PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone justify, or even condone, what I did here?

Harv72b
12-31-2004, 02:31 AM
Reads: I know that mentioning someone specifically by screenname is a no-no, but the poster/villian in this hand had just sat down, I had zero hands on him in my database, and his screenname heavily implied somebody who bluffs a lot. I went on that hunch in this hand...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB

I felt really smart after this hand, so would somebody please remind me just how stupid this whole thing was?

bottomset
12-31-2004, 02:34 AM
I'd fold preflop, K8off is weak, often dominated and you are out of position

if not preflop, no reason to continue on the flop when you missed

Rubeskies
12-31-2004, 02:34 AM
Everyone knows you can play a hand well and lose.

Here's an example of playing a hand poorly and winning.

Crazy poker

Kirg
12-31-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and his screenname heavily implied somebody who bluffs a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading several articles here and there stating that if someone has a nick like for example Bluffsalot they are usually rocks, and someone with a nick like Neverbluff will be bluffing all the time. I can't say I have found these conclusions to be wrong, most of the time people play exactly the opposite of their nick.

On a sidenote (was mentioned in the same article) anyone with a rounders-related nick or any nick with PRO, CHAMP or the like in it is usually a huge fish.

I also have to say that when as a TAG you have a nick like this you sure do get a lot more action (try it out on your next new I'm-just-here-to-bonus-whore site)

EDIT: Uhh, before anyone misunderstands this, in no way am I saying you should use any of this as reads, go by numbers and observations for that. I'm just stating an interesting (well, to me at least :P)factoid that should not be used in any decision making.

cnfuzzd
12-31-2004, 02:45 AM
others are correct in that defending, even against a possible aggresive poster, is probably not a good idea. However, i also dont like the turn raise. You probably have almost 0% fold equity, are not 100% sure of your read (given that its based solely on a screename) and have a hand that could be drawing severally thin, or if ahead, is likely to encounter many scare cards on the river.

peace

john nickle

bisonbison
12-31-2004, 02:49 AM
and his screenname heavily implied somebody who bluffs a lot.

Yeah, ugh.

Alexthegreat
12-31-2004, 02:52 AM
It is hard for me to justify this. However, I can condone it....In fact, this type of play is encouraged where I play....would you like the number??

Harv72b
12-31-2004, 03:19 AM
Thank you. I feel much more grounded now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regarding the thing with the nickname, this was more in line with what Kirg brought up. In the most generic terms, his screenname instructed his opponents to fold their hands, in a rather rude manner.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fully confirm my LAG "read", as he lost his 12.5 BB buy-in in less than 10 hands.

arkady
12-31-2004, 03:21 AM

helpmeout
12-31-2004, 03:28 AM
Its not that bad, its best to have a decent read and a backdoor draw in these situations.

These plays are good but dont try them too often.

Kenrick
12-31-2004, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would somebody please remind me just how stupid this whole thing was?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was stupid.

StellarWind
12-31-2004, 12:40 PM
The check on the turn was good.

sfwusc
12-31-2004, 12:57 PM
First off---this time it was stupid /images/graemlins/smile.gif. You have no read from real play. The name thing is right a lot though. I have more fish with neverbluff, rounder names, and such than anyone would believe /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have played worse hands against people I have good reads on. In those cases you have to know they will lay down to aggr play. It usually helps if they show aggr back with made hands. Otherwise you never know how to play them.

you have trash and raise from say the BB. (you want to be out of position. It makes your bet seem more threating)

flop is A K Q you bet he calls

turn is A you bet, he folds.(a flush draw works too, but you need a scare card)

If he ever raises, then you throw those cards at the dealer. Then a nice comment like you drawing fish is in order. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I won one night with whitekite at the table against this other guy with trash all night. whitknite thought i was a fish b/c my vpip at that table was like 30%. 10,2 is a good hand if the other person wont play theirs.

Also, they should be done so rarely. I mean like 1 out of a lot of sessions. In the past I have tried it one time agaisnt a player and done it until it didnt work. When I felt gutsy.

SFWUSC