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Is this a good call? I figured If I make top pair I'm in good shape against few opponents and against a lot of players I have better odds to make a straight. Am I off or does this make sense? How does my postflop play look?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button folds.

Turn: (3 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Haupt_234
12-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Fold preflop. You are limping with unsuited garbage, out of position, to try and win a pot of nothing. Given, you are the SB, but it still isn't worth it.

The flop looks fine, but I would 3-bet the turn. You backed off too quickly here, and i'm not sure what you're fearing. Don't fear monsters under the bed (a set).

Haupt_234

Rah
12-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Fold preflop.
On the turn, I'm not sure what you are fearing. A set would probably have reraised the flop, so would AT (or A9). I can't put UTG on something else than AQ or AJ. Reraise, or at least checkraise the river.

JinX11
12-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Fold this hand pre-flop in the 1/3 blind structure limits. If you were playing in a 1/2 blind structure limit, I don't mind your call pre-flop so much.

Bet the river. Variation on Clarkmeister's Theorem. The only hand you worry about UTG raising a river bet is A8. You *may* be able to induce a fold and you're gonna call one bet anyways.

EDIT: I suppose 88 is possible, too, but the unlikely given the turn raise.

cornell2005
12-31-2004, 11:39 PM
im new to limit so i have a couple questions. first of all, how often do utg 3/6 players limp a7 or a9? second, how often does villian here just flat call the flop bet with a7 or a9? im curious why a8 is more likely than a7 or a9. basically i am trying to figure out how solid you should view your hand on the turn.

smoore
01-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Bad 3/6 players will limp here all the time. They will also flat call with mid/bottom pair. Rarely will you see a raise from them in this situation. A lot of them will call to the river with this crap.

ecooke
01-01-2005, 02:00 AM
I don't see the Flop with T9o even for a half bet from the SB. Otherwise, I three bet the Turn (or stop and go for a river raise).

Harv72b
01-01-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a good call? I figured If I make top pair I'm in good shape against few opponents and against a lot of players I have better odds to make a straight. Am I off or does this make sense? How does my postflop play look?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with a hand like T9o is, you can make top pair but lose to AT, KT, QT, or JT...all of which you'll see a lot of people limp in limit, especially from LP. And even when you do flop TP, there are a lot of 2 overcard hands which will call for 1 SB, and have a good chance of outdrawing you on the turn (or river, if they stick that long). That's why you only want to play T9 against a lot of opponents, with the goal of hitting your straight (longer odds to make it, but the number of players involved means that the pot should be big enough to compensate for the times you miss). Someone else can do the exact math, but I'd think you'd want at least 4 limpers ahead of you to complete with T9o, unless you're at a table full of LAGs who'll pay you off with bets &amp; raises if you do hit your straight. Then you could probably get away with 3 or maybe even 2 limpers ahead of you.

As for postflop, what everyone else said. Either 3-bet the turn or play for a c/r on the river. I'd prefer 3-betting the turn because there are so many scare cards that can come, and you're almost certainly ahead when UTG raised you.

Kenrick
01-01-2005, 07:16 AM
In any other blind structure, I'd say limp all day as long as you can get out when appropriate. For 3/6, yeah, the limp is iffy since you're not giving up much of anything by folding your crap. And T9o is certainly crap. Other than that, can't fault ya with the Ace showing up and forcing you to slow down.