PDA

View Full Version : NL tourney hand

sapster
12-30-2004, 12:27 AM
33$ nl tourney, just moved to a new table, 7 handed with blinds 400/800. The Only person who has me covered is in the Sb and has 12k and i have 7k in the bb. Utg limps as do 2 others and the sb completes, I have AJo in the bb and push, good?

sapster
12-30-2004, 01:38 AM
Anyone? Basically my thinking was with the large amount of money in the pot Ajo 7 handed was good enough to try and pick it up, I was wrong and the sb limped ak and busted me. I've been having good success getting chips but have always squandered them late in tourneys, was I wrong to push this here?

Pepsquad
12-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Yes, you were wrong to push. AJ is not a great hand 7 handed. 4 or 5 handed - now that's an entriely different discussion. Check it and play the hand out.

sapster
12-30-2004, 02:22 AM
With 4k in the pot and no sign of strength you wouldn't even think of making a play at this pot with what might be the best hand?

Pepsquad
12-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Well, I just moved to this table so "no sign of strength" is a very relative term. UTG limped. Maybe UTG has folded the last 14 orbits in that position and and the fact that he is even in the pot IS a sign of strength.
The point is, I have no idea about this table yet and get the chance to see a cheap flop with a good but not great starting hand.

Yes, if you push - most of the time it will be respected (they don't know anything about you yet either) and you'll pick up a nice little pot. But half of the time you will be called by a low/mid PP or better ace. AJ just aren't the cards I want to be pushing with at a new table I know nothing about.

sapster
12-30-2004, 03:31 AM
I understand what you are saying, but if half the time i increase my stack to like 12k, and then 1/4 the time im vs a pair and 1/4 im vs a bigger ace, wouldn't this still be a good move? By the way with this structure I can't exactly wait for AA/KK the blinds go up huge at pacific and its shorthanded.

Pepsquad
12-30-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm not suggesting you need to wait for AA or KK. I'm just simply arguing against an all out PUSH here. What hands would you limp with UTG? Most of the hands I would limp with squash AJo. I just think there's nothing wrong with checking and seeing the flop.

sapster
12-30-2004, 04:00 AM
I wouldn't limp with anything except AA/KK/QQ trying for a reraise if the table was right, but the pacific players in these tournaments arent being tricky the majority of the time, and have Kx Ax or worse where x can go down to 2 easily =]

Pepsquad
12-30-2004, 04:06 AM
Okay sappy - I'm exhausted. lol. Go ahead and push.

sapster
12-30-2004, 04:08 AM
Sorry I think my frustration from getting far into these tourneys recently then having harsh exits is getting to me =[

Pepsquad
12-30-2004, 04:14 AM
Believe me - I know how it is. Keep your chin up.