PDA

View Full Version : Share you best single day comeback story

ggbman
12-31-2004, 01:16 PM
In the midst of the hottest streak of my poker career, i got off to a horrible start yesterday down about $700 4 tabling at 5-10 6max tables at party.

A couple of hands like this got me a hige hole:

***** Hand History for Game 1367383639 *****
$5/$10 Hold'em - Friday, December 31, 04:20:14 EDT 2004
Table Table 10708 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 3: ggbman ( $222.5 )
Seat 8: fireballAK ( $324.5 )
Seat 6: dxk414 ( $52 )
Seat 1: alansonja ( $243.5 )
Seat 10: hart7777 ( $238 )
>You have options at Table 12597 (6 max) Table!.
dxk414 posts small blind [$2].
fireballAK posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ggbman [ Ac Ah ]
hart7777 folds.
alansonja calls [$5].
ggbman raises [$10].
dxk414 folds.
>You have options at Table 11049 (6 max) Table!.
fireballAK calls [$5].
alansonja calls [$5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, Ad, 2s ]
fireballAK checks.
alansonja checks.
ggbman checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6s ]
fireballAK checks.
alansonja bets [$10].
ggbman raises [$20].
fireballAK folds.
alansonja calls [$10].
** Dealing River ** [ 3s ]
>You have options at Table 15261 (6 max) Table!.
alansonja checks.
ggbman bets [$10].
alansonja raises [$20].
ggbman raises [$20].
alansonja calls [$10].
ggbman shows [ Ac, Ah ] three of a kind, aces.
alansonja shows [ Ts, Qs ] a flush, queen high.
alansonja wins $130 from the main pot with a flush, queen high.

The good old set of aces gettin cracked

***** Hand History for Game 1367872371 *****
$5/$10 Hold'em - Friday, December 31, 06:54:14 EDT 2004
Table Table 11343 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Seat 3: RxMike ( $209 )
Seat 6: Containment ( $320 )
Seat 8: ggbman ( $248.5 )
Seat 1: GooseEye ( $296 )
Seat 5: AjackOff ( $85 )
GooseEye posts small blind [$2].
RxMike posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ggbman [ Th As ]
>You have options at Table 15174 (6 max) Table!.
Containment folds.
>You have options at Table 12302 (6 max) Table!.
ggbman raises [$10].
GooseEye folds.
RxMike calls [$5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3s, Ts, Ad ]
RxMike checks.
>You have options at Table 11421 (6 max) Table!.
ggbman checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8s ]
RxMike checks.
ggbman bets [$10].
RxMike raises [$20].
ggbman raises [$20].
RxMike calls [$10].
>You have options at Table 11421 (6 max) Table!.
** Dealing River ** [ 8h ]
RxMike bets [$10].
ggbman raises [$20].
RxMike raises [$20].
ggbman calls [$10].
RxMike shows [ Ah, 8c ] a full house, Eights full of aces.
ggbman shows [ Th, As ] two pairs, aces and tens.
RxMike wins $140 from the main pot with a full house, Eights full of aces.

Self explanatory, pretty bad beat

***** Hand History for Game 1367148920 *****
$5/$10 Hold'em - Friday, December 31, 02:46:14 EDT 2004
Table Table 15261 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Seat 1: ggbman ( $495 )
Seat 10: sajrcarson ( $407.5 )
Seat 3: jk5631896 ( $343 )
Seat 8: Amorebello ( $152.5 )
Seat 6: spook42 ( $157 )
sajrcarson posts small blind [$2].
ggbman posts big blind [$5].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ggbman [ Qd Kh ]
jk5631896 folds.
scsafan has joined the table.
spook42 folds.
Amorebello calls [$5].
sajrcarson calls [$3].
ggbman raises [$5].
Amorebello calls [$5].
sajrcarson calls [$5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Td, Kd, Ks ]
sajrcarson checks.
>You have options at Table 10708 (6 max) Table!.
ggbman bets [$5].
Amorebello calls [$5].
sajrcarson calls [$5].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 7c ]
sajrcarson checks.
ggbman bets [$10].
Amorebello calls [$10].
sajrcarson calls [$10].
** Dealing River ** [ Ah ]
sajrcarson checks.
ggbman bets [$10].
Amorebello raises [$20].
sajrcarson folds.
ggbman raises [$20].
Amorebello calls [$10].
ggbman shows [ Qd, Kh ] three of a kind, kings.
Amorebello shows [ Jd, Qs ] a straight, ten to ace.
Amorebello wins $133 from the main pot with a straight, ten to ace.

