PDA

View Full Version : *BREAKING NEWS* New Tsunami Warning

partygirluk
12-30-2004, 02:27 AM
The Indian government has issued a new Tsunami warning. Thousands have fled coastal dwellings and beaches. More to come.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 02:45 AM
where did you hear this? Updates? links?

partygirluk
12-30-2004, 03:08 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4133993.stm

daryn
12-30-2004, 03:10 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Thousands have fled coastal dwellings and beaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

g00t idea.

man, i was just thinking today about how recently i was posting in a thread about visiting thailand for vacation.

DBowling
12-30-2004, 03:10 AM
Fresh tsunami alert across India's coastal areas (http://www.ndtv.com/template/template.asp?template=Tsunami&amp;slug=Alert+in+Kerala %2C+Tamil+Nadu+for+high+waves&amp;id=15982&amp;callid=0&amp;ca tegory=National)

DBowling
12-30-2004, 03:14 AM
i was thinking about going there too. any idea when it will be suitable for tourists again? or should i wait a while to make sure the world doesnt end first?

AngryCola
12-30-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should i wait a while to make sure the world doesnt end first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea.

tek
12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
US West Coast in danger?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&amp;u=/ap/20041230/ap_on_sc/quake_us_tsunamis

Shajen
12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
US West Coast in danger?

[/ QUOTE ]

No more than normal.

I think this is the news service trying to cash in on people's fears.

Liberal use of the word "could" throughout the whole thing.

I mean, too many things "could" happen to worry about this, ya know?

tek
12-30-2004, 11:32 AM
That's pretty much like the new alert in asia:

It could happen again folks, but don't worry or anything... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tripdad
12-30-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
should i wait a while to make sure the world doesnt end first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

the world cannot end until the Dome of the Rock comes down, and a Jewish temple rebuilt in its place. that would take a while.

cheers!

wacki
12-30-2004, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is the news service trying to cash in on people's fears.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. If scientists are saying the same ginding conditions of the plates exist, why would they lie? Or is the news taking the scientists words out of context?

Shajen
12-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure. I think it's just the way reading it sounded to me...sounded kinda fishy is all.

I mean, yeah, we all know California is sitting on a fault line...we've known that for years...so why bring this up now? I think it's simply because of what happened over seas.

I do gotta say I don't trust hardly anything the news media says though...so take what I say with a grain of salt.

wacki
12-30-2004, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, yeah, we all know California is sitting on a fault line...we've known that for years...so why bring this up now?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be suprised how many people ignore a group of NASA scientists that says asteroids are a danger and they only need $10 million a year to solve the problem. You would also be suprised at how far the RNC will go to discredit 99% of the scientists on the planet that are screaming about global warming. It's funny. The NASA scientists only want $10 million which is peanuts, and the ecosystems guys want us to develop new technology that would put America in the lead in the worlds largest industry and help solve terrorism. Both voices fall on deaf ears.

This is a point in which scientists (well geologists atleast) are likely to be listened too.

Shajen
12-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Hmmm...I can see your point...it has validity. I still feel this is a scare tactic by the news source though. However, if it brings funding to research these tsunamis and stuff like plate tectonics/asteroids/etc., then I'm all for it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
salt.

[/ QUOTE ] you called?