PDA

View Full Version : First. Post. Ever.

RubbleRobble
12-30-2004, 10:19 AM
This is my first actual post ever so bear with me a little bit as I figure out how to do this properly.

Just made a fresh start with a new BR, and as such my PT has only around 10k hands, and none with any of these players.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Villian calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Villian calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Villian calls, Button calls.

River: (13.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

My main question was is this raise on the flop profitable? I'm almost guarenteed to get called in all spots, but my draw only comes in about 1 time in 6. Other comments on the decisions later in the hand also appreciated.

gaming_mouse
12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Oof. This is hand is a mess. (Welcome to the forum, btw /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

What are you hoping to accomplish with this raise. As you are not closing the action, you cannot hope to get a free card, which would be the only reason to raise here. Just call and give it up when you miss your gutshot.

The turn bet is ok since you now have an OESD.

However, with this many players, you should have folded this river. Someone almost surely has the ace.

gm

Nick C
12-30-2004, 10:30 AM
With two cards to come, you'll catch a king or a nine by the river much more than 1 in 6 times. (You'll make one of your straights 31.5 percent of the time.) I think the flop checkraise is good.

I'd be a little scared of KQ on the river too, but with so many people continuing to call and padding the pot, I think a 3-bet might be good. I'm thinking it's quite possible Villain only has a queen (and if you're really lucky, he'll just have a seven -- but I wouldn't count on that).

Kirg
12-30-2004, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

However, with this many players, you should have folded this river. Someone almost surely has the ace.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to read Hero's holding again gm /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stinkypete
12-30-2004, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oof. This is hand is a mess. (Welcome to the forum, btw /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

What are you hoping to accomplish with this raise. As you are not closing the action, you cannot hope to get a free card, which would be the only reason to raise here. Just call and give it up when you miss your gutshot.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, he has a double gutshot, both to the nuts on the flop, and makes his straight on the turn. he has the nuts on the turn.

on the river he's only behind KQ.

stinkypete
12-30-2004, 10:38 AM
btw, .5/1 hands should go in the micro forum.

RubbleRobble
12-30-2004, 10:44 AM
My mistake putting the post in the wrong forum. Thanks for the reassurance Nick C. I wasn't clear on whether a pot equity play like this should use odds to come in by the river or just the turn. The sad conclusion is that Villian had the KQ to make the rivered T ooooohhh so painful. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

gaming_mouse
12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

dude, he has a double gutshot, both to the nuts on the flop, and makes his straight on the turn. he has the nuts on the turn.

on the river he's only behind KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. i'm a moron. i just read the hand too quickly.

sorry rubble. your flop raise was good. for value.

gm

B00T
12-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Blah...

I would check/call the flop hoping this draw comes through. By raising you are not going to have any aces fold. You are still behind. Wait and hope the straight comes (saving bets). If the straight comes you can pop these guys and trap the field for extra bets. You had good position realitive to the PF raiser and where the action was. You would of been able to extract a lot more bets on the turn and + river.

You had a couple of guys trapped if you check raised the turn when the shot hit. Keep in mind this is relative to .5/1 because people with TPMK-GK, 2 pairs, or anything you are ahead of are completely incapable of laying down their hands.

Pawtucket Pat
12-30-2004, 01:17 PM
I like this hand all the way to the end. Nice flop raise for value, UTG+2 should think he may be behind on the turn, so the lead out bet is good. The villain is clearly loose passive, with that horrendous pre-flop call if he had KQo.

I don't like calling the flop and check raising the turn, because you have enough equity to make the value raise profitable, and you could probably get a free card on the turn if you missed, because they may either fear a check raise or are just too passive to bet.

The river raise from the passive villain is very scary, so the call is correct here. He should never have been in the hand in the first place, so don't worry about losing this one. His errors are +EV for you, you want him calling this down. He hit his gutshot, hopefully he'll keep chasing them.

Nice hand.

Bob T.
12-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Im sure someone has already mentioned that .50/1.00 hands go into the micro forum.

I like the raise preflop.

You flopped pretty good, with a double gutshot on a rainbow flop.

You raised preflop, why don't you just go ahead and bet the flop? When you get raised, then you can decide whether you want to threebet for value, or if a smoothcall would be better. You like the flop enough that you decided to checkraise it for value, why ddn't you like it enough to bet for value, and then maybe threebet, depending on where the raise came from?

You might have won this hand that way, you bet out, UTG+2 raises, and you eliminate the player with KQ, who eventually made the winning hand.

MoreWineII
12-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Bob, not to nitpick, but hero didn't raise preflop. He was the BB and called.

I like the flop check-raise. You know where the likely bet is going to come from and you can trap a few players for multiple bets with your double-gutter.

Bob T.
12-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Bob, not to nitpick, but hero didn't raise preflop. He was the BB and called.

I like the flop check-raise. You know where the likely bet is going to come from and you can trap a few players for multiple bets with your double-gutter.

Never mind. I like the flop checkraise then also.

I got two excuses, I still have my screen on the 1280 X 1024 resolution from last night's session, and it is still too early for my to be fully functioning this morning.

Trix
12-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I like all of it.