PDA

View Full Version : Just calling with (or folding) KK or QQ preflop in sngs.

iMsoLucky0
12-29-2004, 03:35 AM
I know that this gets posted about alot, and I'm not trying to stir up old questions. I think that I actually have a unique situation, where I am honestly going to start thinking about folding KK or QQ or at least just calling for set value.

The situation is this: it is early in a tournament, level 1 or 2, but usually level 1, and you pick up KK or QQ. You make a standard raise to anywhere from 60-90 or whatever, and a player either behind you, or who limped utg, raises that to like 150-200. And it is one of those raises that just SCREAMS AA. Where it's so obvious he's just raising to try and make action for his hand. It's easier for me to call someone raising my raise to 70 or 100 to allin than just raising barely more than the minimum.

It seems like when this situation arises, I almost always get a gut feeling that he has AA (or KK if I have QQ), but I move allin anyways just because I can't justify laying down QQ or KK preflop in a sng. But at least 90% of the time I get this feeling, they call immediately and show me that I am dominated.

I am wondering if when I get this feeling in this situation that seems to arrise often, if it is okay to either fold, or call for set value with these hands?

Like I said, I'm not just trying to think of some outlandish situation where you should fold KK preflop, this situation actually happens to me, and I am curious if this happens to anyone else and if it is okay to fold or just call. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

adanthar
12-29-2004, 03:40 AM
Of the last 6 limp/reraises I've seen, the hands involved contained the following:

1 KK
1 QQ
1 JJ
1 AK
1 99
1 88 (that last one was mine; the guy thought forever, typed in 'what the [censored]...KK or AA', and folded)

Draw your own conclusions.

edit: I forgot the clown with the 68 VP$IP through 30 hands that did it twice - I folded the first time and he showed down K6 sooted the second time. Not sure if he counts.

iMsoLucky0
12-29-2004, 03:45 AM
I will agree that you see those hands when someone limpraises allin. However, you failed to address how much those players were limpraising, and you completely ignored the situation where it is just someone behind you or in the blinds. Reraising is one thing where you will see a variety of hands, but I am talking about when they rereaise just more than the minimum and it really looks like they are just milking it. I usually only get this feeling when the raise comes from an extremely tight player, and it is just more than the minimum

adanthar
12-29-2004, 03:53 AM
Okay. In that case, I will often minimum reraise AA-QQ and AKs in almost any position (and I've seen loosies do it with JJ-TT.)

From the right player that you have a read on, it's possible to do what you're describing with QQ, but when you have kings the chips have to go in, period. (I suppose you could call and fold to an all in if the flop is exactly QJx - but if he shows down A5s, like I've seen at least once, it's your own fault.)

Turk
12-29-2004, 05:04 AM
When you get that feeling again...ignore it, and push. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Because I think your other thought is right, you shouldn't justify laying them down.
I don't know what level you are playing at, but in the $10's where I play, and I understand at least to the $30's it is definately not justifiable to lay these hands down.

Pepsquad
12-29-2004, 05:47 AM
It's okay to just call and play for set value. If I have a very good read on an opponent, I will lay down QQ or even KK on occasion (emphasis on "very good" read). I recognize the situation you're talking about. Typically, when you are min-raised by the original limper holding AA at the lower limits, they will immediately fire an additional 300-500 on the flop regardless of flop texture. That's when I get a sick feeling in my stomach.
But for the most part, I agree with the other posters, 99 times out of 100 I'm in for better or worse with KK/QQ.