PDA

View Full Version : Question about K5o

Perk
12-30-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm one of the final 5 players in a 3-table $20 buy-in tourney that pays the top 3 places. Avg. stack size is about 7000 and I have 8000. Blinds are 1000/2000. I'm dealt K5o on the button. UTG calls, MP folds, I fold, SB folds, BB goes all-in for 4000 total. UTG calls with 73s vs. BB's J7o. The dealer (who busted out earlier) looks at my cards and criticizes me for folding K5. I tell him I'm waiting to make the money and K5 is a hand that I think I'll get in trouble with. I would've ended up winning with King high, but I still feel that I made the right fold. Next hand I get dealt K5o again. UTG calls and goes all in for 5000 total. I fold again, button folds, SB calls, BB calls. Flop is K A 3. SB and BB check. Turn 5. Both check. River 5. Checks again. BB wins with a pair of aces. The dealer looked at my mucked cards again and criticized me again, after seeing that I would've made a full house, telling me that I should be playing it in a shorthanded game. I told him again that K5 wasn't the hand to play and still felt I made the right pre-flop move. Do you guys think K5 is worth risking half your stack with shorthanded?

FWIW, I fold next hand. When BB comes to me, I get K4 of spades and check it to see the flop. Flop is 3 8 J all spades. I check, MP calls me all in with 55. I call. Turn is a J. River is a 5.

tiger7210
12-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Both were easy folds with Blinds being what they were.

Saying you should have called there is entirely results oriented.

Perk
12-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Cool, I wasn't sure if the poker world saw K5 as one of those crappy hands that could be played shorthanded or not. Just had to make sure, as I'm still learning a lot about the game.

Potowame
12-30-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The dealer (who busted out earlier) looks at my cards and criticizes me for folding K5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respond, Just keep dealing rail bird /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Easy fold especially if they are willing to take each other out like this on the button.