PDA

View Full Version : FDNY and NYPD on 9/11

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 06:10 PM
What did they do besides run into the building and die?

I've been looking around a bit on the internet and I have no idea.

All I see are pictures and memorials.

daryn
12-30-2004, 06:19 PM
i assume they probably saved some people's lives. also, i think a lot of their hero-status was earned by putting themselves in such a precarious situation solely to help others.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If you aren't joking then I forever hate you, seriously.

Shajen
12-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Sponger,

I don't know if you are being funny or just being extremely insensitive.

Either way...if you have to ask the question..I don't know how to respond to that. I'm really hoping this was humor.

ChoicestHops
12-30-2004, 06:23 PM
It was pretty bad humor. Let's laugh at people dying trying to help other people from dying. It shows character.

dr. klopek
12-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the firefighter/giuliani/bush worshipping got way out of control?

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't joking then I forever hate you, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't joking.

Seriously, what did they do?

Not trying to bash them or anything, just wondering.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that thinks the giuliani/bush worshipping got way out of control?

[/ QUOTE ] no, I def think this, but as for the firefighters, police, and port authority personel that died, they deserve everyones admiration for being as brave as they were. My cousin that was a police chief in NJ went to a funeral every day for 45 days straight.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't joking.

[/ QUOTE ]I wasn't joking either. Some day Sponger you'll grow up and cease being a child. When that day happens you will join the real world, then you will be able to answer your question yourself.

Shajen
12-30-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

They gave their lives getting civilians and innocents out of a burning building.

They put aside their fear and went UP the stairs instead of down. They saved several thousand lives.

Dude, come on!

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They saved several thousand lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

source?

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't joking either. Some day Sponger you'll grow up and cease being a child. When that day happens you will join the real world, then you will be able to answer your question yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what this means.

Could you, being a mature and intelligent adult in the real world, please explain it to me?

Shajen
12-30-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

source?

[/ QUOTE ]

ME. And Millions of other people who watched live.

B Dids
12-30-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't joking either. Some day Sponger you'll grow up and cease being a child. When that day happens you will join the real world, then you will be able to answer your question yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what this means.

Could you, being a mature and intelligent adult in the real world, please explain it to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger, you know how one time people told you that you weren't as bad as you used to be? And you said something like "yeah, I realized I was being stupid".

You should realize that again.

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

source?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching before the 2nd plane hit.

Then I watched TV for 3 straight days.

I really don't remember....hearing about what they actually did.

IndieMatty
12-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Me. Sponger. You must have a point, please elaborate.

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sponger, you know how one time people told you that you weren't as bad as you used to be? And you said something like "yeah, I realized I was being stupid".

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just have been skipping past your good posts, but I really can't think of that many of your posts where you haven't insulted whoever you were replying to. You are becoming an increasingly negative person.

That being said, I might agree with you.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just have been skipping past your good posts, but I really can't think of that many of your posts where you haven't insulted whoever you were replying to. You are becoming an increasingly negative person.

That being said, I might agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]Dids speaks the truth. When he calls me out, he is right probably 90% of the time. In this case, he is 100% right.

daryn
12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
by the way, why did everyone flip out over this thread, instead of just answering sponger like i did?

Ulysses
12-30-2004, 08:32 PM
A good friend of mine from college who is married to one of my closest friends was on the floor right below where one of the planes hit. Firefighters with lights guided everyone they could, including Billy, out of the building. While some were doing that, others were going up to try and rescue people trapped in the fires. Not long after Billy was safely outside, the building collapsed, killing many of those very firefighters that guided him out.

That's one thing I know some of them did.

The once and future king
12-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Not so much what they did as what they attempted to do.

Or

They gave their lives serving others.

The obviousness of these asnwers is perhaps why people are on your case about your question.

GuyOnTilt
12-30-2004, 08:35 PM

Pretty stupid response. Sponger's asking a legitimate question. Why can't people give him a legitimate answer?

To Sponger: I have no idea, but I would assume they did save quite a number of lives by organizing evacs in buildings, keeping spectators distanced from the WTC as much as they could, keeping the peace and controlling mob mentatlity just by being there, etc. I have no source for any of this because I haven't looked, but that seems plausible to me. I would doubt anybody could put a number of how many or how few lives they actually saved though and consequently if that number outweighed how many FDNY and NYPD lives were lost in the effort.

GoT

daryn
12-30-2004, 08:42 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

Pretty stupid response. Sponger's asking a legitimate question. Why can't people give him a legitimate answer?

To Sponger: I have no idea, but I would assume they did save quite a number of lives by organizing evacs in buildings, keeping spectators distanced from the WTC as much as they could, keeping the peace and controlling mob mentatlity just by being there, etc. I have no source for any of this because I haven't looked, but that seems plausible to me. I would doubt anybody could put a number of how many or how few lives they actually saved though and consequently if that number outweighed how many FDNY and NYPD lives were lost in the effort.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you missed the second post in the thread /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IndieMatty
12-30-2004, 08:47 PM
I didn't jump all over him. When he asked for "proof?" I said, "Me" (I know your response is to Shajen) because I was about 100 feet from there when the second plane hit.

But to phrase a question like this shows a hidden agenda and disrespectfulness.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it hard to believe that he thinks that all firefighters and police did was run into an empty unstable/burning building(s) for the hell of it. Please.

Non_Comformist
12-30-2004, 08:51 PM
I agree it's an obvious attempt to get a reaction out of people which it did. To act surprised to that it did or to need an explanationa as to why is stupid.

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's an obvious attempt to get a reaction out of people which it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, and neither do 1/2 of the people that responded to this thread.

Many things I post sound completely different from what I actually indend them to be, simply because I have no idea what I'm talking about or how to explain my thoughts in a logical manner.

