PDA

View Full Version : Stratego related idea for improving Texas Holdem

Clarkmeister
12-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Stratego was a very cool game. Key to strategy in Stratego was the "spy". I'll leave it for others to elaborate.

What if in texas holdem we changed just one rule: unimproved pocket deuces beat unimproved pocket aces?

Or to generate even more action, unimproved pocket deuces beat any pair of aces, whether a pocket pair or something like AK with an Ace on the board?

I need to think about this some more. Sounds like a potential home game.

Phat Mack
12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Only slightly related, but I've played NLHE where the second-best hand won. (Played cards speak.) Interesting game, especially in multi-way showdowns.

nolanfan34
12-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Hmm, I like this idea. I was just thinking the other night about how hand values would change if a straight beat a flush. But this idea has even more potential.

If your rules catch on Clark, maybe the new game can be named Deucemeister poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if in texas holdem we changed just one rule: unimproved pocket deuces beat unimproved pocket aces?

[/ QUOTE ]It would be silly, but sounds like fun when I am drunk playing in a home game, but a bitch to remember /images/graemlins/crazy.gif SO pocket dueces would only beat a pair of aces, or would it beat any pair?

SossMan
12-29-2004, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only slightly related, but I've played NLHE where the second-best hand won. (Played cards speak.) Interesting game, especially in multi-way showdowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

so when it's heads up, it's essentially lowball holdem?

spamuell
12-29-2004, 08:28 PM
SO pocket dueces would only beat a pair of aces, or would it beat any pair?

Just a pair of aces, that's the beauty of the spy in Stratego which only beats a Marshall but loses to any other piece while the Marshall beats any other piece. I think that's right, I haven't played for years.

Theoretically, this would reflect in a deuce to seven low beating only a royal flush, but this would be silly.

jstnrgrs
12-29-2004, 08:30 PM
no, high hand wins unless the high hand is a pair of aces, and the low hand is a pair of duces.

daryn
12-29-2004, 10:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

Phat Mack
12-29-2004, 11:41 PM

Right: 2-7. If you move to make it heads up, and get two callers, you've got a problem. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Stratego pwns. I have a more brute style of play than a secretive one.

andyfox
12-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Any game that involves a deuce is a bad one for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 01:38 AM
I really like dropping dueces.

Gabe
12-30-2004, 05:57 AM
what about counterfitted 22?

Non_Comformist
12-30-2004, 06:01 AM
Not to get off topic but Stratego is a kick ass game. I played that against my brother and dad for countless sessions.

I usually go with the bombs gaurding the corners and a center square with the flag being in one.

I also sometimes go with a double wall of bombs protecting the flag and an enforcer.

youtalkfunny
12-30-2004, 07:50 PM
I once made the nut low in hold'em (9875432).

I bet most of you wouldn't stay to the river with that holding. /images/graemlins/smile.gif