PDA

View Full Version : I am not promoting big laydowns. What do you think of this turn one?

RED_RAIN
12-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Opponent has an aggression rating of under 1, large check/raise %, shown around 41% and win of 53%. He has seen me play pretty well, but maybe a bit of a tight image.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
I just don't see the opponent doing this type of play without a big hand that I am not drawing against or maybe drawing dead.

WDC
12-30-2004, 02:54 PM
I'd make this play with a jack or with pocket 3's or 7's just to name a few. I'd make it alot more if I figured out you will fold an overpair.

lu_hawk
12-30-2004, 02:56 PM
BB's play is almost always a huge hand. If he is a typical player then I would fold, especially with 456 on the board.

Piiop
12-30-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
large check/raise %,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He has seen me play pretty well, but maybe a bit of a tight image.

[/ QUOTE ]

He check-raises a lot and thinks you're tight, but

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see the opponent doing this type of play without a big hand that I am not drawing against or maybe drawing dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's only making this play with a hand that is beating you?

I don't think your description of the player fits this conclusion. I would not fold.

tripdad
12-30-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd make this play with a jack or with pocket 3's or 7's just to name a few. I'd make it alot more if I figured out you will fold an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's not playing against you, though. he's playing a guy with an aggression factor of 1. i don't think our hero makes the laydown against someone with numbers that look like i'm sure yours does.

i wouldn't sweat this fold one bit.

cheers!

Bob T.
12-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I agree, I think it's possible that he just has top pair. It certainly isn't unlikely that he is ahead, so I wouldn't make any raises, but I would probably call him down from here. If he has two pair, you probably have enough outs that you need to be calling here.

arabie
12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I agree. It is very likely the player has the exact hand you fear, but there are definitely potential hands that you beat, including a likely bluff (he knows you're tight). The pot is not tiny so you should definitely call.

RED_RAIN
12-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Unless he has AJ, I don't see him playing his hand like this. But come to think of it, I don't see him not 3 betting the flop with AJ instead of check/raising the turn.

Do you still now think he has just top pair?

smoore
12-30-2004, 03:35 PM
If he's an habitual check-raiser, then yes I could see a nonagressive player checkraising you w/AJ here. He thinks he's ahead and he may even have AhJh. I would probably pay the other 2BB to call him down. Who knows, he may even try to c/r you again on the river and you'll see it for the same price as bet/call turn and river.

MoreWineII
12-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Your description of this guy makes him sound like he's capable of making tricky plays. I certainly don't think it's a given that you have the best hand still, but couple that you *might* with the fact that you might have outs if you *are* behind and the fact that you want to discourage players like this from taking shots at you (which he will if he knows he can make you fold overpairs), and I think I make the call as well.

Bob T.
12-30-2004, 03:55 PM
Do you still now think he has just top pair?

No, I don't think that. I think that that is a possibility.

I also think that a pair plus a straight draw is a possibility.

I also think that two pair is a possibility.

Maybe he has a set.

Or maybe he had a straight draw on the flop, made it on the turn, and you are drawing dead.

Maybe he is just taking a stab at you with some other draw, or a complete bluff.

I just think it all adds up to calling him down.