PDA

View Full Version : QTo, isolation attempt on really bad limper.

Entity
12-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Limper is loose-passive-passive (60% VPIP, .96 Tot-A). SB is loose-passive and BB is tight-passive. Limper will bet a decent range of hands on this flop (any pair and any draw).

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 <font color="#A500AF">(LP-P)</font> calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 <font color="#A500AF">(LP-P)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">LP-P bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

wuwei
12-30-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Limper is loose-passive-passive (60% VPIP, .96 Tot-A) ... Limper will bet a decent range of hands on this flop (any pair and any draw).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really grok those two things together. But regardless, this isn't a play that's in my repertoire with QTo.

Once you're in and the flop comes, I think the raise is standard. It could clean up your Q outs and provide a free card against a loose passive if you need one.

12-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Looks good to me so far.

Lets see some more action on this hand.

Entity
12-30-2004, 02:42 PM
I'll be honest: I don't know if the PFR is good. I know that my hand has an edge over a completely random hand, and has an edge over most of the hands he's playing. That said, it still isn't a great hand, and mucking preflop can't be terrible.

I got the PFR from isolating bad players in shorthanded games, but I'm not sure if I should be fond of it. Maybe mucking is best?

Rob

lu_hawk
12-30-2004, 02:45 PM
The raise is the only way to play the hand preflop. And folding is giving up too much against someone with 60% VPIP. You can't like that both blinds called but you flopped pretty good and you have to raise his bet.

12-30-2004, 02:45 PM
One bad loose limper in CO+1 and to you on the button with QTo?
You can't muck here..

Even if both blinds call (as they did) you still have an positive pot equity against all 3 of these random hands.

wuwei
12-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Yah, mucking this preflop can't be wrong... but that doesn't mean raising is either. Your reads suggested you had a good chance of getting heads up, which is critical.

The biggest problem I have is that if I'm trying this sort of isolation raise, I want my hand to have some showdown value. QT is lacking.

Entity
12-30-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me so far.

Lets see some more action on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of the hand was standard, including me losing to his rivered flush (T/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/spade.gif), so I just posted preflop and flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 <font color="#A500AF">(LP-P)</font> calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 <font color="#A500AF">(LP-P)</font> calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">LP-P bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, LP-P calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
LP-P checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LP-P calls.

River: (8 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
LP-P checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LP-P calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

wuwei
12-30-2004, 02:50 PM
I guess your read was right... that's a strange combination of flop aggression and incredibly weak river play.