PDA

View Full Version : Daliman's abridged LV trip report.

Daliman
12-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Well, I got to LV a week ago Sunday and summarily pummelled the Frontier's Pai Gow game for $60 in short order before hitting the hay after getting in late. The next day i won a quick $35o in the 2-5 NL game at the Mirage before getting a call that Tipsy had gotten in. Met up with him and he showed me the finer points on how to turn $600 into a chip tornado at the craps table, not to mention a 40-80 game we later played. Among my favorite exchanges of the trip;

Weak/ABC playing Dealer's girlfriend,(after raising Tipsy's BB) bets confidently after AK6 rainbow flop hits.

Tipsy: "I like you, I'll give you $$$.

In-over-his-head-skillwise-but-not-bankrollwise bussinessman also calls. Turn is 9s, 2 spades now on board, check, check, ABC chick bets,

Tipsy: "OK, one more call."

Businessman along for the ride calls. River is 6h.

Tipsy bets out...(he had been playing VERY erratically up to this point, to say the least, and had straddled twice before this)

Businessman, reluctantly calls, and ABC chick stares at him in disbelief before stacking and inserting $80 worth of chips into what may as well have been a black hole for the chance she would ever see them again.

Tipsy, has, of course, 6s4s.

ABC Chick:"You know you were beat before the river, right?"

Apparently, 40-80 is not enough action to keep tipsy occupied. Unfortunately, the tilt-a-whirl I had tipped Tipsy off to decided better of his challenge to play Tipsy heads up 100-200 Tipsy had Set him off a bit. A shame...

Next morning, I drop $1800 playing BJ for $50-400 a hand at mirage in about 45 minutes. I count cards, (not exceptionally well though), but I can get the money out like nobody's business when the tens and aces are to come with zero heat. Anyways, the telling hand of the session was when i had a decent positive count, but only one ace dealt almost halfway through the deck. 3 blacks inch to the circle, and I am dealt an ace first card to the dealer's 7. Sweet, let's make this quick and painless. I get another Ace. Now, to those unfamiliar with the nuances of BJ, a blackjack is obviously the most profitable hand you can have; AA is the second most, ESPECIALLY when the count is up. I'm happy that my brilliance has put me in a good situation, push out $300 more, and see another ace and a 5 hit my hands, and an ace being under the dealer's 7...

Well, i DID know the aces were outs there.

Meanwhile, the gambling gods continue to smile on Tipsy, who wins $2400 sitting right next to me playing with zero regard for count and only a cursury knowledge of basic strategy. Bah on him.

We then move to craps again, I lose $250 on the minimal edge bets and decide there was good reason why I never played craps, and peruse the poker room. Still dead. Back to BJ.

I buy in for 1k, and lose my 4 first hands in an escalating count to knock me down to 11 green chips left, which I place in the circle much like my head in the guillotine, and begin to ponder how many $200 SNG's I will have to play to recoup the last hour's tragedy,(114), when my hard 13 is hit with a 7 and the dealer's 8 up hides a 9. A couple hands late in the new deck, I have a +5 count and $250 out when I am dealt 88 vs the dealer's ace.... I'm so frustrated by the good situation gone horribly wrong that I forget to (properly) take insurance, and am actually somewhat chagrind that she didn't, cutting my losses to only $250 on this hand the mnemonic in my head won't let me forget..
"ALWAYS split Aces and Eights!"

With the debacle of the previous split aces still fresh in mind, I was thinking that I would much rather now take up the offer a dealer gave to one Clark W. Griswold in "Vegas Vacation"

" How 'bout you just give me half yer money, I kick you in the balls, and we call it even?"

So I dutifully Push out another $250 an get a King on my first 8. Ok, half decent, but still a long-run loser in BJ, especially versus an Ace. On to the other 8, which she hits with..

an 8................

Daliman:"Boy, you ARE going to make this as painful as humanly possible, aren't you?"

