PDA

View Full Version : "springboarding" a short-stack

Big Limpin'
12-29-2004, 05:52 PM
You know the situation. You've got the goods (preflop, on the flop, later streets, whatever)

You are fairly sure this shortstack guy is not going to be folding. Multi-way pot.

You bet just under what s/s has, expecting him to bump it up a little as he pushes. You can then thunder overtop. Forcing other healty stacks to either drop some dead money into the pot (90% of the s/s, usually), or have to call TWO big bets from you (the second being a push, usually) without them ever having raised.

Some sites let you do this. Some don't. I am aware that its not legal raise normally, but if your chosen site lets you do this.....

Is it unethical?

sofere
12-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Why would that be unethical...if they call, they know that you still have the option to raise. They also know the size of your stack. If this is unethical, then checking the flop to trap someone when you flop quads is unethical.

Big Limpin'
12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
In most (all?) B&M multi-tourneys, you cannot raise overtop of someones re-raise if it is smaller in size than the orinigal bet.

If i bet 300 into someone who has 599 chips, their push is only a 299 raise, and is not "legal"....i can only call.

If i bet 300 into somone who has 601 chips, they are raising 301, a "legal raise", and it is open season.

This is the rule BECAUSE the springboarding play is too damn powerful. But, like is say, if your site allows you...is it ok to do it?

(Note: I do. Im looking out for #1. F*ck 'em) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sofere
12-29-2004, 06:24 PM
I see...well IMHO its beneficial to both the reraiser and the short stack (the s/s would most likely call anyway) and now there is more dead money in the pot for a chance to triple or quadruple up. As for the callers I'm a believer in caller beware.

This is the first I've heard of this rule (although I have noticed not being allowed to raise with an all-in), but I am a relative newbie. Frankly i'm not a fan, you should be able to do whatever you damn well please.

rjb03
12-29-2004, 08:07 PM
If I've got a great hand and someone I think may be on tilt or has a moderately short stack (4-5bb) is to act behind me, I'll bet half or a little less of their stack so the betting comes back to me.

SuitedSixes
12-29-2004, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it unethical?

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be unethical not to.

DrGonzo
12-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Does PartyPoker re-open the betting for less than a full size bet in NL? Rules on their page do not say anything about it...

Big Limpin'
12-30-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does PartyPoker[...]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. you got me. I am the only 2+2 guy without a party account. Pokerroom is all i play, and they let you do it for ANY raise.

Sluss
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey Big Limpin' I don't have a party account either just a Pokerroom and Stars.

My favorite on Pokerroom is when you raise to 5 less than the short stack he calls everyone else folds and on the flop he checks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AA suited
12-31-2004, 03:26 AM
no, u cant do that. u can only re-raise if the shortstack has 600+ chips (from your example above).