PDA

View Full Version : min-raising with AA

Siawyn
12-31-2004, 02:30 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($67.90)
BB ($118)
UTG ($227.50)
MP1 ($87.65)
MP2 ($196.15)
CO ($170.75)
Button <font color="#A500AF">(Hero)</font> ($199)

Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop:
UTG calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(Hero)</font> raises to $14</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $12, CO calls $8.

Flop: ($45) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $40</font>, CO calls $40,

Action is on you. No specific reads, but the CO probably does have a hand to have been raising (i.e. 2 big cards or a medium to big pair) Assume that these are fairly fresh faces otherwise.

Siawyn
01-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Well there was a little twist on this one... I was posting this from my oppositions perspective. I got into a discussion with this hand with a friend and he was confused as to why I played it like this.

I am the UTG in this situation, and I had limped with 33. When the button re-raised the CO, I had immediatley marked her for aces or kings. I figured it highly unlikely that the CO would raise again, so I flat-called the 2 raises, having to chip in a little over 5% of my stack for a shot at busting someone for their entire stack.

The flop obviously gave me my set of 3s, and my quandary was how to proceed. I decided since I'd marked the button with AA/KK, I would fire out a pot-sized bet. My friend would have gone for the check-raise, but I thought playing it fast here would be much better. The CO being inbetween was the question mark. If we both checked to the button, then I check-raised the button he would have to fold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($67.90)
BB ($118)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($227.50)</font>
MP1 ($87.65)
MP2 ($196.15)
CO ($170.75)
<font color="#C00000">Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> ($199)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> raises to $14</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $12, CO calls $8.

Flop: ($45) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, CO calls $40, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $185</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $213.5</font>, CO folds.

Turn: ($483.50) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($483.50) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $483.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3d 3c (three of a kind, threes).
Villian has As Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $483.50. </font>

The much more interesting question was trying to play the hand from her seat. I've never been a fan of min-raising with AA. Do any of you do it? How do you get away from it on a seemingly safe flop?

The other question is what do you think the CO had to call my lead bet on the flop?

Spladle Master
01-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I'd re-raise pre-flop to $23 or so. So the answer is no, I don't mini-raise with aces. I get away from them on a seemingly safe flop if the stacks are very deep and opponent is very unlikely to be bluffing. Cutoff probably had a pocket pair higher than sevens but lower than aces.

Maybe jacks.

soah
01-01-2005, 09:09 PM
The button played the hand poorly. He gave away his hand without charging people the proper price to draw out against it, and still went to the felt with it on the flop.

With regards to check-raising, I would be more inclined to do that against someone who had open-raised, especially from a later position, since they would presumably raise with many hands other than a big pair. Check-raising could win you some extra money if they choose to bet an unimproved AK (or worse) while they may fold if you lead into them. In this instance the reraiser is extremely likely to have an overpair, and they are unlikely to fold if you bet into them.

Additionally, if you routinely lead out with big hands, you may be more likely to get away with stealing the pot when you flop a draw or a weak made hand. Check-raising as a semi-bluff is expensive, and you hate to check-call with a draw when your opponent may only have ace high.