PDA

View Full Version : Protecting my hand with AK- is it possible?

Wired Jokers
12-29-2004, 12:47 AM
This is not a bad beat story. Opinions, please, if there is any other way to play this hand. Villian in this hand is UTG, and is short stacked. No other reads on anyone.

Party 2/4.

Hero is in SB w/A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, button calls, Hero raises, BB calls, rest call.

Flop (12 SB): K /images/graemlins/club.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, all call. Would it be proper to go for a checkraise here? My thought is that since Hero raises preflop from SB, most everyone will check around. I don't want to give free cards here, but what really am I protecting with the bet? Even gutshots have odds to call. Can this hand be protected?

Turn (9 BB): 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, BB calls, UTG-Villian raises $7 (all-in). All fold to Hero, who calls. BB folds.

River: A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Can anyone help me with this hand?

Harv72b
12-29-2004, 12:55 AM
No other way to play this. Checking will probably enduce a weaker K (or even a moderately aggressive button) to bet the flop, but I'd rather bet out & hope that they raise me. Besides which, you flopped TPTK on a relatively uncoordinated board, so I'm not too worried about anyone calling yet.

The turn brings the other reason why you can't really play this hand differently. UTG is short-stacked and apparently has decided that this is his do or die hand. Nothing you could have done would have gotten him out of the hand, at least in my opinion.

Let me guess...UTG showed QJ?

Kenshin
12-29-2004, 12:59 AM
I recommend that you cease thinking about AK on a Kxx board as a hand that requires "protection". Rather you should focus on how to maximize your profit with your made hand. To this end, I would lead out and hope to be raised, thereby facilitating a reraise.

You have HUGE equity in this pot. Try to induce your opponents to lose as much money as possible.