Anyway i'm gonna post every single bad beat that I incurred, no one wants to read that. The first two were pretty crappy, the last one just bad luck. But anyway, i kept playing solid poker, and by the end of the day i dug myself out of a $700 hole and ended up $200. Anyone else have a cool comeback story they would like to share?

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 01:18 PM
I love bad beat threads.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 01:32 PM
I was at a party and they had a lot of Cocktail Shrimp, which is my favorite food outside of bratwurst and lil debbie snackcakes. So I ate my fair share. This guy I work with, in front of the whole party, said "Hey Matty!, "The ocean called and they're running out of shrimp."

Anyways, I looked him right in the eyes and said "The jerk store called, they're running out of you!"

Burn.

Russ McGinley
12-31-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was at a party and they had a lot of Cocktail Shrimp, which is my favorite food outside of bratwurst and lil debbie snackcakes. So I ate my fair share. This guy I work with, in front of the whole party, said "Hey Matty!, "The ocean called and they're running out of shrimp."

Anyways, I looked him right in the eyes and said "The jerk store called, they're running out of you!"

Burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure.

Genius.

sfer
12-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Expert play.

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 02:05 PM
yeah, I should say that this post made me feel like I was really falling down on the job of making off-topic cathartically wierd posts in shitty threads.

Damnit. I have competition.

stinkypete
12-31-2004, 02:10 PM
that wasn't off-topic dude... that's an awesome comeback. and i'm sure he said the whole thing in a single day.

as for the original poster, i made $1900 at $5/$10 6 max yesterday and $300 at $3/$6. i lost a few bucks the day before so it counts.

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 02:10 PM
I am an amatuer baseball umpire among other things. One night I ate a whole cheesecake (this is back in the day when I was a pothead). The next morning I had to go umpire an adult league double-header about a hundred miles away. I woke up with the worst diahrea that I had ever had in my life. I still went out there to do my games, sometimes running out to the porto-potty between innings, but at the end of the day, my polyester slacks were still clean.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Nahh, your's are originals, I have to take mine from George Costanza.

Alexthegreat
12-31-2004, 02:52 PM
That was awesome.

A few weeks ago I lost like, 2323 BBs at a 10/20 in like, 5 hours. I then put like, 6728 BBs on, like, red and like, I won. I'm like, awesome.

Tosh
12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love bad beat threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're almost as immense as flopped quads posts.

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 03:01 PM
They're almost as immense and flopped quads posts.

Tosh, you're adorable when you're drunk.

Tosh
12-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Lol, I'm sober. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ggbman
12-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Well thanks to Stinkypete for making the only comment remotley related to the thread. For people like bisonbison who who nothing better to do then make off topic, insulting comments, why dont you just go find something better to do. I posted a few stories, but wasnt look for sympathy or responses to those. As the thread said, i was interested in hearing other people stories, no dwelling on mine. Share a story or dont waste your time posting, it serves no purpose. When i posted this thread on WPTFAN, i got some cool responses, too bad stinkypete is the only one responding here.

ggbman
12-31-2004, 03:27 PM
I did not intend to isolate anyone in the last post, all i was doing was defending the intent of thread and nothing that I am not the one who is making it trash. I look forward to hearing real stories if anyone has some that they would like to share.

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 03:30 PM
The problem though, is that this is a strategy forum. The only real use for results around here as evidence of whether or not our reads are correct.

Even more so, any time you post bad beats, you will be ridiculed here, unless you have legit questions as to if you could have played it differently.

And to that point, don't raise preflop and check the flop when you hit your hand. I can't think of a single good reason to do that in limit hold 'em.

Tosh
12-31-2004, 03:38 PM
This is not the place. There are plenty of places to post bad beats online, but noone here wants to see them.

chesspain
12-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Go away, stupid troll.

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 03:43 PM
You titled your post "share you best single day comeback story" and then posted three unformatted bad beats from a 6-max game.

The title has nothing to do with the post, the content of the post is almost unreadable, 6-max hands are discussed elsewhere, and bad beats are the most boring, counterproductive topic in the entire universe of poker. You hit for the "I'm an idiot" cycle.

