PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried this classifies me as a bad person.

dr. klopek
12-31-2004, 07:33 AM
The other day on my way to work, on the bus, I sat down next to this chick in the front where the seats face the aisle. A man asked her if the bag sitting on another seat was hers. She said it was and he warned her not to forget it. She replied, "Oh, I won't forget that, it's my work clothes." The man sitting across from her asked what she did.
It was then that I noticed him, a portly man in his thirties, hugging his backpack to his chest. He had a shirt on that said "1 to 1 Tutoring Program," scrawled in a multi-colored, childish crayon. This, his appearance, body language and speech gave me the impression that he was..."handicapped."
She replied that she was a lingerie model, which, by my assessment of her features, was a lie. He began asking her questions about things like what company she worked for, she answered a few of them, clearly uninterested in the conversation.
"Have you ever jumped out of a cake?" He asked her.
"Nope."
"Would you?"
"For enough money I would." She proclaimed, annoyed.
He then proceeded to ask her exactly how much she would charge. She shot down his initial guess of "about a hundred bucks" quickly. While I was looking away from him to avoid making the classless play of bursting into laughter, I noticed that there were two other guys nearby doing the same.
"A couple hundred bucks." she stated, hoping it would end the conversation.
"Oh, I could afford that easily, I got lots of money," he said, his expression unchanged. "Well, I got a friend who does," he corrected, still squinting through his glasses, clutching his backpack.
"Oh." Came her dismissive reply.
"He flies planes...Do you have a boyfriend?"
"Yes." She said quickly, hoping this was her one out.
"I was going to ask you out on a date."
He turned to the woman next to him. "The good ones are all taken, huh?" He asked her. She agreed with pity in her voice. "Do you have a boyfriend?" He asked hopefully. She told him she was married.
I turned back toward the two guys who were containing their laughter, and lost it. Just completely dropped the ball. I stared laughing out loud. I think I even stomped on the floor a couple times. He turned and pointed at me.
"You're laughing at me." He accused. Causing me to laugh even harder.
"Naw man," I managed, "I'm not laughing."
"Yes you are," he insisted, "That's not nice."
"It's cool man, I'm not laughin." I said and turned away. He got off two stops later.

This is bad right? I mean, I had assumed he was "handicapped," yet I laughed at him. At length. I didn't want to start, but I couldn't stop. (There's another situation in which my behavior raises similar questions, but this is already too [censored] long. Maybe later.)

Michael Davis
12-31-2004, 07:36 AM
Maybe she was a plus size. Anyways, if you're looking to hedge off a pickup, telling a guy you're a lingerie model is a really bad move as long as he's already talking to you.

I hardly think this makes you a bad person. I mean, some stuff is funny even if we wish it weren't.

-Michael

DBowling
12-31-2004, 08:39 AM
dude. thats [censored] hilarious. stop being so hard on yourself.

AdamK
12-31-2004, 09:23 AM
I fail to understand what difference the guy being "handicapped" makes.
Would you not feel so bad if he was "normal"?
Either way, i dont see how this makes you a bad person.

I have a sister with mental handicaps, she's always making me laugh with some of the stupid things she says. Ive never felt this classified me as a bad person. Although, i guess the difference is that id be laughing with her, rather than at her.

Anyway, nice story. I think i would have laughed too.
You dont need to categorise yourself as a bad person, and you dont need to classify other people as "normal" or "handicapped".

gaming_mouse
12-31-2004, 09:48 AM
This is hilarious, and I love it that you were unable to control your laughter. Nothing wrong with a little healthy shadenfreude.

gm

balkii
12-31-2004, 04:14 PM
you're on the bus, man. if you aren't gonna enjoy the "natural amusement" provided to us by god, then you're not gonna have much fun.

Rushmore
12-31-2004, 04:42 PM
There is an infamous video on the internet called traingirl. I won't link it--do a search if you want to see it.

It's a diminutive adult woman who gets the bright idea to run across the train tracks as the train is coming.

She gets pretty well wiped out.

Now, this is funny in its own way. I laugh at it.

And I assure you, I am not a bad person.

Some stuff is funny, even if the circumstances are not.

brassnuts
12-31-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm in no way calling you a bad person for finding traingirl funny. I'd just like to say that I found it quite sickening.

Edit: I just re-read your original post. First time reading through, I had skipped over the part where you stated it was an adult woman. That makes it a lot less disgusting.