PDA

View Full Version : Tournament wins, Table losses

10-14-2001, 03:38 AM
I play at Paradise Poker. I have been very successful in tournament play, however, I lose at the regular games.

My luck seems so much better in tournaments. It's uncanny. Has anyone else had this experience.

There is much more bluffing in my tournament play, maybe this is why I'm more successful. However, in general, I just seem to get better hands in tournament play.

I also wonder if the overall rake is acutally less in tournament play vs. regular play...

comments welcome

10-14-2001, 04:16 AM
you'll undoubtably have less of a rake in tourney games...they just take 10 percent off the top, which is usually less then what'd you lose playing for half an hour on paradise to the rake.

I tend to focus better in the tournaments...read the players and the plays they make more....plus I can easily make short stacked moves easier...that's not a bluff..it just means that when almost everyone is 3 hands away from being knocked out, an A-8 raise gets a lot more respect then in a 3-6 game with 8 players with $200

and my short handed game/heads up play is getting good. Makes it easier to win then in the 10 handed no foldem-holdem crap on Paradise

10-14-2001, 07:25 PM
Is the format of these tournaments similar to limit tournaments on real tables in Las Vegas?

Thanks for your feedback.

As an aside, what betting level in a regular ring game do you equate to a $33 buy in tournament game? 2/4 or 3/6?

10-15-2001, 02:15 AM
At my live tables in Minnesota, your buy in has to be 10 times the BB - so I'd say 3-6 for $33 bucks. (although I'll never do it for less then $100 - a short stack buy in just screams "Ultra-Tight")

I'd say the format is actually a lot more similar to satellite games...one table...top player takes almost everything...that feels more like the what Paradise is like.

RB

10-15-2001, 11:52 AM
you may be right about the bluff...generally a bet gets more respect in a tournament.

if you are correct, then move up to larger trnmt, if you continue to win, move up, etc.