If you don't like it, I suggest you stick to the wptfan forums. This is the way the 2+2 forums operate. Shitty threads get shat upon.

ggbman
12-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Ok, so this a strategy forum, lets talk some strategy. You say why would you raise preflop, and then check the flop when i hit my hand. I would disagree with you on that comment. Look at the hand with where i have A10 and my opponent has A8. I am pretty sure that i have him in very bad shape here, so i give him a free card. That card makes him two pair, and now he is also convinced i dont have an ace. He check-raises me, and i get a 3rd bet in a on the turn as a 95% favorite. If i just bet the flop, be either calls in fear of a bigger ace, or maybe makes an exploratory raise, in which case i only get in 1 BB on the turn instead of three. Convince me that betting the flop here is better. Additionally, on the hand where i flop the set of aces of a rainbow flop, i felt i had the deck cripled. It was unlikley that giving one free card was going to give someone else a better hand. What if another 10 came on the turn. Then i get a ton of BB's in on the turn by letting him improve when he is drawing to 1 out. If you don't want to talk about your best comeback story, ok, tell me why you think my play was poor on these hands. Don't look at the end result, consider the long term EV of getting in 3 BB's on the turn as opposed to 1 as a 95% favorite.

arabie
12-31-2004, 03:47 PM
I just recovered 155BB from 167BB loss. I also went down 700 in 3/6 in a day and in the same day earned back another 1,200 on a hot streak. I'm sure the future will have many new stories. If you want to see a break up of upswings and downswings over a decent sample, click search, and look for "variance" and put "homer" as the username.

Also, look in someone elses hand posts to find the hand converter link and use that to post your hands. NOTE: It is considered impolite to post user's realnames on this forum. , you should refer to them by the position they are in.

Vinny Testaverde
12-31-2004, 03:48 PM
It was October 23rd 2000, After an achilles injury set myself and my team back in 1999, we were off to a good start. We felt like we had left the job undone in 98, and at 5-1 we were poised to smack around our bitter rivals the Miami Dolphins, under the BIG lights on Monday Night. Unfortunately we were thoroughly dominated through the first 3 quarters trailing 30 – 7 entering the fourth quarter. It was not until the eight minute mark in the second quarter when I even got a first down. After seeing Jason Taylor mocking us, I grew hungry, and I caught fire. the rest of the team woke up and went on a fourth quarter scoring frenzy. After some great calls by Al Groh, we tied it up on a 24 yard pass to Wayne Chrebet with 3:55 to go in the Fourth. (Wayne always comes through in the clutch). What really sucked, but was also most amazing about this comeback was that the Dolphins promptly scored after Chrebet’s touchdown. Ya gotta hand it to Jay Fielder (another long island guy!); he threw a long touchdown pass on the first play of Miami’s next possession to put the Fins back up by a touchdown.

On most days in the NFL this would have thoroughly demoralized a team that had fought so hard to come back and the game would have been over. But there was magic in the air in the Meadowlands this evening, and I marched the Jets down field and threw a touchdown pass on a tackle eligible play to Jumbo Elliot with 42 seconds left. In overtime we continued the onslaught following Marcus Coleman’s second interception, and a Jet drive ended with a 40 yard Hall field goal to win the game, and thus end the greatest regular season game in Jet history. The win put us at 6-1 and in command of their division, and gave hope to Jet Fans that this might be a team of destiny.

I just want to give a shout out to my old teammates, good luck on sunday guys!

ggbman
12-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Alright then man, but how about responding to discussion about whether or not i should given free cards on the hands brought up by river2pair. I'd be much more receptive to comments about that, even if there is a difference in opinion on our parts. Sorry that people don't like to share comeback stories i'll never post about it again. Would you object to the thread if i didnt post the hand histories, or is that what made is a poor topic for you?

ggbman
12-31-2004, 03:50 PM
I apologize for the etiquette breach of poster the real names of the users and will certainly be concious of it in the future.

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry that people don't like to share comeback stories i'll never post about it again.

You didn't share "comeback stories". You shared bad beats.

Your next post: Share stories about hotels in London.
Content: Last week I took a bus to Omaha.

