PDA

View Full Version : Heads up vs bad players, blind vs blind

winky51
12-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Ok we all know that when you are blind vs blind and you are 1st to act you check raise your opponent with a hand. 99% of the time when you check they will instinctly bet to pick up the pot.

Now bad players hate being check-raised, as we all do, but since we are superior players we know when to fold, they don't. So comes the point of my post.

When you think that the opponent missed the flop and you missed it also is it better to still check raise him or bet out 1st in.

I have found that in almost all cases if I check raise and my opponent missed he will stay to the end because he would hate being bluffed out of a pot. By betting out I have know where I was more often and had opponents fold more often.

Example your opponent raise from the button with A6 offtuit. You call with 98s. Both miss the flop and you suspect that so you try to pick up the pot.

I find the check raise will make Mr. Ace high stay in to the end no matter what. Betting out they usually raise when they have something and delay call when they don't or delay fold.

I have found that playing my psychological game at 3/6 has to be adjusted because of bad player reactions.

Comments, thoughts?

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Ok we all know that when you are blind vs blind and you are 1st to act you check raise your opponent with a hand.

I don't know this.

99% of the time when you check they will instinctly bet to pick up the pot.

it's instinctively. And it's not true.

Now bad players hate being check-raised, as we all do,

Yeah

but since we are superior players we know when to fold,

We do?

they don't.

Ok.

rest of it

I bet good hands. I bet bad hands. I bet the nuts. I bet bluffs.

Check-raises heads-up have a distinct smell, like new shoes in a new car. They are intriguing and require investigation. Bets are odorless.

holdemfan
12-31-2004, 12:17 PM
If you have the hand HU bet it or lose it.

winky51
12-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the good laugh.

So explain why you just bet every hand HU?

chesspain
12-31-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok we all know that when you are blind vs blind and you are 1st to act you check raise your opponent with a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must've missed that issue of the newsletter.

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 12:32 PM
I didn't say I bet every hand HU, just that I bet a wide variety of hands.

I don't check-raise much HU. And usually only when I have called a raise in the blind and flopped something decent to great. But then again, I may just bet. It depends.

winky51
12-31-2004, 01:22 PM
My mistake I should have been more specific. This post relates to when a LP player raises and you call the raise in the BB.

I have read that in several places. Lederer suggests it, in a couple books suggest it also.

What it does is the following:

Aggressive players who are always trying to steal your blinds should generally be check raised. This lets them know that they can't buly you around and makes them think twice about raising your blinds all the time. You check raise when you have a hand. When you keep doing this eventually that aggressive player will slow down and even check behind you when he does not have a hand thus giving you a free card. This strategy works well in 5/10 Sh games. But in my 3/6 games it does not. People just call down with A high or K high or even try to bluff back at you.

In TH4AP it says that basically an aggressive player always betting at you HU will win unless you do something about it.

In my games I like to keep all my players predictable. So I posted this to ask an opinion and the why behind if your opinion differs.

Predictable bad players, I find, will still be...

#1 Call down with improper odds making you $$$.
#2 Will not bluff at you as often and only raise when they really have something better, thus saving you money.
#3 Will fold to your bluff when you bet at the pot.

So by betting at them after they raise me I make them more predictable and in the long run make/save more money in my opinion. I bet when I have a hand or when I feel they don't. I save my check raising for good hands, top pair great kicker or better. Because I know they will call down hating that they were check raised.

You can't tell me that #1 #2 #3 are the dream table scenario with these player playing too many hands and going too far with them. When my table is like #1 #2 and #3 I win a lot.

chesspain
12-31-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My mistake I should have been more specific. This post relates to when a LP player raises and you call the raise in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mistake was in mistitling your post.