PDA

View Full Version : AA right before the first break

gcoutu
12-29-2004, 10:37 AM
The $20 MTT on FTP last night. Sorry I don't have a hand converter, but I remember pretty well the situation.

158 players started and at the time of this hand there were maybe 70 left (they go fast on FTP).

I have T2550 in SB
Villian 1 has T4300 in CO
Villian 2 has T1450 on Button

I am dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif in the SB
Blinds are 50-100

Player in Mp limps CO raises to 300, Button Calls
I re-raise to 750.

MP folds, CO calls and Button Calls

Flop 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I am first to act with 1800. What is your line from here? Also, would you have smooth called or re-raised bigger pre-flop? I hate being first to act with a big hand. I have only played 2 oribits at this table since I was moved and I don't think I played a hand until this one. I don't really have a read on my opponents here (no notes or anything), but I figured pretty big hands since there was a raise, call, and re-raise and they both called.

I'll post results later.

Goodie54
12-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Your only play is to go all in on this flop. If your beat, your beat. Nothing you can do.

Sounds like a bad beat story.

As an aside, I would have raised to at least 1000 pre-flop with that many players in.

Peace

Goodie

etgryphon
12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm with Goodie on this one...

If I am reading this correct, there is 1450 in the pot and the CO who raise has only 450 to call thats 3.2:1 pot odds and the Button has 4.2:1 odds I would have at least raised it to 1k or pushed and hoped for a call from AK,QQ,KK...

On the Flop it is an easy push...

-Gryph

O8onlineChamp
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
I agree, raise at least $1000, you might as well go all in. If you win you have enough chips to get into the last 25 to 30 players.

tiger7210
12-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Since you hold the Ac, chances are with the preflop action the flush draw is a very slim possiblity unless your 2 opponents are extremely loose. I think I would check here and hope they put me on AK and let them push thier pair 99's-QQ's. If you didn't hold the Ac then I think a push to lead would be right. With the backdoor nut flush I would think you're way ahead on this flop and would give your opponent a chance to push all their chips in.

Sam T.
12-29-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm something of an advocate of cold-calling a PF raise with AA, but only if I'm close to positive we're going to be heads up on the flop. With a cold-caller in front, you gotta make a real reraise to chase out some of the opposition. I would probably raise the pot here.

You're pushing the flop here. Anything less is an underbet, and just gives the draws encouragement.

tiger7210
12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
After reading some of the other replys, I disagree that you needed to raise more preflop. When I get AA's I'm not looking to shut everyone out. I'm looking to double or triple up and if i get sucked out so be it. I'm not looking to win TC500. If I double or triple though here I have a chance to use a big stack aggressively especially showing down AA's. Your 750 preflop bet is ~30% of your stack and I would assume you're going to the felt with it anyway. If it were later in the tournament and stacks were deeper and you're already in the money that would be diferent. At this stage of the tourny though, I think your PF play was absolutely correct if you're looking to double up here and can handle getting sucked out on.

Wayfare
12-29-2004, 12:22 PM
What about c/r all-in? Someone with a higher pocket will probably set you in anyway. Someone with AK or two clubs will make probably make a go for it as well.

I don't think open-push here is a great idea because you want more value and have plenty of money behind. I would love to hear some of the experienced MTT players' opinions.

gcoutu
12-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the responses...seemed most agree a larger pre-flop raise may work out a little better and most think the push on the flop is auto.

I pondered the raise pre-flop for a while and figured that 750 was enough and was really hoping the button (the shortest stack) would fold or push when it came to him. I felt he was the weakest and just called cause he had the button. Also, if the CO has QQ or KK he would likely push and hope I don't have AA. Perhaps the raise to 1000 would work, but I didn't mind both calling.

On the flop I decided to push my 1800 into the 2450 pot hoping that QQ or KK would have to call. I didn't think there was anyway that either had the flush draw, and I know they didn't have the nut flush draw since I had the A /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Results were a bad beat, but that wasn't my reason for posting. I really wanted to find out if I should have been more aggressive pre-flop since there was chance it would be a 3 way pot.

CO called my all in with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and Button called with 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Turn was the 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

River 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

The button won the main pot with a straight to the 7 and side pot went to the set of 9's

I seem to lose a lot of chips right before breaks and I figured it was due to playing passive right before the break and wanting to avoid any major confrontations. Obviously, they made bad plays to call the all in (well the 77 had to figure he had 6 outs and good enough odds on his remaining 690 in chips) but the pre-flop action was the most important.

UOPokerPlayer
12-29-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm check-raising all in here, for the same reasons Wayfare listed.

NickPoker
12-29-2004, 03:08 PM
No way you check this flop, there are too many scare cards. What if it checked around and another card to the straight or flush comes. In this case even if your opponent didn't catch he could easliy bluff you off the hand. I say push all in and hope your opponent has not hit a straight on you, not much you can do if he did. The only drawing hand I could see calling this would be straight flush draw.

NickPoker
12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
The guy with the 9's probably cost you the pot by calling, I doubt the 7's call without the extra action (but you never know).

adanthar
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy with the 9's probably cost you the pot by calling, I doubt the 7's call without the extra action (but you never know).

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy with the 7's put in half his stack to 2 raises and now has himself a 653 flop. Don't kid yourself.

I'd have pushed PF and hope somebody calls my AK.

zaxx19
12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Why exactly do you ever want to be called with AK here?? I mean I guess AQ is a possibility but you are prolly a 45% shot here.

adanthar
12-29-2004, 03:29 PM
You read it wrong - I mean that I'm pushing aces and want to be called by nines since the huge overbet means I've obviously got AK.

This works far better than you'd think it would.

Masquerade
12-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah I would have re-raised a little more pre-flop. Perhaps put half your chips in?

On the flop I definitely push as there's no reason to believe you arent best. I'm not a big fan of the check-raise on the flop as they might not bet and you could be giving a catastrophic free card to 44 or 77, or just generally letting a pair try to hit a set for free.

drewjustdrew
12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
If you are going to bet half your chips, all your chips will be in on the flop no matter what. If that is the plan, you might as well raise all-in preflop. If they were going to call the overbet you suggest, they should also call the extreme overbet. You definitely get your chips in with the best hand.

I like the small raise, but it makes you vulnerable. Anytime someone calls you preflop, you are vulnerable. When two people call, you are in even more danger.

That being said, it would take a hell of a player not to go broke the way the cards came out, unless they made an all-in raise preflop and got everyone else to fold.