PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles Volume One, by Bob Dylan

Zeno
12-29-2004, 12:10 AM
An old friend sent me this book for Christmas. I have mixed feelings about the book but overall it is worth getting and reading for anyone interested in Dylan, folk music, development of music concepts, the music scene, or music in general. Portions of the book are surprising and very well written. His style is unique in some respects, like his songs are, but it sometimes does wear thin. For example, a portion in the middle of the book is very detailed about some sessions in New Orleans etc that, for me, bogged down into a foggy cliché. The book is an enlightening read however, and I would recommend it to everyone.

An interesting anecdote from the book is about his receiving an Honorary Degree from Princeton. He makes some marvelous comments on this. He attended the ceremony with David Crosby who made his own quip about the whole thing when they finally left. Crosby summed it all up by saying: ‘ Bunch of dickheads on auto-stroke’. Sounds like a good title for a rock-a-billy song.

On another note here are some CD recommendations to go with my cryptic review:

‘The Blues From the Texas Byways to the Louisiana Bayou’, put out by American Roots Songbook. It features many Lightin’ Hopkins tunes along with Leadbelly, Charles Brown, Dr. John, and a great instrumental rock tune by Pee Wee Crayon called ‘Texas Hop’. It is a very good album and I got it for under $12.

Also check out ‘American Roots Music’ a single CD that is a compellation of ‘the best of’ a 4- CD box set about American music, that was put out in conjunction with a PBS special. Anyway, this is a great CD with many types of music styles presented, from Bluegrass to County Swing to Gospel, Cajun, Zydeco and so on.

The last one is Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around. Put out in 2002. Simply put – get it. It is well worth it: Unexpected and very well done.

All are available I’m sure from Amazon or a local record store. Do your own searching; I haven’t the time to do the footwork for you.

-Zeno

ilya
12-29-2004, 02:23 AM
This guy Christopher Ricks came out with a big book on Dylan this year called "Dylan's Visions of Sin." Ultra hardcore lit crit from an English prof who first became famous (quote unquote) by writing about canonical authors like Milton and Beckett; you'd probably either hate it or love it depending on how you feel about Close Reading. But I've been to this guy's house and it's insane. He has 1700 Dylan CDs.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Hey Zeno -

Have you heard, or do you own, "Unearthed," the Cash boxed set from American recordings? Sort of a die-hard item but I thought it was awesome.

NT

Zeno
12-29-2004, 04:29 AM
I do not own 'unearthed'. I checked it out at Amazon.com and it certaintly seems like worth getting. By the way, Johnny Cash is also mentioned in Dylan's book. He obviously respects his work and music.

-Zeno

David Steele
12-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Cash was on Nashville Skyline so I guess so.

I read the book and found it interesting. His folk music influence details, (Woody, Dave Van Ronk etc ) were quite unique; also the way this autobio gives no actual biography details is kind of cool.

I don't believe all the stuff he claims in the book, no way that religious nonsense phase was a ruse to lose his
political cause followers.

D.

Zeno
12-30-2004, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe all the stuff he claims in the book, no way that religious nonsense phase was a ruse to lose his
political cause followers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. This is part of the reason why I stated that I had 'mixed feelings' about the book. Hard to sort out details and truths from semi-fiction, how serious he meant to be, or just plan sardonic humor, cryptic allusions, or other odd side notes etc.

I have enjoyed Dylan's music but never followed his career that closely or purchased that many of his albums. Two of his recent ones however I did get and really enjoyed – ‘Time Out of Mind’ and ‘Love and Theft’.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
12-30-2004, 01:08 PM
the 4 pack of american roots is great. if you like that stuff. all of zimmermans stuff is fantastic if you take the time to listen to each song a few times closely if you can understand him. there is hope for you zeno after all. even if you need to catch up to know what i do.

Zeno
12-30-2004, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is hope for you zeno after all. even if you need to catch up to know what i do.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope is what keeps me going. Thanks.

-Zeno