PDA

View Full Version : I HATE SETS!!

LALDAAS
12-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Thats it..... Tired of losing with top 2 pair to a set of 2's

How does every one else identify a set.

smoore
12-30-2004, 03:10 PM
If I've got top two and I'm doing my job by being agressive, yet I run into even more agression from another player, I start to suspect a set. As you gain experience you'll slow down some when this happens. You're still going to put quite a few bets in. What really sucks is when you fill up your top two to make low full of high and his set is the same as your flopped top pair. You're going to get a lot of money in in that situation.

When it happens to you, just remember that sometimes it'll be you with the set getting paid off by top two.

edit: Oh yeah... if the guy is being "sneaky", as bad players are too much, just be glad he didn't raise and reraise you. He just saved you bets.

GivenToFly
12-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Last night.. I flopped a buttload of sets.. probably like 10.. in a relatively short period of time.. and all but one of them were beat by drawing flushes/straights.. it was a sick downswing.. as for playing two pair.. you play them aggresively.. and like the previous guy said.. you learn frome experience when to slow down.. also having a good read on a player is important

SheridanCat
12-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Sets are delicious when they hold up. And they usually hold up. There's an old saying that if you didn't win a lot or lose a lot, you didn't play your set correctly.

When I make a set, I ram-and-jam. If the board turns very scary, I slow down. And, sometimes you're beat by another set which is terribly painful because both hands are so well hidden. Them's the breaks. If I have a set, you have to tell me I'm beat before I'll slow down.

Regards,

T

JFB37
01-03-2005, 09:59 AM
You just have to stick the money in. This is one place where the old saw about "charging the flush draws" (or straight draws) makes real sense. Especially on the turn. Overbet the pot to make it incorrect for a draw to call.

aron
01-03-2005, 04:37 PM
When people suddenly check-raise you on the turn if what seems to be a blank card hits, thats a good spot to suspect a slowplayed set.

No matter how annoying it is when a set beats you, I think it's more then made up by the times you hold a set.

-aron