PDA

View Full Version : AK UTG late in limit tourney

modaddy
12-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Down to final two tables (final table pays) in a B&M limit tourney. You are down to 6x the big blind and pick up AKo UTG. BB has you covered signficantly.

NL this is an easy problem. Limit, what is your plan?

Say you raise, BB (tricky, aggressive, excellent player) is only caller. Now you miss the flop (J86), BB checks. Take another stab or make a survival play by checking behind?

SossMan
12-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Are you checking behind with the intention of folding to a turn bet?

modaddy
12-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah I guess that is the question... is checking behind then folding to a turn bet a whacko thing in a limit tourney? Or should I be making a more aggressive effort to take it down on the flop, at the risk of crippling myself further if I meet resistance.

Yeah I know... "it depends". :-)

SossMan
12-31-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I guess that is the question... is checking behind then folding to a turn bet a whacko thing in a limit tourney? Or should I be making a more aggressive effort to take it down on the flop, at the risk of crippling myself further if I meet resistance.

Yeah I know... "it depends". :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I would at least take a stab at the pot on the flop for half price. The fact that he has a big stack is double edged. You probably have the best hand, and he'll probably call you down. I might bite the bullet and go ahead and get all in as early in the hand as possible.

fl0w
12-31-2004, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might bite the bullet and go ahead and get all in as early in the hand as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a limit tourney? Well, then you'd have to wait until the turn to go all in, even if he raises you.
If he just calls on the turn, you won't be able to go all-in until after the river.

I'd check and fold if miss but that might be too timid. He's playing from the big blind, he's tricky, he could've caught anything and with a big stack he'll see you, especially if it's possible to knock you out.
Therefore I'd check/fold.