PDA

View Full Version : I hate when I play hands like this

Jon34
12-31-2004, 02:46 AM
1/2NLHE, I have a big stack, about ~450 or so, covering everyone, its a fairly soft table.

I have KdJd in the CO. a couple limps to me, I limp, 5 to the flop.
Flop is K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
checks around to me, I bet 11 into a pot of $9.50, everyone folds to MP, who calls, with about 130 or so left after the call.
Turn is an offsuit 5. He checks, I bet 22 into the 30ish pot, figuring that is enough so he doesn't have close to odds to call on a flush draw. He check minraises me to 44, and I just call, even though it feels really strong from him and as I am not drawing, it should most likely be a raise/fold situation.
River is an offsuit Jack, giving me top two. He pushes for 85 more. I groan and think for a little bit, and fold.

Help on all streets appreciated.

lapoker17
12-31-2004, 02:52 AM
Check behind on the turn. On the river - if he bets out strong, you should probably muck, if he checks, you check behind.

Jon34
12-31-2004, 02:54 AM
check behind on the turn? and give a free card to AcQh or something? Thats not a line I particularly like.
Looking back I think I should have just folded to the check raise and let it go at that. I just have trouble folding to minraises.

mythrilfox
12-31-2004, 02:57 AM
Fold on the turn raise. This screams of a flopped flush.

Jon34
12-31-2004, 03:08 AM
I agree in retrospect. I wanted to fold on the turn but the minraises kill me. you're getting more than 3:1 on your money and minraises are so weak. I'll save the 22 bucks next time, thanks.

lapoker17
12-31-2004, 03:46 AM
You have one pair - and not even a strong kicker. You want to play small pots when you have one pair in nearly any case, but especially when the board is that ugly. You're not going to win big pots with one pair in NL. Be happy to win small ones (by keeping them small) and win your big pots with monsters.

soah
12-31-2004, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree in retrospect. I wanted to fold on the turn but the minraises kill me. you're getting more than 3:1 on your money and minraises are so weak. I'll save the 22 bucks next time, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What good is 3:1 if you're drawing dead? As Ciaffone wrote, "beware of Greeks bearing gifts."

The only reason to call the raise is because you think you have the best hand (the jack on the river should be irrelevent). This is either because your opponent is a freaking moron and thinks his king-rag is the nuts, or because your opponent is semi-bluffing. If your opponents at the 1/2 level are making moves like that as a semi-bluff then you need to work a lot on your game selection. In low limit games against non-maniacs your opponent's line is from a hand which is begging for action. You can't beat anything which is begging for action on that board.