PDA

View Full Version : Let them Bluff! (online strategy)

SoBeDude
12-29-2004, 09:29 PM
This is specifically aimed at the online aggressive games like the Party 15-30.

Lately, when I'm in a heads up situation and out of position with a less than stellar hand (say 2nd pair), I've come to checking the river when I've been betting every street.

I'll then check-call with ANY piece of the board, or AK unimproved.

I find that with these aggressive online games (specifically the Party 15 game) that my opponent will just about Auto-Bet the river when I check, even if they have nothing but a busted draw.

I think I encourage many additional river bluffs and collect more river bets this way.

thoughts anyone?

-Scott

bicyclekick
12-29-2004, 11:59 PM
I've been toying with similar things lately and have had similar thoughts.

Thing is, they'll call with some pretty weird [censored], too. So I dunno. I think it's a little more player dependant than you make it out to be, but if you find the right player, it's a great play.

Michael Davis
12-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Then you are also checkraising the river a lot more, right?

-Michael

SoBeDude
12-30-2004, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then you are also checkraising the river a lot more, right?

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the other one drops, I'll consider it.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lil feller
12-30-2004, 02:52 AM
I'm confused. Are you implying that you normally bet the river after you think an opponent missed a draw? Against an aggressive opponent I almost always check the river, unless I'm looking to get raised so I can three bet.

Against a passive player I think betting is better, as they probably won't bluff, but will call with weaker holdings. An aggressive player, especially a non-thinking aggressive player, will bet anything on the river that they would call a bet with, as well as bet any missed draw. When I'm playing against this kind of opponent, I look to get a c/r in on the river with as little as TpTk. I always thought this was standard, maybe I was wrong.

lf

tolbiny
12-30-2004, 05:18 AM
Do you also find that you "aggressive" opponents tend to check down their less than steller hands that beat your less than steller hands? What about their less than stellar hands that are worse than yours?

RainFall
12-30-2004, 09:26 AM
I agree with this strategy somewhat in limit. I will get all sorts of river bets into me with my less than steller hands. I also don't want to c/r the river that much because i don't want to take this play away from myself. If i get into checkraising the river i will give them reason to check behind more.

Turning Stone Pro
12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
I have to agree with the gist of what you are saying. If I'm in a heads up situation, especially with the extraordinarily weak play I have seen late at nite (EST) in recent weeks, I will check-call at the end with a wide array of hands (any pair, AK or AQ) that I would never do in a B&M.

Even I, one who is not known for mucking at the end in a decent pot unless I am 99 % sure I am beat, mucked two sub-par holdings in a three handed situation at the end where my hand was good. I'm talking situations like nut flush draw and 3rd pair that doesnt improve on the river, in the face heat on the turn and a lead and call in front of me on the river. Well, that was about $900.00 that I just gave away -- free money offered by the fish, and I just turn it down.

Now, if it is one of the 25-30 players on PP who we all know about as being solid, these guidelines dont apply. But, in light of the recent developments and influx of truly incompetant competition, I am going to be loosening up the river check-call criterion.

Happy New Year!

TSP

goofball
12-30-2004, 07:29 PM
that's funny, i've some been making a lot of weird river checkis or bets in the right spot. so far i've liked it

BabyJesus
12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
I find myself using a similar strategy online recently as well. I have taken it to another level though and used it on the turn as well sometimes. Not sure if this is too weak tight of play or not. I have gotten people to bet their Q high or K high on the turn and river with it though. I can mix it up sometimes as well, I'll bet the flop with something like TpTk then c/r the turn and lead the river. It keeps them off balance when they're used to you check calling the turn and river.

Kenrick
01-01-2005, 07:52 AM
I guess I've been playing the wrong games since this is standard play for me. I'll let people induce their own bluffs all day long. They won't call otherwise anyway.

And with the outrageousness of the holiday season, I've also had a 30/60 buddy tell me that he thinks the typical 2/4 player probably plays better than the typical 15/30 player. He wasn't too high on the 30/60 players of late, either. He as well as another 30/60 buddy both asked, "Where do these people get their money?"

Someone bank me an extra 5k and I'll hit the 15/30. Some of the plays at that level look downright embarrassing.

lil'
01-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I find that with these aggressive online games (specifically the Party 15 game) that my opponent will just about Auto-Bet the river when I check, even if they have nothing but a busted draw.

I guess I don't find this is happening to me as much as it is to you, so I find myself still value betting those rivers, and I am usually not disappointed. I still think the money I make value betting far outweighs a strategy based on inducing bluffs.

Of course, some people are so aggressive that they make it easy to induce the bluff.