PDA

View Full Version : Horrible play???

gchaos
12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
This is my second hand on the table and neither MP2 or the button is in my PT database. On the turn, I was torn between folding and raising. Here was my though process: I did not give anyone credit for AK since there was no pre-flop raise (it sure would have been nice to have a read). Since they both came to life, I suspected something like KQ for top pair and an open ended straight draw or possibly even J10 for two pair. Yes K9 is possible, but so is waiting for the turn to come out firing with AQ (but then again AQ would have been raised pre-flop...AK definitely, AQ maybe)...Even if I am wrong I still have four outs to fill up.

On the river, the pot is 18BB by the time it hits me and I close the action so I have to call with two pair.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

cab4656
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Capping the turn seems pretty reckless. Getting 10:2 (actually it's more like 12:3 cause it's getting capped if you don't cap it) I'm not sure if I want to call or fold. Are the times that your hand is best here enough to make up for the bad odds you're getting to draw to a boat? Against two people who felt the need to wait until the turn to raise here, I would lean towards a fold. Maybe someone will correct me.

gchaos
12-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I agree the cap seemed pretty reckless at the time. But I have to put them on a range of hands right? Here are the hands I am behind: AK, JJ, QQ, TT, 22, QJ, K9, 89. I discount AK, JJ, QQ, TT since I would have expected a PF raise. That leaves 22, QJ, K9, and 89. I suspect QJ and 22 to raise my flop bet as an ace, king, or ten on the next card would be scary. That leaves K9 or 89? There are a lot of loose players on 2/4, so I guess something like K9s is possible. So my only real fear seems to be 89.

I just don't see how calling on the turn with a possible raise behind as an option. I can be easily convinced that folding is correct, but calling? If you call, then what do you do when it is capped behind you? If you are going to fold to the cap, you might as well not call. If you are going to call the cap, you might as well raise it yourself to show some strenght, and hopefully slow everyone down to see the river for cheap. Perhaps I should not have even led out on the turn???

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-29-2004, 06:54 PM
I think your biggest mistake in this hand is giving your opponents as much credit as you do. You are assuming that your opponents are smart players who analyze the flop, don't slowplay, don't limp big hands etc. etc. when the fact of the matter is that there are a ton of hands that beat you or that you're drawing dead against. When it's two bets back to you on the turn you are getting 5:1 (with a possible cap behind you) on what is most likely a draw to 4 outs, assuming that QQ, TT or QJ is not out there. I would fold this on the turn.

bisonbison
12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
capping the turn is baaaaaaaaaaad. There's almost no chance you're ahead against sane people here, and you have a great chance of being in 3rd place.

When it comes back to you on the turn you're getting 10:2 for 4 outs, (2 to the second nuts, none to the nuts). I must fold without a read.

gchaos
12-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I suspected it was a bad play (hence the subject title). And yes bison, you were correct, I was in third place. One had AK and the other had K9.