PDA

View Full Version : Best beer for under $5 per 6-pack

nolanfan34
12-29-2004, 01:58 AM
We've seen some best beer threads in the past. But what about when you slap on the disclaimer that it must be under $5 per 6-pack?

I nominate this:

http://www.riverviewendo.com.au/beer/PetersBrand.jpg

$3.99 at Trader Joe's, and a very tasty pilsner.

balkii
12-29-2004, 04:39 AM
wow this thread is 2 1/2 hrs old and the hipsters haven't jumped all over it claiming "PBR"....somethings amiss

nothumb
12-29-2004, 04:44 AM
Well, I was going to say PBR, but I'm not hip at all...

Got hooked on it while watching the Sox in the playoffs... it was all anybody ever brought...

Look, I get pints of it for a buck at the bowling alley. It's a totally serviceable, cheap American beer.

And in Berkshire County, a cup of coffee costs 5 bucks, so getting six beers for that much ain't easy...

NT

Shillx
12-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Hamm's. Dunno if it comes in a 6-pack, but the 30 cases are pretty damn close to 5 bones (more like 10).

Brad

thatpfunk
12-29-2004, 08:57 AM
ive neve bought beer in *only* a 6-pack so i wouldn't know. that stuff from trader joes is ok, my pops buys it.

Lazymeatball
12-29-2004, 09:40 AM
PBR is hipster now? Damn, I just drink it because I can get a case of bottles for $14. I have to go beat up some hipster doofusses now.

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 10:27 AM
http://www.40ouncebeer.com/pics400/luckylagerbeerbottle.jpg

We used to get this stuff for under $5 a CASE! The bottling was so crappy that in every case there would be at least one bottle that only like half full. But the beer was o.k. and the puzzle bottle caps were fun when you were drunk.

Shajen
12-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I was wondering when someone would pull out the Lucky's...that's some truly awesome swill.

The question is though, do you mean best tasting for under $5, or best way to get smashed off beer for under $5? Cause if it's the latter, you simply cannot have this debate without including the Beast, Milwaukee's Best. Or, alternatively, if you are watching your figure, Beast Lite.

Yum. That's some craptastic beer.

Other nominations include Rolling Rock and Beer-brand beer*

*generic labels on the can just said BEER...only place I ever saw it was the PX on Camp Pendleton

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*generic labels on the can just said BEER...only place I ever saw it was the PX on Camp Pendleton

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the PX count? We used to get Guinness for $5 a 12-pack at the package store on Okinawa. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
12-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Pretty much the only beer in New York you can get for under 5 a six pack. (3 bucks at a good bodega) Is Natural Lite/Natural Ice. So by default that is my answer.

PBR is good, yes PBR is definite Hipster beer...but the whole hipster thing is getting toned down here in New York, so there is less of a stigma. It's pretty much only sold in Bars though from what I can see.

Oski
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Frank Booth drinks PBR (http://www.briansbelly.com/beerbelly/pabstblueribbon.shtml).

Shajen
12-29-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the PX count? We used to get Guinness for $5 a 12-pack at the package store on Okinawa. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oki eh? You were in the Corps?

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oki eh? You were in the Corps?

[/ QUOTE ]
1987-92. Spent 1991-92 on the Rock. Good times.

Shajen
12-29-2004, 11:33 AM
93-98 for me...never made it to Oki, did most of my time in SoCal and on a Westpac.

wayabvpar
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Life is too short to drink cheap beer, at least once you are out of college.

nolanfan34
12-29-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I rarely spend less than $6 on a six-pack, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any good deals out there. Apparently I'm not, and I also should be thankful that NW micro's are in the $6-$7 range.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I rarely spend less than $6 on a six-pack, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any good deals out there. Apparently I'm not, and I also should be thankful that NW micro's are in the $6-$7 range.

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't know there was any 6 pack worth getting under $6? Why would anyone buy sixers of crappy bear? Seems to me like you should only be buying 12 packs and above of crappy bear, anything less seems redundant(unless it is a 40 oz).

nolanfan34
12-29-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know there was any 6 pack worth getting under $6? Why would anyone buy sixers of crappy bear? Seems to me like you should only be buying 12 packs and above of crappy bear, anything less seems redundant(unless it is a 40 oz).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I was talking about, punk. That's it, it's on tomorrow night at the Muck now. Bring it on at the 3/6 tables. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

benfranklin
12-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Two good American lagers usually available for under $5 are Old Milwaukee and Leinenkugels. Either of these is much better than Bud/Millers/Coors. These and many other beers are available even cheaper at the case price. You can usually find these two for about $15/case.

While Sam Adams usually sells for $5.99 or more per six pack, I can almost always find it on sale someplace for $9.99 per 12 pack.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know there was any 6 pack worth getting under $6? Why would anyone buy sixers of crappy bear? Seems to me like you should only be buying 12 packs and above of crappy bear, anything less seems redundant(unless it is a 40 oz).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I was talking about, punk. That's it, it's on tomorrow night at the Muck now. Bring it on at the 3/6 tables. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LMAO, dude, I totally knew what you were talking about!! I never buy sixers anyways, I am 12 pack guy. BTW, have you tried the Alaskan Winter Ale? It has replaced Winterhook in my book, damn its good. Alaskan makes some really light refreshing tasting beers.

Aight, thats it, if you are next to me, I am blind straddling your blinds!!!!!

nolanfan34
12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm picturing it now, we're going to have 5 2+2ers at a 3/6 table all fighting over seat changes so we can be on the far left. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WEASEL45
12-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Miller Highlife

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two good American lagers usually available for under $5 are Old Milwaukee and Leinenkugels.

