PDA

View Full Version : Good spyware program?

billyjex
12-29-2004, 05:38 AM
I do not have a spyware program except for some crappy shareware programs.

What's a good program? Or are they all pretty much the same?

AngryCola
12-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html)

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Get Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com (http://www.lavasoftusa.com)

That's always been my spyware remover of choice, although you should use two (or even three) programs because apparantly some programs remove spyware that others don't.

Reef
12-29-2004, 08:17 AM
besides spybot and adaware, I'd consider spywareblaster. Easy to find on www.download.com (http://www.download.com)

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 10:08 AM
I think Spybot & AdAware together catch about everything that you're gonna catch. And both are free.

bwana devil
12-29-2004, 10:15 AM
consider dumping internet explorer. firefox is where it's at right now. using that as a browswer will prevent you from getting almost all spyware (plus it has many other benefits).

Shajen
12-29-2004, 10:25 AM
tabbed browsing is the best thing to ever happen to teh intarweb.

Plus, all the plugins for firefox kick much ass.

In other words:

SECONDED

vulturesrow
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
consider dumping internet explorer. firefox is where it's at right now. using that as a browswer will prevent you from getting almost all spyware (plus it has many other benefits).

[/ QUOTE ]

While I generally agree with you, there are some caveats. Many websites are written with IE functionality specifically in mind, ActiveX being the most prominent. Many banking websites and similar ones will not work properly in Firefox. Also, many corporations and such operate with the Microsoft model and I can tell you from experience that for instance Outlook Web Access, which I use on the road all the time, doesnt work well in Firefox.
There are several well done browser extensions for IE that give you tabbed browsing functionality and other little perks. For the average user, I would almost recommend sticking to IE with the caveat that the be vigilant about downloading updates. However for the slightly more savvier computer user, I would also recommend Firefox, and keep IE loaded for those websites that may not work under Firefox.

Also for "defense" of my home computer, I use Spyware Search and Destroy, Lavasoft's AdAware, AVG anti-virus(awesome free version available, more than adequate for the home user), and ZoneAlarm's free firewall. If you are going to do broadband internet, a firewall is a must. I hate MacAfee and their ilk as far as their "security" products go. They are bloated pieces of crap and they charge you not only cost of the product but subscription fees too. Everything you need is free for download and generally much better. Most of the free stuff have commercial products too or if you want to thank them for their fine work, most accept donations through paypal.

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I got Spybot S&D and Ad-aware. Also recommend Webroot Spy Sweeper.

Non_Comformist
12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
cool thanks I had spybot but had not heard of this

Leo99
12-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Ad Aware, Spybot and Hijack This. Hijack This is more powerful but make sure you don't delete things you need/want. My daughter loaded up my "other" PC with all kinds of adware, spyware, viruses, trojans, downloaders, etc. Those programs listed above plus AVG cleaned it all up. Ad Aware comes in version 6.0 and an SE version. The SE version wouldn't run on my Win98 box. Version 6.0 ran fine on it.

David04
12-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Why anyone would want spyware is beyond me /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

edtost
12-31-2004, 10:01 AM
spywareblaster is a wonderful thing for techs to install on idiots' computers so they don't come back to us as often, but is pretty useless if you have a clue and use firefox.