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Look at the hand with where i have A10 and my opponent has A8. I am pretty sure that i have him in very bad shape here, so i give him a free card. That card makes him two pair, and now he is also convinced i dont have an ace. He check-raises me, and i get a 3rd bet in a on the turn as a 95% favorite. If i just bet the flop, be either calls in fear of a bigger ace, or maybe makes an exploratory raise, in which case i only get in 1 BB on the turn instead of three. Convince me that betting the flop here is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll call on the flop and raise the turn anyway.

ggbman
12-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Jesus christ man at the end of the post I explicitly asked for people to share their comeback stories. That said, i see no reason to continue bickering. I stated that i wouldnt post threads of this nature, and asked you to direct future posts regarding the comments that river2pair made about my slowplaying, because i would be interested to see who shares his opinion and who shares mine. If you would like to comment on play as river2pair did, i would be more than happy to have your take on it. I think we have pretty much beat the arguing to death at this point

ggbman
12-31-2004, 04:02 PM
"He'll call on the flop and raise the turn anyway. "

I disagree. If he is going to raise, he would do it on the flop. Why would he raise the turn when he can get an idea where he is on the cheap streets? I dont see him raising with a medicore kicker if i lead out on the turn again. It could happen, but i dont agree with your assumption that he's gonna try and lure me in with A8.

Vinny Testaverde
12-31-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus christ man at the end of the post I explicitly asked for people to share their comeback stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that. Please don't take the lord's name in vain...or at the very least Capitalize it. I'm one of the few Roman Catholic quarterbacks you know? That's why I am often compared to John F. Kennedy, that and because I am so great.

chesspain
12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
OMG...is Vinny T. still alive?

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
He lives in all of our hearts.

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, on the hand where i flop the set of aces of a rainbow flop, i felt i had the deck cripled. It was unlikley that giving one free card was going to give someone else a better hand. What if another 10 came on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if someone else raised, and you cold-called, maybe I could see your point, but you raised preflop. So people expect you to bet the flop whether you hit the flop or not. Against unthinking opponents, I would expect to get a lot more action in the long run by betting here, assuming that you bet the flop when you raise with something like AQs and miss too.

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"He'll call on the flop and raise the turn anyway. "

I disagree. If he is going to raise, he would do it on the flop. Why would he raise the turn when he can get an idea where he is on the cheap streets? I dont see him raising with a medicore kicker if i lead out on the turn again. It could happen, but i dont agree with your assumption that he's gonna try and lure me in with A8.

[/ QUOTE ]

He calls when you bet the flop because he has top pair. He raises when you bet the turn because he has aces up. I don't know of anyone who would fold top and second pair just because you raised preflop and bet on a ATx flop.

BottlesOf
12-31-2004, 04:18 PM
He's started all but one game for the Cowboys this year.

BottlesOf
12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
I remember watching this game. It may have been one of the greatest moments of my life.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 04:22 PM
I know, I have tears in my eyes reading it. Such a great team we had back then.

ggbman
12-31-2004, 04:55 PM
After reviewing it agree with you that you would have called the flop and raised the turn. I guess the only debate is really how much action i get if the 8 does not come on the turn but feigning weakness on the flop. What about the hand where i flopped the set of aces. Would you not have given a free card there?

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you not have given a free card there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I could make a case either way.

Thats the tough part about winning big pots, you have to have a strong hand and someone else has to have a strong second best hand.

That is unless you're playing against total retards, which is what I usually try to do.

Alexthegreat
12-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Hey gman.....If you raise preflop and bet the flop, you will make more for 2 reasons. One, you won't get your hands run down as often, because 3 card straights and flushes will usually fold, and two, the amount of money you make on the flop is equal to or greater than then extra bet or so you make on the occasions where your opponets hit the turn.

I will use your set of aces as an example. You flopped top set and let it ride. The turn card gave someone a 4 flush. You let him play the hand perfectly, instead of putting pressure on him to fold middle pair on the flop. The argument for letting him into a draw is a very poor one, unless it is a dead draw.

Also, you have to realize that when the flop is checked through, it's rare that the turn will help someone enough to get into a raising war with you. People like to bet and raise on the flop, they don't like to bet and raise on the turn....

Don't get greedy, bet your hands whenever you have the chance, and in the long run it will be +EV.

Kenrick
01-01-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen that episode a dozen times, but you still made me choke on my vodka as I read this. Good job.

Subfallen
01-01-2005, 06:44 AM
"It was unlikley that giving one free card was going to give someone else a better hand."
- ggbman

Hmm...I seem to remember Sklansky saying something about not giving free cards that could build DRAWS to beat you. Haven't you read HEP recently?

Two words: mathematical catastrophe.