PDA

View Full Version : Teaching STT's

Awesemo
12-30-2004, 11:15 PM
My friend wants me to teach him how to be a winning player at partypoker SnG's. I am currently a $30+3 player who gets about 30% roi so I feel that I am qualified to teach him. How much time should I expect it to take to teach him? He has little experience in playing NLHE but basically knows how valuable starting hands are. I plan to let him play SnG's with my money while I'm watching and giving advice and discussing strategy. Is this the most effective method of teaching? How should I make sure that he is ready to play on his own?

captZEEbo1
12-30-2004, 11:32 PM
I'd have him watch complete hand histories (teamfu.freeshell.org has some nice ones, some with commentary too). Then have him ask questions as much as possible of situations he doesn't understand. Perhaps you can explain different situations to him too. You can never really be SURE he's ready to play on his own. But one decent way to do it is to watch him play a game, and after he's done, then tell him all the things you'd do differently (that is, after he's watched you play a few games, and played some games with you giving him pointers throughout). Also, you can just check up on him every 5 games or so once he is on his own (to make sure he's not making stupid mistakes) by looking at all his saved hand histories. He doesn't have to have an ROI of 30% before he can play on his own, remember. All he has to be is have an ROI of about 0% or maybe even slightly less (he could start out with a -10% ROI and after like 10-20 games or so, be up to about a 0-10% ROI). All he has to be is not terrible.

Byrn
12-30-2004, 11:55 PM
What is his bankroll? Do you really think he can learn to win?

If he has enough bankroll i would send him right to 10+1 after a few primer lessons on tight play early and aggressive play late and perhaps a few other concepts.

I ask if you think he can learn because I have a friend who really just will never implement proper strategy. He finally figured that out for himself and now only plays play money for fun. It does take a fair amount of discipline to win.

Sounds like you are fairly cautious though, that is wise.