[/ QUOTE ]
Leinenkugels is o.k. Old Milwaukee is goat piss, It's in a class with Black Label or Stagg.

CCx
12-29-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone buy sixers of crappy bear?

...you should only be buying 12 packs and above of crappy bear....

[/ QUOTE ]

I try and distance myself as much as possible from crappy bears.

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone buy sixers of crappy bear?

...you should only be buying 12 packs and above of crappy bear....

[/ QUOTE ]

I try and distance myself as much as possible from crappy bears.

[/ QUOTE ]
If a bear craps in the woods and nobody smells it...nevermind...i forget where I was going with this... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

pshreck
12-29-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two good American lagers usually available for under $5 are Old Milwaukee and Leinenkugels. Either of these is much better than Bud/Millers/Coors. These and many other beers are available even cheaper at the case price. You can usually find these two for about $15/case.

While Sam Adams usually sells for $5.99 or more per six pack, I can almost always find it on sale someplace for $9.99 per 12 pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that extra bitter taste you get in your mouth when you drink Old Milwaukee? Most people don't like that. Your just the first person I have heard claim it was better than Bud, Miller, or Coors.

If there was a worst beer contest, Old Milwaukee would definetly get my vote.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm picturing it now, we're going to have 5 2+2ers at a 3/6 table all fighting over seat changes so we can be on the far left. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I hope so, I am going down there to get drunk and have fun, and what better way then at a table with a bunch of people you "know"? I wouldn't even mind dropping $50 or so on the table.

Sooga
12-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Hell yea, Lucky Lager! I'm not really a beer drinker myself, but that was a dorm staple when I was in college. Those puzzles really came in handy too... The 'rule' was that you had to drink until you couldn't figure any of em out.

benfranklin
12-29-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great American Beer Festival, 2003:

[ QUOTE ]
American-Style Lager
21 Entries
Gold: Old Milwaukee, Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX
Silver: Rainier, Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX
Bronze: Stegmaier Gold Medal, The Lion Brewery, Inc., Wilkes-Barre, PA

[/ QUOTE ]

Winners (http://www.realbeer.com/edu/gabf/gabf2003.php)

Old Milwaukee has a real beer taste that most inexperienced beer drinkers don't like, preferring the blander Bud/Millers/Coors. It consistently beats those beers in contests judged by professionals.

Rob Blackburn
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's in a class with Black Label or Stagg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to love Black Label, 12-pack for $2.99. I could get alot of this crap with my $30 a week allowance freshman year of undergrad.

wayabvpar
12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American-Style Lager
21 Entries

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't drink any of those on purpose; the only one I could choke down would be Rainier (only because I grew up on it).

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
American-Style Lager
21 Entries

[/ QUOTE ]

Old Milwaukee has a real beer taste that most inexperienced beer drinkers don't like, preferring the blander Bud/Millers/Coors. It consistently beats those beers in contests judged by professionals.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what they entered that won a prize, or in what category (unless it was the goat piss catrgory), but it wasn't the same thing they sell in cans at the grocery store. Comparing it to Bud/Coors/Miller doesn't really make your point since those are goat piss as well. As for inexperienced, I've been brewing my own beer for over 10 years. I know good beer. OM ain't it. I know goat piss when I taste it. OM is goat piss. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 05:44 PM
so you have draken goat piss before, that must be some sort of Marine thing. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pshreck
12-29-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
American-Style Lager
21 Entries

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, nice research in calling me out to people who do think it is a good beer. However, there are so many tons of 'beer contests' like this, that it is not too great to quote them as evidence... in the end it is all our taste opinion anyways. Same for cars... you can find any random car at the top of some contest.

This year, Red Dog got the gold in front of Old Mil.... another beer I think is awful.

As for my expertise in beer drinking, I prefer ales myself, and wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means on lagers. I do remember a handful of lagers that I hate, and Old Mil, tops the list, along with PBR and Bud.

If I had to nominate a good cheapo lager, I would go with Keystone.

I would take Smithwicks, Bass, and a ton of other ales any day over the best of lagers.

12ozLongneck
12-30-2004, 03:54 AM
Lone Star!

jakethebake
12-30-2004, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lone Star!

[/ QUOTE ]
I grew up in Texas, and have never even met anyone that liked it. For Texas beers Shiner Bock is the only way to go.

Benjamin
12-30-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what they entered that won a prize, or in what category (unless it was the goat piss catrgory), but it wasn't the same thing they sell in cans at the grocery store. Comparing it to Bud/Coors/Miller doesn't really make your point since those are goat piss as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that in general American style lagers, especially out of a can, are goat piss. But if it's out of a bottle, and it hasn't been baked in a hot warehouse for months, then Old Milwaulkee is good for a cheap beer. Stroh's is also pretty decent.

Both are cheaper and better than Bud/Miller/Icehouse. PBR in a bottle is also not bad, and is a good value.

As someone else noted, if 12 packs get consideration, then Sam Adams on sale for $9.99 is a good deal that I can find sometimes.

I almost always buy whatever microbrew is on sale for $5.99. Acme Pale Ale was the latest ... not great but pretty darn tasty.

B.

12ozLongneck
12-30-2004, 04:47 PM
I think Shiner costs more than $5 for a six pack. I got pretty tired of that stuff when I was in college and haven't bought any in awhile, so I could be wrong.

Graham
12-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I guzzle Sierra Nevada pale ale at $15 for a 12-case.

Save your money and drink the good stuff, I say.