PDA

View Full Version : preposterous movie-accents

VBM
12-30-2004, 03:32 PM
inspired of course, b/c i'm watching Andaconda...

Andaconda, Jon Voight- i'm not even sure what this is supposed to be...Cuban?

The Devil's Own, Brad Pitt-Irish. terrible, horrible, and yet, so unfair b/c all chix moisten for this dude regardless of anything that comes out of his mouth...

Scarface & Carlito's Way, Al Pacino- i'm guessing i'll catch heat for this, hell i'm a huge fan of Pacino's myself, but lets call a /images/graemlins/spade.gif a /images/graemlins/spade.gif; his accent is ridiculous...

others?

benfranklin
12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Let me be the first to say: Teddy KGB

fnord_too
12-30-2004, 03:43 PM
DiCaprio in Gangs of New York (Pick any of the many accents he used)
Marlon Brando's "English" Accent (he broke this out in a few roles)

VBM
12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
and how could i forget...

Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Kevin Costner- he just gave up 1/2-way through...

fnord_too
12-30-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Kevin Costner- he just gave up 1/2-way through...

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I think I did too with that movie /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DerryABU
12-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Tom Cruise in Far and Away- Stereotypical "Tap of tha marnin" Irish accent. God awful.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Elijah Wood and Sean Austin for the horid psuedo English accents in LOTR. Plus they both come across as total fags in the movie.

jakethebake
12-30-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Elijah Wood and Sean Austin for the horid psuedo English accents in LOTR. Plus they both come across as total fags in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Elijiah Wood isnt a [censored]? He comes across that way in every movie, not to moention interviews, etc. I just assumed... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I figured he and old Ian McKeller were sharing atrailer on set.

oljumpstart
12-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Everyone in "Mystic River" and just about every other movie that took place in Boston.

jakethebake
12-30-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone in "Mystic River" and just about every other movie that took place in Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. They never come near sounding as obnoxious as that accent truly is. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SomethingClever
12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Keanu Reeves, Much Ado About Nothing. Must be heard to be believed.

Nice call on Voight heading your list, BTW.

partygirluk
12-30-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were two of the best movie accents ever. I had no idea Astin was American until I IMDBed him after watching ROTK. Wood was the weak link in the series, but his accent was extremely convincing. Do you think all English people speak like the Queen?

brassnuts
12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Jason Statham (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005458/) in The One. The only thing worse than the movie itself was Statham's attempt at an American accent.

private joker
12-30-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Devil's Own, Brad Pitt-Irish. terrible, horrible, and yet, so unfair b/c all chix moisten for this dude regardless of anything that comes out of his mouth...

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad Pitt topped this with an even more outlandish Irish accent in SNATCH (which, by the way, is such an awesome movie). His gypsy mumble -- you couldn't understand a third of what he said -- is so hilarious that it makes up for that stupud DEVIL'S OWN crap.

brassnuts
12-30-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Brad Pitt topped this with an even more outlandish Irish accent in SNATCH (which, by the way, is such an awesome movie). His gypsy mumble -- you couldn't understand a third of what he said -- is so hilarious that it makes up for that stupud DEVIL'S OWN crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I heard from an Irish person that his Gypsy accent in Snatch was quite good. Of course, he was Irish, not Enligh/Scottish, but I placed more validity on his opinion than mine for this subject.

Rushmore
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, hilarious accent in an excellent movie, more than makes up for any other transgression.

cnfuzzd
12-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Dammit, i cant remember his name. But Cpt. Picards in SNG. He was supposed to be french, and certainly had a slightly british accent.

Anything sean connery does.

peace

john nickle

stabn
12-30-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you think all English people speak like the Queen?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard the queen speak. Does she?

partygirluk
12-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Yeah. At the beginning of the parliamentary year, in November she goes into the House of Commons and outlines the government's plans for the next year.

"My government will introduce a bill intended to place a ban on the practice of hunting with hounds" etc.

There is also her televised Christmas message, on @ 15:00PM on the BBC. It lasts about 10 minutes. This year she talked about the need to respect different faiths. Muslims liked this. Channel 4 broadcast an "Alternative Christmas speech" every year. A couple of years ago it was Ali G. This year it was Marge Simpson.

Inthacup
12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
I just saw about 5 minutes of Charlies Angels: Full Throttle and some skinny guy with a lot of tattoos had a terrible accent.

And then there was Drew Barrymore trying to sound smart and tough, which was completely unnatural.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Rob Morrow's hideous attempt at a Boston accent in "Quiz Show"

VBM
12-30-2004, 07:21 PM
heh. Lucy Liu, in Shanghai Knights anyways, tries to fake a Chinese accent! it sounds like a person making fun of a waiter in a chinese restaurant ...

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-30-2004, 07:25 PM
That's not a put-on accent. Patrick Stewart is a Brit and is just speaking in his own voice.

cnfuzzd
12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
thats why i thought it was preposterous. He clearly is british. Yet the character is french. Not good.

Much like sean connery. Same accent everytime. Preposterous.

peace

john nickle

Sooga
12-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Karen Duffy's god-knows-what kinda accent in 'Dumb & Dumber'

Graham
12-30-2004, 08:32 PM
I assumed, before reading, that this thread was inspired by Colin Farrell in that alexander movie just out. Horrendous; so is jolie's accent.

