PDA

View Full Version : playing pocket pairs pre-flop

badbrownie
12-30-2004, 05:11 PM
I often see people going all in with relatively low pairs when the antes are not forcing them to do so (IMHO). I know that a pair has the best of it (slightly) against AK so I understand that the theory is to isolate against it and take advantage of that law.

However, while that is true, a pocket pair is utterly dominated by a higher pocket pair, so if I've got AK, I know I'm doing pretty well against multiple people with their pocket pairs (it's 'almost' as if I'm only competing with the highest of them but getting the odds from all of them. A lovely sight indeed).

Therefore, I feel better with AK than I do with a pair of 10s. And with a pair of 7s or lower, I feel like I'm positively gambling.

Therefore my policy is to limp in with a low pair (55 or lower), raise 4xBB with mid pair (66 - 1010) to try to isolate while at least giving myself the possibility of not being forced all in. And I raise 3xBB with high pair (as I'm not trying so hard to chase people out with a high pair. I'd like to drag them along).

What do you guys think about this? How would you optimize this strategy?

With AK I would call a 4xBB raise if I was in early/mid position as I'm not trying to push people out. It's in my interests to have more people in in that situation. In late position I may raise to thin the field.

I look forward to your input. I'm currently doing ok at low stakes but the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn.

cheers,

alan