PDA

View Full Version : 1/3rd of the Season NBA thread

Non_Comformist
12-30-2004, 09:50 PM
With the season 1/3rd completed and NFL nearly complete I think it is a good time to get some thoughts and predictions on the final 2/3rds of the regular season.

The West

The Sonics and Suns have been the surpise teams with the Spurs being their consistent self. The T-wolves are disappointing but still playing well. However Denver and Utah have probably been the most disappointing teams, perhaps the Rockets as well.

My conference predictions
1.Spurs
2.Suns
3.T-Wolves
4.Sonics
5.kings
6.Lakers
7.Mavericks
8.Rockets

I think the Spurs eventually pass the Suns and I think the Sonics fade slightly. I see the Lakers playing better in the 2nd half than 1st and eventually Yao and McGrady figuring it out soon enough to beat out the Clips and Blazers for the final spot.

Western Conference MVP Tim Duncan slightly over Steve Nash.

Eastern Conference

Shaq has been the diffence maker leading the Heat to the best record. The Cavs, Bullets /images/graemlins/wink.gif, Magic and Knicks all could be considered suprise teams except the conference is so weak. Detroit & Milwaukee have been disappointing.

My predictions
1.Miami
2.Cleveland
3.Detroit
4.Indiana
5.Orlando
6.New Jersey
7.Washington DC
8.New York

Shaq and Lebron will continue to lead their teams and I see Detroit and Indiana making a strong push late. A healtly Jkidd and yes Vince Carter make New Jersey stronger with Orlando, New York and Washington fading some but remaining above 500 and beating out Philadelphia.

MVP --Shaq easily over Lebron for this season and next before Lebron dominates the award for many years.

Your Thoughts?

Non_Comformist
12-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Not an NBA crowd huh?

Clarkmeister
12-31-2004, 05:29 AM
MVP should be Nash. Followed by Shaq, James, Garnett and Duncan. I could be persuaded about the order of picks 2-5 but so far Nash to me is clearly #1.

The Spurs are yet again the favorite to win it all IMO, but they are definitely beatable. Ignoring Detroit's upset last year, it's the most wide open season in a long time.

Sooga
12-31-2004, 05:45 AM
The Suns scare me, a lot, and if you're a Suns fan, they should scare you too. They're running over the league right now, but their bench isn't just thin, it's damn near nonexistent. If they suffer an injury to ANY of their starters, they're gonna be lookin in really bad shape.

Toro
12-31-2004, 10:06 AM
A week ago I would have argued the Celtics would crack the top eight but the last 3 games they totally sucked.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 10:48 AM
How the hell do you put New York in the eighth seed, when they played a really tough opening schedule, are leading the Atlantic and are getting better each game..? (My non-response has been because of protest of this /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

jakethebake
12-31-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not an NBA crowd huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was one?

Zeno
12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
The biggest suprise this playing season is that so far (correct me if I'm wrong) no Portland Trailblazer has been charged with a crime. Rather shocking no? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Beyond that, the NBA no longer holds much interest for me. Perhaps some around playoff time.

-Zeno