Sarge85
12-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Well it sucks that I have to admit I saw this movie, but it's the definate winner.

Meg Ryan in Against the Ropes

I think thats the title.

Holy [censored] it was THE WORST excuse for a Ney York, or New Jersey or where ever the f*ck she was supposed to be from.

Awful, just awful

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Lazymeatball
12-30-2004, 11:15 PM
I just saw Tom Hanks in The Terminal. His pseudo-russian/Elbonian accent is pretty bad, as it's meant to be.

ClaytonN
12-30-2004, 11:53 PM
From personal experience, Keanu Reeves in the Devil's advocate

I mean, wow. Way to butcher a southern accent there, fella

Inthacup
12-31-2004, 12:07 AM
Yeah. That was terrible.

balkii
12-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Scarface & Carlito's Way, Al Pacino- i'm guessing i'll catch heat for this, hell i'm a huge fan of Pacino's myself, but lets call a a ; his accent is ridiculous...

joo don' like the way he talks, mang?

LondonBroil
12-31-2004, 12:46 AM
Don Cheatle (sp?) in Ocean's Eleven.

EliteNinja
12-31-2004, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not a put-on accent. Patrick Stewart is a Brit and is just speaking in his own voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he's supposed to be French in the show.
I guess the Brits took France over sometime in the next 400 years.

mosta
12-31-2004, 12:54 AM
I feel like I should be able to list 20, or 50, since it's so common an offense. But I can at least name the movie I saw last night (actually, as forgettable as it was I had to ask a friend in the room who didn't even see it...): Owen Wilson in Life Aqauatic. the "kentucky" accent that comes and goes and is never really there.

Rockatansky
12-31-2004, 01:12 AM
I second the previous Keanu mentions and I'll throw in his accent in Dangerous Liasons. It has to be heard to be believed. Also, even though it's probably his real accent, when he says "I...AM AN FBI...AGENT" in Point Blank it just makes me feel sorry for him.

private joker
12-31-2004, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I second the previous Keanu mentions and I'll throw in his accent in Dangerous Liasons. It has to be heard to be believed. Also, even though it's probably his real accent, when he says "I...AM AN FBI...AGENT" in Point Blank it just makes me feel sorry for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't in Point Blank. That was Lee Marvin. You must mean Point Break.

Lee Marvin > Keanu Reeves.

nothumb
12-31-2004, 03:19 AM
Or, even better, how about every Southern accent ever attempted in any Hollywood movie? God, they are just awful.

The one exception was in Bull Durham, Sarandon did okay with that.

NT

Cyrus
12-31-2004, 03:21 AM
Don Cheadle's cockney accent in Ocean's 11. (I heard it's on Ocean's 12 too but I have not seen it.)

BusterStacks
12-31-2004, 06:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This accent was actually very accurate.

gaming_mouse
12-31-2004, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don Cheatle (sp?) in Ocean's Eleven.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 12.

This is worse than any other example mentioned, and it's not even close.

Toro
12-31-2004, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. They never come near sounding as obnoxious as that accent truly is. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, they were pretty bad in Mystic River. The accent while obnoxious to many just can not be mimicked.

Toro
12-31-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I loved that character.

jakethebake
12-31-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, they were pretty bad in Mystic River. The accent while obnoxious to many just can not be mimicked.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is in that Boston accent anyway? It's obviously mostly Irish, but I've tried to figure out what the other strong influences are?

Toro
12-31-2004, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure that it's because of Irish influence or not. I would tend to say no, but don't have any other theories either.

jakethebake
12-31-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Andaconda, Jon Voight- i'm not even sure what this is supposed to be...Cuban?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's funny you say this. Everytime we watch it, we say that exact thing. WTF is he from?

sfer
12-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Cary Grant. But I love it all the same.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Richard Gere - The Jackal

PhatTBoll
01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matthew Broderick kind of does the same thing with his Boston accent in Glory. Still a great movie though.

nicky g
01-07-2005, 06:45 AM
The king of stupid accents is well known to be Dick van Dyke's attempt at cockney in Mary Poppin's.

Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11 deserved to be shot.

jdl22
01-07-2005, 06:52 AM
This last week The Hunt for Red October was on tv. The movie is interesting because they really made little effort with the accents. Sean Connery is the main Russian character and he speaks in what I believe to be his natural accent. It's quite strange. They speak in English all the time but when they first see Americans they are asked if they speak English. To cap it off there is one seen where Jack Ryan is immitating Sean Connery's accent. Bizarre that they would emphasize that the dude from Romania or whatever has a Scottish accent.

elwoodblues
01-07-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's quite strange. They speak in English all the time but when they first see Americans they are asked if they speak English

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed the part where they zoom in on his lips as he is speaking Russian and changes to English. That is the film's way of saying "He is still speaking russian, but we won't demand that you read subtitles throughout the movie."

The answer to the question has already been given. It is any accent that Keanu Reeves tries to pull off. No matter what it is, it still contains his natural accent of "dude."