PDA

View Full Version : calling down the turn check-raise...

stinkypete
12-29-2004, 12:36 AM
i unfortunately have no reads... no poker tracker here. i'm not sure i should be playing at all, but i have nothing better to do.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

is my calldown the right play here or is the pot way too small? i don't know how to play these. i'm in last position and he could easily put me on the bluff. he could have the king. he could have a ten with a weaker kicker. i dont know.

x2ski
12-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Bump... I don't know either man.

I had a similar thing happen to me today, but raised instead of check-raised:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

River: (5.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Harv72b
12-29-2004, 01:20 AM
I don't think he had the K. 22, maybe, but not the K.

If SB did have the K, I can see going for a c/r on the flop, but when it gets checked around I don't see why he wouldn't bet out the turn rather than risk missing another round of bets. I've seen people do that on Party before, but I still think it's more likely that the turn raise was either a steal attempt or another paired T (almost certainly with a weaker kicker).

The calldown is fine, and if it were me, I probably would've 3-bet.

chesspain
12-29-2004, 01:22 AM
You should have raised preflop.

GrunchCan
12-29-2004, 01:44 AM
With only the CO limping ahead of you, this is a clear PFR for value. Also, on the flop you may not have the best hand, but if you are beat the best hand is likely A-high. If you had raised preflop, a subsequent flop bet has a great deal more fold equity.

So basically, passive play lost you this pot.

stinkypete
12-29-2004, 02:11 AM
okay, raise preflop. understood.

having gotten to the turn, would you fold or call down?

bernie
12-29-2004, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i unfortunately have no reads... no poker tracker here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may rely on PT too much if you've played 2+ orbits and still have no read, not even of the general table texture. Just a thought.

Anyways, given your above statement, you call, obviously. How can you fold? You don't know the player.

b

TripleH68
12-29-2004, 05:45 AM
You are getting 3:1 on a call down. SB could easily be slowplaying a K. In such a small pot you are not giving up much by folding or by mulling over your decision.

stinkypete
12-29-2004, 05:48 AM
i probably do rely on PT too much. i think i make calldowns because of PT stats a little too often.

general table texture was pretty much typical 3/6. nothing noticeable out of the ordinary.

GrunchCan
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
The question is somewhat irrelevant, since had you played the earlier streets aggressivly, everything would be different. As it is, the question of weather to call or fold becomes simply an excercise in estimating equity. The bet is 1 to you in a 5 bet pot. The raiser is diagraming trips or a TP that dominates you. Does he have this hand more often than 5 times in 6?

JT is a very distinct possible holding for your opponent. I'd say that he has JT probably more that one time in 6, so this dictates a call. In fact, depending on my read of the opponent - that is, depending on weather he is very likely to wait for the turn to raise flops trips - I might reraise. If you have the best hand, your opponents are drawing to 3 or 5 outs.

chio
12-29-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 3:1 on a call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's precisely the reason why i WOULD call down. other reasons:

(1) it's HU
(2) you have the 2nd best ten
(3) it's unlikely he would check a K twice
(4) he knows you are in perfect position to bluff bet
(5) not that many river cards can come to beat you if he is semibluffing