Sponger15SB
12-30-2004, 09:01 PM
That was more of the response that I was looking for, thank you El Diablo.

I was talking with a 2+2er about this thread (not the 2 people anyone is thinking of), and we were trying to think things up.

Helping people out of the building is one thing, as well as evacuating the people out of the area around the WTC and surrounding buildings, which no doubt saved lives.

Another question: Did anyone think the towers were going to collape?

PoBoy321
12-30-2004, 09:02 PM
I completely agree that the firefighter/police worship that followed 9/11 was kind of over the top. That being said, I think that they indeed DID save untold lives, not only in organizing evacuations out of the building, but also in crowd control, keeping people away from the buildings (and therefore the falling debris when the towers did fall).

I was a sophomore in High School when it happened, and I had to drive through Manhattan to get home. No way was that happening. There was no traffic going into or coming off of the island, and the NYPD was able to ensure that there wasn't a giant influx of people coming onto the island and generally wreaking havoc in the aftermath.

As for the NYFD, people forget that they were largely responsible for the cleanup efforts after 9/11. After the two towers fell, there were also several other buildings in the world trade center that were on fire and needed to be extinguished, which obviously fell under the jurisdiction of the NYFD.

IndieMatty
12-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Nope, if it interests anyone I can type "my story" tomorrow at work. I'm sure all the NY posters have one.

B Dids
12-30-2004, 09:16 PM
You should /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The point is that the police and Firemen put their lives on the line on a (potentially) daily basis for us. It's not so much what they specficially did during 9/11, it's more that 9/11 reminded us that we shouldn't take them for granted, as we saw the very real and very tragic costs of their jobs.

I think that's pretty obvious to anybody who chooses to think about it, and that's why your thread was greated with such antimosity.

Sooga
12-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Well said. I thought it was a shame that a tragedy like 9/11 had to happen for the world to realize that you know, these people do this kind of thing EVERY DAY. Perhaps they're not always in as imminent a danger as 9/11, but when there's a big gangland shooting breaking out, who has to go on the scene? The police. A building on fire and people inside, who has to fish em out? The fire department. And not just NY. Every PD/FD in the country does this on a daily basis, and before 9/11, I don't think anyone really truly understood the job that they do day in, day out.

Ulysses
12-31-2004, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree that the firefighter/police worship that followed 9/11 was kind of over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

A big reason for the immense outpouring of sympathy to firefighters and police following 9/11 was because 343 firefighters and 75 policemen died in NYC that day. Many of them died inside the towers, while trying to rescue people.

However, similar to my thoughts about people's emotions in regard to the typhoon, it doesn't really make sense to me that so many people seem to put such special value on the lives of the firefighters who perished fighting the WTC fires, or for that matter, anyone who died on 9/11. Yeah, those deaths were tragic. But no more tragic than all the firefighters who died trying to rescue people in apartment fires.

DBowling
12-31-2004, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
343 firefighters and 75 policemen died in NYC that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! Thats a lot of people. Now *I* want to know what they were doing that day. I can completely understand how some of them ran up into the buildings and tried to find/evacuate people, but thats a LOT of FD/PD. Maybe its because i never had visited the WTC, and i dont really see many big buildings here in the OC, that i cant grasp the size. But was it so big that they needed so many people?
Also, were any of them trying to put out the fire? I know this seems quite pointless, but i wonder if they tried.
And while i understand the fire departments role in evacuating people, how did the police department come into play? I could see them doing something similar, but without protective clothing, i wouldnt imagine they could go too far up.
Im not in anyway insulting the NYPD/FD, i just have a hard time grasping how so many people can die.
Same as with the tsunami victims. I know they died, but i just think to myself its just water, how could they all die?

Shajen
12-31-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pretty stupid response. Sponger's asking a legitimate question. GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding right? Legitimate question? You honestly feel this is a legitimate question?

sfer
12-31-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because i never had visited the WTC, and i dont really see many big buildings here in the OC, that i cant grasp the size. But was it so big that they needed so many people?

[/ QUOTE ]

The buildings were several zip codes.

DBowling
12-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Wah??? Uhhh around? or up? I know they were tall but, damn.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 12:21 PM
There was only one zipcode. 10048. The site itself was 16 acres.

sfer
12-31-2004, 12:27 PM
Really? I heard wrong. I rule.

Anyway, the two towers had more usable square feet of office space than downtown San Francisco. Of that I'm pretty sure.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 12:29 PM
With all those homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk, that is no surprise. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Were you here back then? If you were I assume you worked downtown too?

sfer
12-31-2004, 12:37 PM
I did work downtown. In San Francisco. 555 California to be exact.

Edit: Weird day. Firetrucks and jets going everywhere, and I remember turning on the TV and thinking, "That's an odd angle. I can't see the second tower."

sfer
12-31-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by the way, why did everyone flip out over this thread, instead of just answering sponger like i did?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we're not jamming to our headphones and flipping some guy the bird. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sponger15SB
12-31-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did work downtown.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I had a friend that died on September 11th"
"Oh...I'm sorry...he was in the towers?"
"No, downtown on 86th"
"What?"
"Yeah, he got hit by a bike messanger"

sfer
12-31-2004, 12:44 PM
86th is uptown and decidedly residential.

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 12:45 PM
I was on the subway right at Chambers, and a really weird, 4'11 guy with a high shrill voice started shouting.. "Terrorists attacked the Trade Center, we're under attack!" This was 3 minutes after # 1. We all looked at him like he was crazy. Kind of like that Lewis Black comedy routine where he talks about the conductor announcing a bomb in the subway... "well I don't see a bomb, and I only have 2 more stops, lets go!"

IndieMatty
12-31-2004, 12:46 PM
I think that's a joke from Curb?