So I ran the mnemonic in my head again, partially for reinforcement of my ensuing action, and partially hoping there was a caveat for except after C or when sounding like "A" as in neighbor or weigh . No such luck. $250 of my remaining $450 in chips joins their woebegone brethren. The first eight gets a 2, then a Jack for 20, and I don't now feel quite so bad, and I get an ace on the third eight. Not too shabby at all.

Dealer flips a 4 under the ace, places a 9 and a Queen next to it, and I do the happy dance. $1500 swing. I end up getting back $700 of what I had lost previously, but not b4 this brutal run;

Count is +9running about 1/2 deck in, only 1 ace played.

I have $300 bet
Me: King ace
Dealer: king up, checks and has BJ, and I can't insure(which I would have)

Next hand same $300 bet;
Me: 8,7,6
dealer:9,3,9

Next hand, again $300;
Me:5,9,7
Dealer:6,5,2,3,shuffle card (NO!),5

So, not only do i not win a dime with BJ and 2 21's in 3 hands, a +13 or so with5 aces left is shuffled away.

After that, Tipsy and I decided we needed to catch a few Z's before hitting the bars for my true area of expertise...

KARAOKE! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

We decided to do the tried and true Video poker semi scam, except Tipsy played 20 hands+ an hour the whole time we were there, but for my $30 loss, I had 8 Kahlua and creams(why yes, I WILL take a skirt with that!), 2 Tequila shots, and a yardarm of Margarita. I called Irieguy while there, and he met up with us at Harrah's piano bar, after I had already given my award-winning rendition of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and my much-beloved version of "Working for the weekend" to an adoring crowd. The dualing Pianos took over at 9 and Tipsy's vagina was chafing on him, so he went up to bed. not liking not being the center of attention at the piano bar now(two hot blondes playing piano at singing, yay), I recommend we go next door to Imperial Palace's Karaoke and I again opened with my signature song, which produced such a fanfare that I was asked to immediately follow it up with "You Sexy Thing". The place was jumping, Irieguy was Agape that such sounds could come from such a small white man, and my 64 year old uncle was dancing with 25 year old women who were WAY too old for him. After finishing the margarita and another kahlua and cream, I did "Livin' on a Prayer", and hit the hay.

Next day, I go over to bellagio for some 30-60 and Puggy Pearson happened to be in the game, not only playing horrendously badly, but angle shooting also, near as I could tell. While I was stacking my chips from my buyin, I half-witnessed this hand.

River, puggy bets, is called, he says "straight", and rolls over 89o. I could've sworn the board was something like A374T, but the dealer pushed him the pot and scooped them before I could verify. A little later, puggy called on the river, was shown a flopped set, and with three clubs on the board turned over his 9c said "flush", before mucking his hand... Seems to me the old guys are cut a LOT more slack than anyone else would be, just sad that they feel a need to resort to it. I drop $1300 before making a run up to only a $150 loss, then lose $850 in the 20-40 mirage game.

Later that night, I meet Irieguy at the Mirage for their $230 buyin/$200 single rebuy NL tourney. We agree to a straight chop before the tourney begins, and both have slighly below average stacks when the field is whittled down from 89 to about 23, with 9 getting paid. I get sent to a table where one player hads about 35k of the total 115k or so in play, and am informed he has knocked the last 7 players off the table, including the last 4 to sit in from a new table, all from WAY behind. About 15 hands later he's knocked two more out in similar fashion. With the blinds at 150-300, I push 7 handed 2nd to act with QTo for 2375 after seeing the BB already making a mucking action with his cards and the SB looking similarly disinterested in calling. The "Terminator" is next to act, and he thinks for awhile, then calls, and I get ready to get up. He has QTd, and we chop. Fine by me. NExt hand, I have ATo UTG. I push immediately, terminator look down and call me immediately, everyone else folds, and again, I think I'm killed, until he says;

"It's not that good. A pair has me."

