PDA

View Full Version : Should I call here? I'm on the button!

jennicide
12-30-2004, 03:51 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button (t21370)</font>
SB (t32945)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t21625)</font>
UTG (t30630)
UTG+1 (t65370)
MP1 (t41210)
MP2 (t36440)
MP3 (t18050)
CO (t7235)
Preflop:
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t3600</font>, SB folds, BB calls t2400.
Flop: (t6600) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Button checks.
Turn: (t6600) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t3600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t7200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t17950</font>, Button calls t10495 (All-In).
River: (t42245) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Final Pot: t42245
Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Td As (two pair, aces and tens).
Button has 7d 6c (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins t41990. BB wins t255. </font>

Please, let me know what you think!
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

partygirluk
12-30-2004, 04:05 AM
I don't like your min raise on the turn. With a straight draw and possible flush draw you have strong possibilities. However, if you are going to bluff, you should give your opponent more of a chance to fold. You don't want BB to come back over the top here, meaning you have to put money in and hope (with an outside chance that you are drawing dead).

I would also have bet the flop here. Your only outs are two backdoor draws, so you do not care for the free card. You raised preflop and an Ace has come, the pot is a nice size so I would fire a buller then. If you get raised on the flop, it is no disaster, unlike on the turn.

LethalRose
12-30-2004, 04:13 AM
I would of just called on the turn. You're a 2:1 dog on the turn. If you miss the river you can fold and still not be crippled.

the button made a mistake slowing with the flush threat on the board, imo.

Calculation results from Poker Calculator 1.1.4.1
Texas Hold'em, 44 combinations tested.

Board: Ac8dTc 5c x

Hand | 7d6c | AsTd |
------+--------------+--------------+
Win | 15 | 29 |
Draw | 0 | 0 |
Lose | 29 | 15 |
Win% | 34.09% | 65.91% |

7d6c:
High Card win: 0 draw: 0 lose: 15
Pair win: 0 draw: 0 lose: 14
Straight win: 6 draw: 0 lose: 0
Flush win: 9 draw: 0 lose: 0

AsTd:
Two Pair win: 25 draw: 0 lose: 15
Full House win: 4 draw: 0 lose: 0

drewjustdrew
12-30-2004, 11:01 AM
I agree with calling the turn. He is giving you a cheap call.

Once all the action has taken place, I think you are not getting a decent price on your draw, might be close if you THINK your opponent doesn't have a higher flush card. You would be very short stacked if you fold, but a chip leader if you win, so a call is still probably in order.

woodguy
12-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi Jennicide,

You have to bet the flop here.

Flopping 2 pair is great, but there are 2 broadway cards and 2 to a flush and you need to protect your hand.

When you do not bet you are giving your opponent infinite odds to outdraw you.

A basic 1/2 to 2/3 pot sized bet on the flop probably would have taken this pot down.

Regards,
Woodguy

rocflight
12-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Woodguy, I believe the hero in this case was on the button, which means she had the 76o.

I also dislike the min raise on the turn and terribly dislike the call after the opponent's reraise. Your hand, while presenting fairly strong drawing possibilities, certainly cannot stand a huge reraise under these circumstances. Unless you have a real good read on your opponent, you probably would have to either bet big on the turn or lay down to the opponent's re-reraise.

MLG
12-30-2004, 01:01 PM
just call the turn. The raise is meant to take the pot down without hitting your hand, since your banking that if your opponent is just trying to pick up the pot he will fold. However, if you just call here it will be very hard for your opponent to fire again on the river without a real hand. So, if he checks the river to you then you take the pot away if you miss. If you hit your straight then you value bet. If you hit your low flush (As happened here) you just check right behind him. If the river doesnt get you there and he bets, then I'd be willing to give him credit for a missed flop check-raise and lay it down. Calling the turn here gives you so much more information that I think its right by quite a bit.

RobGW
12-30-2004, 01:02 PM
On the turn you have as many as 15 outs and as few as 0. You don't know with any certainty that a flush or a str8 will win this hand. Even with 15 outs you are a 2:1 dog. Even worse you could be drawing dead. I would want to see the river for as little as possible.

woodguy
12-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Oops.
Me dumb.

Regards,
Caffeinated Woodguy

partygirluk
12-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Jenni,

Something tells me you were really the BB in this hand.....

jennicide
12-31-2004, 01:10 AM
HAHA Party!But to answer that, No...Actually the Hero in this situation was not me...the hero was the player holding 76o in the 10+1 rebuy on PokerStars at 10:15 Eastern. Typically I would bet this flop with my top two pair hoping to get a call and/or raise..but I had misread this player and I figured he would bet the flop so I could raise. He checked, got a free card, which gave him enough outs to call my all in. Therefore, in this situation I'm not sure if I 'like' his call or would absolutely make it myself, but I can see where his logic is with calling. The questionable part is how quickly he called! I almost thought I had run into a set! When he turned over a straight/flush draw with 76c..I had wondered if a 6 high c draw would be enough for him to call there esp with flush potential already on the board. However, if I were the hero in this situation, I would just call the turn bet instead of raise here. I would river my 6 high flush and be good!