PDA

View Full Version : external monitor to laptop

slickpoppa
12-29-2004, 01:11 AM
So if i wanted to attach an external monitor, such as the dell 2001fp, to a laptop, should I expect any problems with things like video card compatability, etc? Also, what happens to the laptop screen when an external monitor is attached to a laptop?

thanks

TobDog
12-29-2004, 01:38 AM
You may have to tell the computer to use the other monitor, I have a Dell, and I have to hit Fn, F8 twice, first time for external only, second time for dual monitor, you shouldnt have any problems, just plug it in and go. I am also assuming you have XP, I never tried it on older versions of windows.

slickpoppa
12-29-2004, 01:40 AM
thanks, sounds pretty painless

mistrpug
12-29-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, what happens to the laptop screen when an external monitor is attached to a laptop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a monitor attached to my laptop. When I right click on the desktop, there's an option for me to output the video to the notebook, the monitor, sanme picture on both, or use extended desktop.

MicroBob
12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
control panel --> display --> settings.

And from there activate and set up the 2nd monitor.

If you have Windows XP or NT or whatever (nothing really old in other words) then it the capability should already be on your computer.

alekhine8
12-31-2004, 10:51 PM
Do any laptops have the ability to use two external monitors and not use the standard screen on it? Are there any that could do this out of the box or with a port replicator, not involving the purchase of additional (expensive?) hardware like PCMCIA video cards and the like. Thanks.

partypokerer
12-31-2004, 11:07 PM
I got same question specifically for dell inspiron 9200.
Also what is the max res on external monitor?

TobDog
01-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I dont know about 2 external monitors, but usually the max resolution for a fairly new computer will be the max that the monitor will allow, when you buy it will have max resolutions, just get 1600x1200 and you can 4 table with no overlap.