PDA

View Full Version : 98s- all this action....did I do it right!

captZEEbo1
12-30-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't know what was going on here....Firstly, I think my limp was probably a bad limp, comments (is this a table-dependent situation, or is it just a bad limp no matter what)? Secondly, I think my 3bet was good on the flop, but not sure. Obviously I have a strong hand if I'm facing a single pair. I had bet-raise clicked for fun and didn't realize I was going to be 3-betting, but when I think about it, I still think it was a good play. On the one hand, I want to get out overcard draws and two-pair draws, but on the other hand, I don't want to screw up my flush draw? Comments? The oher problem was MP3 cold-calling 3bets, that's what had me REALLY worried. What do you guys think of my turn and river plays? My river play might be kind of weak, but I was pretty sure I was beat, so I was HOPING that the guy behind would just check (like he maybe missed a flush draw or something), when he didn't, I was getting amazing pot odds, so I decided to call, hoping somehow everyone was an idiot.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Russ McGinley
12-30-2004, 11:06 PM
It was a bad limp. You should almost always fold when its passed to you in MP. Occasionally I will try a bluff raise here but I will almost never call first in.

The SB and BB could have anything and you don't know whether or not your hand is good. Obviously your 3-bet was only effective in getting the SB out but the BB probably has you beat and the MP player is also coming along so he's got some draw. If its clubs you are likely in deep trouble.

I don't mind the turn bet. It wasn't capped so nobody has a set or a made straight yet.

I fold the river. The only conceivable hand you beat is 97. With a bet and a call, your overcall is not good. Fold.

captZEEbo1
12-31-2004, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The SB and BB could have anything and you don't know whether or not your hand is good. Obviously your 3-bet was only effective in getting the SB out but the BB probably has you beat and the MP player is also coming along so he's got some draw. If its clubs you are likely in deep trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that my 3bet on the flop was good or bad?

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-31-2004, 01:43 AM
I don't like your preflop limp much. Put a limper in front of me and it's probably OK.

I don't like the flop 3-bet either...given the action up to you you are most likely behind, and your 3-bet makes it more likely you will drive out the people behind you, who you want to call on the flop so you get value on your draw.

Russ McGinley
12-31-2004, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad, but what were you planning to do if it was capped? Now you are certainly beat and hoping your club draw is live. I would have called the BB's raise. On the turn, after you had 3-bet, I probably would have checked and hoped to hit a club because that seems like its the only way you were going to win, save for maybe an 8 and possibly a 9.

captZEEbo1
12-31-2004, 02:52 AM
here are the results:

mjhalloran shows [ 8h, 8d ] a pair of eights.
mike_sharpe doesn't show [ 7d, 6d ] a pair of sixes.
captZEEbo shows [ 9c, 8c ] a pair of nines.

I'm pretty sure I was thinking too results-oriented and thinking I might have played it okay, but on second thought (and the post), I am pretty sure it was terrible.

Kaz The Original
12-31-2004, 04:44 AM
I don't see how else you could have played it, aside from preflop. Maybe bet the river.