PDA

View Full Version : When to fold in a large pot?

TightInn
12-31-2004, 02:47 AM
I just finished up SSHE and it was the first thing to get me started playing limit hold 'em seriously (most all attempts thus far have been when I intended to join a NL tournament and was forced to play limit). I feel I'm a good NL and poker player in general, but I could learn some more about limit.

How many bets/raises etc do you need to see to get away from your hands in big pots if you hold something marginal?
Example:

You hold JJ and an early position raises, several players cold call, you make it 3 bets, and he caps it. The pot ends up being 5 way with 20 small bets in thus far.
The flop comes out with all rags. PF capper bets, you raise, he reraises. Do you cap it? What if you do and he leads out on the turn?

Similar situation:
You hold JJ and there's a raise preflop. You make it 3 bets in between a few callers, and the raiser calls (I put him then on AQs, AK, TT or QQ). Let's say the pot holds 18 small bets. Flop comes K high. He bets, you raise, he reraises. Your decision?

These are situations that I imagine will come up often playing how Ed Miller recommends, where you try to protect your hands in big pots, even when you think you're likely beaten.. I was just curious how loose you'll play on the flop and later streets..

Rubeskies
12-31-2004, 02:52 AM
In example one, a strong case can be made for waiting to raise on the turn. You can only give them 11:1 odds which is good enough to draw to many, many hands. If you wait to raise on the turn if a favorable card comes, you can cut their odds down to around 7:1 depending on how many players call.

As for making those folds, reads are quite helpful.

TightInn
12-31-2004, 03:01 AM
Oh, I wasn't really thinking about protecting my hand in the first example as much as I was thinking that I was beat (since someone capped it and never slowed down AA, KK and QQ all seem likely, with AK/AQs still possible and providing several outs).

As far as reads, let's just assume it's an average small stakes player that you do put on likely a premium but not an overly aggressive one.

Rubeskies
12-31-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I wasn't really thinking about protecting my hand in the first example as much as I was thinking that I was beat (since someone capped it and never slowed down AA, KK and QQ all seem likely, with AK/AQs still possible and providing several outs).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you are beat and don't want to protect your hand, why did you raise the flop?

River2Pair
12-31-2004, 03:37 AM
maybe to help define your hand if there is a possibility you're thinking of laying down on the turn

Cardzy
12-31-2004, 04:21 AM
Hey Tight, I'm not gonna bother replying to your example situation as others have done that. My suggestion though is to play it and post some actual hands played that you had questoins about. You will get tons of great help that way.