He turns over A5h.

Daliman: "I'm screwed, ain't I?"

Table,(in unison): "Yep"

Flop of QJ9 raibow turns me from 3-1 favorite to 11-1 fave, but turn 5 sentences me to the fate I knew was mine when he showed his hand. River 3 ends it.

Luckily, Irieguy has since doubled up, and ends up at the final table. After I dispense a few nuggets of Daliwisdom("Win, Dammit, I need the $$$!./ Get aces, have them hold up.), he ends up in the final 4.

Couple things about Irieguy. HE looks like a pretty mild-mannered guy, and he is. Makes ya think of Richie Cunningham and Apple. The kinda guy you'd look at and not mind that he sticks his hands in yer wife's crotch for a living. But MAN can he play poker. Knows all the numbers, exploits every edge, scrutinizes every piece of information available, and induces a few that aren't, and is methodical without being annoying. It took me about 3 hands of watching to figure out the class of the table. Needless to say, I was jockey on the right horse.

he asked my opinion on a deal if one was offered, and my take was that he had a decided advantage over the rest of the table, as only one of the remaining 6 at the time seemed anywhere NEEAR comfortable with final table play, and as long as the blinds were'nt TOO onerous, he should play it out. He concurred.

4 handed, an interesting hand came up. BLinds are 2k-5k and Irie had ~T30K in the SB and had action to him after the other 2 in folded. Irie, looked at his cards and placd a chip on them, then studied his opponent. The BB was a 60ish guy,~20k, who seemed to be clawing his cards when he was ready to throw them in at times, but also raised once after doing so, so not much to glean from that info. When he noticed Irie studying him, he put a chip om his cards and sat back. About 30 seconds went by, and I had a strong feeling that Irie was weak and was about to muck, when a waitress came by the table. She asked if anyone wanted a drink and was rebuffed by the tournement director, but then the 60ish guy in the BB hailed her and gave her a drink order! Now, that's not usually something someone who is concerned about his hand will do, but it could mean he's not concerned cuz he's got a huge hand. But then, as soon as he placed the order, he stared right back at Irie. Question answered. I PRAYED Irie picked all this up. Irie raised allin, and BB folded immediately /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Irie later told me he did, in fact, have rags there.

When it got down to three handed, Irieguy had ~T55k to the other 2 having each T30K when a hand only an internet player could love came up. Irie Was in the BB for 5k when the button folded, and the SB immediately moved allin on him. Irie called in about 2 seconds and i knew he was likely way ahead, which was confirmed by his opponent who showed 28d to Irie's AhJd. Flop came AK6 rainbow, and my man was about to be headsup versus a guy who couldn't stop shaking with a 3-1 chip lead. Turn is an 8, and I am counting what my cut is of the $7317 first prize, and the river is a 2... I spin and punch the air, and Irie's expression never changes. 70-1 favorite and he loses. /images/graemlins/frown.gif. He did return the favor twice versus the same player shortly thereafter howver when he sucked out A3d vs KK and J7d vs QQ before the blinds went up to 4k-10k. First hand at this level, Irie pushes from the SB after the button folds with ~T22k, and the BB, with 10K in and ~40k more behind, inexplicably yet predictably folds getting over 2.5-1 on his $$$, and they cut a 3 way deal the next hand, salvaging my trip. God love Irieguy. Someone said we must celebrate in the vicinity of unsheathed breasts, and CH2 got their cut of our skill-gotten gains.

Next day, Bellagio 30-60 treated me badly as it did before, and I lost $650, ending the trip a $150 loser. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Had a great time though, but MAN did i miss the Dalibaby, and to a much lesser extent, the Daliwoman.

SuitedSixes
12-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Nice trip report, Dali, thanks. Blackjack is evil.
[ QUOTE ]
Couple things about Irieguy. HE looks like a pretty mild-mannered guy, and he is. Makes ya think of Richie Cunningham and Apple. The kinda guy you'd look at and not mind that he sticks his hands in yer wife's crotch for a living. But MAN can he play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't wait to hear Irie's side of the tournament.

