PDA

View Full Version : the 40% rule

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-31-2004, 04:05 PM
In AleoMagus' 10+1 guide, he suggests never betting more than 40% of your stack, it's better to just push. My question is, are there situations where it's better to raise less and push on the flop, in an attempt to get a caller/callers preflop. The situation that caused me to wonder this is:

Hero is BB with black Aces. Blinds are currently 25/50. UTG (t1450) opens with a min-raise to 100 and it's folded around to me. I have a t750 stack. Should I push here or reraise to an amount he's more likely to call, then push on the flop?

adanthar
12-31-2004, 04:10 PM
This is 100% dependent on if UTG is any good.

flytrap
12-31-2004, 05:36 PM
I violate the 50% rule in situations like this. With this type of hand, you're likely to go bust if you bet 30-40% of your stack, so the rule isn't that relevant here. You're heads up, and your hand is sooooo good that you want him to call preflop, and call your all-in on the flop. I'd raise to 250 and if he calls push on the flop. I realize this is only 33% of your stack, but I would raise the same 250 if I had t600 or t500.

raptor517
12-31-2004, 06:03 PM
make it about 250-300 to go. thats reason enough for him to call, and you can push on the flop if he checks to you.

also, the aleomagus rule or whatever, is really for one reason. dont pot commit yourself with a non superior hand. put the pressure on the other player. make him make the call, not you. if you have an excellent hand like AA or KK, get as many chips in there from your opponent as possible. in the later rounds, when you are getting short stacked, risk busting out to double up. dont be satisfied with the blinds.

Mr_J
12-31-2004, 06:12 PM
I don't think the guide takes manipulating opponents into account. This is obviously a situation where you want action, but an all-in would scare him off so...