PDA

View Full Version : FAQ Discussion: A Course of Action

SheridanCat
12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Okay, so here's where we stand.

I took the questions from the other thread and put them in a database. I then put a quicky web application on top of that database. You can see the main page here (http://www.pokergeek.com/cgi-bin/faq/index.cgi).

Each question can be assigned a maintainer. The maintainer can create and edit the answer to the question. Once the questions are answered and all the maintainers are satisfied with their own and everyone else's answers, I'll write a script to pull the FAQ into a post suitable for 2+2.

I figured this was better than carrying on a discussion on the forum that will just confuse people.

So, go to the link above. Look at the questions, some of which I've edited or rephrased. Then, PM me with the question you'd like to maintain. Also give me the handle you'd like to appear on the "Maintainer" line of the FAQ and also send me your preferred email address. Email addresses will only be used by me to contact you directly. They will not appear in the FAQ nor be used for any non-FAQ purpose.

Questions will be issued on a first-requested/first-gets-it basis. If you haven't begun the answer within a few days or so, I'll email you and see what's up.

Once you've requested a question, I'll email you a password which you'll need to use when creating/editing an answer. The password will be somewhat complicated and case-sensitive.

Finally, nothing will really happen until after the New Year's holiday because I'll be out of town for some of it.

How does that sound?

Regards,

T

SheridanCat
12-31-2004, 10:56 AM
What? No one reads this forum on a holiday?

T

Mason Malmuth
12-31-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi Cat:

I don't think I'm inclined to support this idea. Many of the questions that you address are a matter of opinion and others are really policy that Two Plus Two has no official stance on. I know you're doing a lot of work here but I think this might be best just left undone.

For example, one of the questions is "When should I move up?" I don't think that's something which Two Plus Two Publishing LLC as an organization wants to take a stance on. I actually have written about this very topic. (I think it is in Poker Essays, Volume II.) But those are my own personal thoughts as opposed to official company policy.

Another question is: "What are the differences between Jones' "Winning Low Limit Hold'em" and Miller's "Small Stakes Hold'em?" Which one is appropriate to my level?" Again that's not appropriate for us as a company to take an official stance on, plus future publications from us can impact this question.

Many, if not almost all of the questions have this problem.

Best wishes,
Mason

SheridanCat
12-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Mason,

Thanks very much for your input on this project. You're right, of course, that most of this is a matter of opinion - though the opinions will be informed ones. I don't think anyone wants Two Plus Two to take a position on these questions. What we're trying to do is eliminate as much of the repetition here as we can. I'm sure you read this forum and are aware that the same questions are asked over and over again. The same answers are usually given and a lot of time and effort is wasted.

It's commonplace for online forums, both web and usenet based, to answer some questions upfront. That's the goal of this project. Each answer will be attributed to a poster who has volunteered to answer the question. Furthermore, the answers will be changable as other posters contribute. It's a living document.

So, that said. I appreciate that your company has no interest in supporting a FAQ for the beginner's forum. I'm going to continue the project, as there is a need outside of Two Plus Two for such a thing.

It'll be up to knowledgable people to support the project. If that support isn't there, then the project will die naturally.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Mason.

Regards,

T

Mason Malmuth
01-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Hi Smoore:

I think I can buy most of what you're saying. If the FAQ is developed as you describe, we could probably go along with it.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
01-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi Cat:

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone wants Two Plus Two to take a position on these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But by just allowing the FAQ to appear it will be perceived as getting our approval and thus we will be taking a position. See my post below.

Best wishes,
Mason

flapgreen
01-01-2005, 06:50 PM
How about something showing what all of the different abbreviations stand for?(mtt, bb, etc.)

And some direction on how to adjust your game when playing against inexperienced players as opposed to experienced players and vice versa. Just thought of this today. Sorry if it's too late.

smoore
01-02-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about something showing what all of the different abbreviations stand for?(mtt, bb, etc.)

And some direction on how to adjust your game when playing against inexperienced players as opposed to experienced players and vice versa. Just thought of this today. Sorry if it's too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

First part is exactly what I'm talking about. Second part is exactly what Mason is talking about. That's opinion, and what poker authors get paid to write about.

flapgreen
01-02-2005, 03:24 AM
Cool. Just throwing some things out there.

morgan180
01-02-2005, 04:39 AM
I agree with smoore. Keep it all FACT based, no OPINION content. Great idea and it will help minimize repeat questions and allow matters of opinion to be debated as they currently are.

SheridanCat
01-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Mason,

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone wants Two Plus Two to take a position on these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But by just allowing the FAQ to appear it will be perceived as getting our approval and thus we will be taking a position. See my post below.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to get into a huge discussion about this. But how would the information that appears in this FAQ, and that is attributed to individuals, be any different than the information that hundreds of people post on the 2+2 forums every day? I guarantee that the content of this FAQ would be better than the vast majority of all the other content posted on the 2+2 forums on any given day.

Ah, well. All references to your company have been removed from the FAQ.

Regards,

T

Mason Malmuth
01-02-2005, 11:31 PM
How? Because you want to call it a FAQ and you want to make it "stick" to the top of the forum. When that is done it clearly seperates it from just another thread.

Best wishes,
Mason

SheridanCat
01-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Fair enough, Mason.

I consider this matter settled.

Regards,

T

flapgreen
01-04-2005, 12:28 AM
I know the FAQ won't be associated with 2+2 and I understand why. But if it's completed elsewhere, I'm very interested in seeing the final results. Every little bit would help me at this point. Thanks all.

JFB37
01-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Here is a suggestion for dealing with the "opinion" questions. The answer could say something like:

"As with everything in poker, 'it depends,' and this is a matter on which opinions vary. This subject is discussed frequently in the forums. Some of the classic threads on this topic are _____, _____ and _____."

There are frequently posts asking "what are some good threads to read" and this would be a way of combining them.

What do people think?

--Jack