UMTerp
12-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Daliman,

Can you tell me a little more about the Mirage rebuy tourney (structure, average buy-in, blind info, etc.)? Is it worth playing? I'm heading out there in February, unfortunately won't be there for either of the Bellagio's weekly tourneys, and the Mirage rebuys look like my best bet. Was just wondering how it was. Thsnks. And a fun read.

Daliman
12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice trip report, Dali, thanks. Blackjack is evil.
[ QUOTE ]
Couple things about Irieguy. HE looks like a pretty mild-mannered guy, and he is. Makes ya think of Richie Cunningham and Apple. The kinda guy you'd look at and not mind that he sticks his hands in yer wife's crotch for a living. But MAN can he play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

P.S. THat was Supposed to say Richie Cunningham and Apple pie.

Daliman
12-30-2004, 12:38 PM
This was the Thursday night single rebut tourney. Workable blind structure/advancement rate, which may be available from their website. PLENTY of dead/weak money. I made it as far as I did on only having 2 hands that were half decent all night.

Irieguy
12-30-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mirage events are generally pretty good events. They have 30 minute rounds, and lots of tourists. Generally more dead money than the Orleans events, and a LOT more dead money than the two Bellagio weekly events. In this particular one, you get 500 or 600 chips to start, and then another 1000 for a rebuy. So it's not really a $200 tourney with a rebuy... it's a $400 tourney with one chance to lose all-in for only a third of your stack. (Daliman and I disagree about the correct rebuy strategy... maybe worthy of another post.)

I was in good spirits after hanging out with Daliman for a few days; he's a fun Vegas companion and the female attention that his Karaoke prowess garners cannot be overstated. We had talked a lot of poker, and I liked our chances of a nice cash. I was really hoping that we could both make the final table because with his talking and my drinking, we would have been an interesting duo to contend with.

About 15 minutes into the event I've decided that my table is so tight and predictable that I can safely play just about every hand. I've won about 9 small pots and had to show a 6-9 at the river after 3-betting preflop to isolate a weak player after the SB went all in for a small re-raise. I was happy with my image development and when pocket Kings came on my button, it was party time. I open-raise for about twice the pot and the loose-passive SB calls. Flop comes Jack high and he checks. I bet half the pot and he predictably moves all-in. I call, he shows AJ and spikes an ace on the river to bust me for my original buy-in. Damn. I rebuy and lose half my stack 2 hands later by overplaying AK and I start to think about how embarassing it is going to be to tell Daliman that I was eliminated in the first level of a rebuy tournament. I catch a glimpse of his chips, and he's doing pretty well. This is going to be humiliating... railbirding from 7:20 pm until after midnight to get my share of Daliman's winnings along with whatever disdainful glances he may shoot my way for the next several hours as he contemplates how lousy Irieguy must really be to blow through 1500 chips in 20 minutes with $30 blinds.

But I kept my composure and rallied back. A few small pots here and there got me back to even, and American Airlines arrives just before the break. A loose-semi-aggressive fishy but friendly player to my right brings it in for a 5XBB raise and I smooth-call from the button. We lose both blinds and the flop comes King high rainbow. He checks in that way that people check when they are about ready to check-raise you and I abide by throwing out a few chips. He pushes for an amount that I barely cover and I call. "Top pair" he says and shows his KJ. My aces surprise him, and double me up. Back on track.

The middle stages of a tournament are the most enjoyable and comfortable for me. I know how to change gears well as my stack-blind ratio varies from big to small, and by this time I have a pretty solid read on everybody. I never get many chips, and run card-cold for a few hours, so most of my play is just blind-stealing for survival. When we finally get down to 2 tables, Daliman and I are both alive, but short. Nevertheless, a final table together is looking like a possibility... and at least one of us has a chance to cash and make it worthwhile for both of us.

