PDA

View Full Version : What is folding equity?

Wario
12-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Make sure you dumb it down a bit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks.

Freakin
12-29-2004, 08:53 PM
When you make a bet, your opponent will fold a certain percentage of the time. That is your folding equity. So if you have a hand that you believe to be second best, that has 5 outs, a semi-bluff bet can allow you to win in two ways.
1) You improve to your better hand and win
2) Your opponent folds

You can never know your folding equity, but you can estimate it based on your opponents previous actions.

Freakin

Wario
12-30-2004, 10:05 AM
So the more likely your opponent is to fold the greater your folding equity. I get it, thanks.

Also, is there such thing as 'bluffing equity' or is that just the same thing?

niin
12-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Since when you're bluffing, you want your opponent to fold, yes. Although on a bluff, your only equity is your folding equity.

The Goober
12-30-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the more likely your opponent is to fold the greater your folding equity. I get it, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I think your folding equity is more complicated than that. My understanding is that its essentially the EV that you gain by giving your opponent a chance to fold. I.E. if your opponent will fold the winning hand 50% of the time, your folding equity is the half the pot. If he will only fold a worse hand, then your folding equity is 0. If he has a drawing hand that will draw out on you 25% of the time, but he will fold to your bet 50% of the time, then your folding equity is 12.5% of the pot.

That's my understanding, anyways - hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.