PDA

View Full Version : Bad read, bad play ... both?

bts
12-31-2004, 01:53 AM
FYI, it was a SNG single table. Up until this play, I was extremely tight ... though this isn't a factor in the hand below.

It's tough for me to analyze this, considering I'm a relative newbie.

TIA for any insight.

***** Hand History for Game *****
50/100 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL)
(Real Money) -- Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: hero (1485)
Seat 5: x (3865)
Seat 6: y (1260)
Seat 7: antihero (1390)
y posts small blind (25)
antihero posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ 6d, 6c ]
hero calls (50)
x folds.
y calls (25)
antihero raises (150) to 200
hero calls (150)
y folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8c, Td, Th ]
antihero checks.
hero bets (300)
antihero calls (300)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Tc ]
antihero checks.
hero bets (985)
hero is all-In.
antihero calls (890)
antihero is all-In.
** Dealing River ** : [ Jc ]
Creating Main Pot with $2830 with antihero
Creating Side Pot 1 with $95 with hero
** Summary **
Main Pot: 2830 | Side Pot 1: 95
Board: [ 8c Td Th Tc Jc ]
hero balance 95, bet 1485, collected 95, lost -1390 [ 6d 6c ] [ a full house, Tens full of sixes -- Td,Th,Tc,6d,6c ]
x balance 3865, didn't bet (folded)
y balance 1210, lost 50 (folded)
antihero balance 2830, bet 1390, collected 2830, net +1440 [ Js Ts ] [ four of a kind, tens -- Js,Ts,Td,Th,Tc ]

K C
12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Since no one has replied yet, I'll take a shot at this for you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Being first to act in this situation, it's probably best to throw this hand away right at the outset. That's because you really don't want to be calling any kind of real raise - anything beyond 2x the blind. Generally. you're not going to get the correct odds here. Especially in a tournament, you want to be careful with how you spend your chips.

The guy did raise to 200, which you called. In most cases you're going to have to hit another 6 to have a good shot at the pot. At least you get heads up against the raiser which is to your benefit.

The flop's a pretty good one for you. Now he needs a T,8, or higher pocket pair to beat you. Now, this might seem overcautious to you, but if he does have you beat, his checking might indicate a slow play, so I'd check back. If I have him beat, there's plenty of time to get some of his money, and I probably will be able to get more if he thinks I have nothing. Now, if he has me beat, I'm going to find out on the turn, as it's unlikely he'll check again with the goods.

By betting though, you're playing into his hand. Now he can continue to slow play you, and he's got you exactly where he wants you. And, by going all-in on the turn, you overbet the pot, meaning that the only real way you'll get a call is if he's got you beat.

Defending against slow play isn't easy, but it's often better not to be too eager, as you'll play right into their hands, as was the case here.

I wouldn't say you played badly here, your opponent just played better.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com

smoore
01-01-2005, 12:45 AM
His raise, my 66? I'm gone. Never would have entered the pot. After you did, his check/call is a little suspicious. What on earth could he have that would make him check/call there? I'd say a T. With nearly anything else he's either going to bet at you or check/raise you, simply to guage your hand.

That assumes that he's a good player, a crappy player will check/call here all day long.

In any case I'm not about to push on the turn here, I'll check behind and fold when he bets the river. Yeah, you're crippled but you have to figure you're beat at that point. Although you do have a full house, absolutely nothing on the board made your hand improve yet he's going to bet into you (considering you don't push)... you're usually beat when that happens.

bts
01-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the comments.

jackaaron
01-03-2005, 11:10 AM
When the three 10's came up, anyone that had a pocket pair over you from 7's up has you beat right? So, even though it's extremely hard to swallow, maybe you fold then. I don't think the four of a kind really matters (odds of someone having one are so low) as much as having the lower pocket pair of a full house with 3 10's on the board.

bts
01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When the three 10's came up, anyone that had a pocket pair over you from 7's up has you beat right?

[/ QUOTE ]
That kinda gets right to the point. Feels more and more like a few compound beginner mistakes; not the least of which is giving too much weight to a good hand which is far from the nuts.

Thanks for the guidance.