Daliman gets unlucky with his race, and I get lucky with mine to double up down to 11 players. I make the final 9 and consult Daliman for some final table wisdom. "Win," he says. "Ok," I reply. Good talk.

THE REVERSE GAP CONCEPT REARS ITS UGLY HEAD:

We go to the final table with 112K chips in play. A goofy older gentleman has about 60K and says he's being hit with the deck. He came from Daliman's table, so I ask what's up. Daliman tells me that his main tactic is to call huge bets with marginal hands and then suck out. He doesn't change his MO at the final table. I don't remember ever seeing him raise, but he kept calling all-in bets until his stack was all-gone. 5th place 30 minutes after having more than half the chips at the final table. It was blissfully painful to watch.

SCYLLA AND CHARYBDIS

This was, far and away, the most difficult situation I encountered during the event. Down to 4 players I realize my Heineken was empty. The waitress had just been by, so I know it's going to be at least 15 minutes before I can order another one. I had never played poker for 15 minutes without a Heineken in my hand before, and I didn't want to start now, at the final table, with Daliman watching my every play. On the other hand, I couldn't leave the table to buy a beer... I'd miss a few blinds that way. I could ask Daliman to get me a beer, but he was just visiting Las Vegas, and I am pretty sure that it's a major violation of the gambler's code to pay for drinks when you visit Vegas. Talk about a rock and hard place... I was seriously screwed here. I tried to keep my composure. "think, damnit, think." It became clear that there was no easy way out. I had to choose the lesser of two evils. Scylla would certainly take her toll, and her toll would be whatever psychological damage Daliman would have to incur by paying $6 for a beer in Vegas. But Charybdis was even worse... without my trusty Heineken I would certainly perish and all would be lost.

"DALIMAN!" When he looked at me I gestured with my empty Heineken bottle and summoned the most apologetic expression I could muster... "Please?"

Daliman was clearly demoralized, but he also understood the gravity of the situation. He vanished and returned post haste with a frosty Heineken. With new found strength, like Samson and his flowing locks, I began my assault on the final 4. I would not let Daliman's heroics be wasted. As a symbolic gesture, with my next all-in raise I placed my Heineken in the pot instead of my chips and took down the pot. Even the horror of a runner-runner beat 3 handed could not deter me now. With the blinds now more than 15% of everyone's stack, a 3-way split for better-than second place prize money seemed like a happy ending.

3am at the Crazy Horse Too, fresh Heinekens, and Daliman and Irieguy sitting on 6 large. For one brief moment in time, the universe was exactly as it should be.

Irieguy

Daliman
12-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes, it IS against my LV rules to pay for liqour or food, but in this case, I made an exception. It's kind of a strange dichotomy that I will bet $500 on a pure bluff in a NL cash game, but have a big problem paying even $2 for a drink, and think nothing of going 15 minutes out of myt way to hit the $4.99 steak special at Ellis Island. It's all part of the vegas experince for me.

This whole Scylla and Charbidis thing is greek to me though. Musta been the two girls we got lap dances from at CH2.

SuitedSixes
12-31-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is going to be humiliating... railbirding from 7:20 pm until after midnight to get my share of Daliman's winnings along with whatever disdainful glances he may shoot my way for the next several hours as he contemplates how lousy Irieguy must really be to blow through 1500 chips in 20 minutes with $30 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think he would have made you his beer bitch?

dtbog
12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This whole Scylla and Charbidis thing is greek to me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheheh. Well done. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice report! Sounds like a good time. I'm just glad Mr. A5 vs. AT didn't chop the prize with you.

-DB

texasrattlers
12-31-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had never played poker for 15 minutes without a Heineken in my hand before, and I didn't want to start now, at the final table, with Daliman watching my every play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot, Irieguy! Forgot how good Heineken's tasted playing poker. Now you've got me stocking up on them for my poker sessions! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif