PDA

View Full Version : Things about Party fixed SNG 10$-50$

Omaha8Player
12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi there all. This is my first post on the SNG forum.
I have bin playing the 3/6 Fixed Holdem games for a long time and is making good money on them. Now I would like to start playing SNG to improve my overall play.
I now yeast want to here from you more experienced players about general strategies changes to beat the FIXED SNG tables on different levels and if you have any general SNG tips.

Best regards Fredrik

adanthar
12-29-2004, 05:12 PM
The strategy for the $10's, 20's-30's and 50's is very different.

Search for AleoMagus' guide on how to beat the 10's to get you started. The higher levels (especially the 50's) are where you can get away from mechanical play and actually think about what the other players have.

FWIW, 3/6 players at Party are pretty close to the $30's in skill level, IMO.

Omaha8Player
12-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Thank you for that tips adanthar but my interest lies in Fixed limit SNG and my guess it that it qute different from NL. Maby i looked at the wrong post but it seamed like it were refering to NL SNG.
Best regards Fredrik

adanthar
12-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Ohh, fixed as in fixed limit?

Most people here specialize in NL. Party limit tourneys are very soft (any decent player at a given buyin can probably move up a notch, maybe two and still beat the limit ones) but they take almost twice as long on average.

If you play them like a cash game and just try to figure out how short stacks change the game (read TPFAP) you're not *that* far off, but they're not really worth your time due to the fact that they take so long.

alexbrew
12-29-2004, 05:52 PM
At less than $55, they aren't that long. There's only 8000 chips on the table. the blinds get to $500/$1000 about 10 to 15 minutes after a NL game would have ended. There's 4 people left standing (kneeling down praying for cards) and it's a crapshoot that's over in no time.

To add to the thought, blind stealing is rampant, making the average hand last 5 seconds, which means the blinds are going up at an astronomical rate because blinds are based not on time, but based on hands dealt.

Big Limpin'
12-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I may be wrong here. Hopefully someone will tell me if i am.

I think, for limit poker, you will have trouble matching your $/hr from 3/6 limit ring at most any level of limit SnG. Also, Limit SnG are harder to outplay weaker opponents than NL SnG. I am not aware of a "guide" to limit SnG, but i imagine it would be: Play tight as hell early, super-agressive late. And pray for good cards, cause you will have to see alot more showdowns than at NL.

Just my opinions (guesses, frankly).

alexbrew
12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
The praying for cards in the end is the thing you are oh so right about. I like to do O8 sng where limit is pretty much the option. I feel like I can value a hand better than most shorthanded which gives me a slight edge (not that great). In Hold'em this is harder to do because there's so much written that most have a general understanding of AJ is really strong compared to QT.

Omaha8Player
12-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Ye the money on 3/6 is really good but you need to try new things to dewelop youre play and SNG are a good and cheape way to do that.
When is the bubble play coming in. I have seen that in many post but bont really know what it mean.

Thanks for all the tips so fare.

DrewOnTilt
12-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Bubble play means that you are 1 place away from the money. Example: Party SNGs pay the top 3 finishers. When the tournament is down to 4 players, you are said to be "on the bubble."

Omaha8Player
12-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Wow there is not much action here regarding Limit SNG. Are all you playing NL SNG?
The limit SNG are so soft so why dont you play them?

lacky
12-30-2004, 09:32 PM
just my take on it, but limit sng's aren't worthwhile learning becouse there is no future in it. There's plenty of limit sng's at the lower levels, but at $109's and $215 there are almost none. Why try to master something that is not popular. It's like mastering 7 stud. It's a great game, but there is very little opertunity anymore. You want to learn something new anyway, so you should just go ahead and learn the NL sng's.