PDA

View Full Version : Overpair and OESD: What do you do?

SuitedSixes
12-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I have had this exact situation come up twice in the last month, once live and once virtual(?). After the flop, I end up HU with a similar sized stack. I have JJ and the board is 89T. In both cases I was on the button.

Live, it was the beginning of the 4th round, Blinds (200-400), the (non)action folds to me and I raise to 1200, I am only called by the BB, we both have about 4,800 left after the PF raising (Pot, 2600).

Online, it was it was early (1st or 2nd round). I had limped in on the button, and the BB made a min-raise, I was the only caller.

In each case, I made a pot-sized bet and was check/raised all-in. What do you do?

triplc
12-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, the following hands have you beat (assuming rainbow flop...you didn't say in your post)...

QJ (the only hand you're in real trouble against)
AA, KK, QQ (3-2 dog, except for qq, 3-1 dog)
TT, 99, 88 (approx 7-3 dog for each)
67 (highly unlikely with a raise or a cold call of a raise).
89, 9T, 8T (also unlikely).
What other hands would he raise with (AK, AQs, small pair)?

It's hard to find raising hands where you are ahead, but in the first one, you still have to call. If he's got the nuts, you are in trouble, but you have at least a 30-40% to draw out on him in all other cases but QQ (25%) or QJ (2%), and your odds are almost 5-1 (2200 into a 10000 pot by my calculations).

In the second case, I would probably fold, because your odds don't warrant it, and there still aren't a lot of hand you can beat unless this guy is a real nut and will raise with hand like ATs, ATo, KTs or something similar.

If the flop was two or three-suited, it changes the dynamic here, because now flushes or flush draws are out there.

Tough call...but I think it's call and fold, respectively.

Play well,

CCC

pshreck
12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
From a pot-odds perspective, its a pretty easy call (you may very well be ahead, and if not, you have a ton of outs).

However... you are not giving us the most important piece of information, which is how many other players are left and what their stacks are.

I don't think its correct to bet 2600 when you only have 4800 left... just push in the first place, eliminate him getting creative with QK or JK, etc.

SuitedSixes
12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Sorry . . . flushes were not a consideration.