PDA

View Full Version : BOYCOTT!

10-08-2001, 01:59 PM
Now since we all know the games are getting tighter at Paradise, due to the reduction of new fishy players, the expected earnings are going to decline. This means the rakes are becoming an ever increasing price to pay for this smaller action. I say we boycott Paradise, and send them emails of how we feel. I think it could be effective if large numbers of us even just reduce our play time, rather than flat out boycott. I also think this message may be deleted!

Paradise is pulling - what? - $400,000 a day in rake? They can stand a little price reduction.

N

10-08-2001, 02:16 PM
Boycott and play where?I play paradise everyday and other sites (planet and highlands)but everyone should admit -paradise has the best and fastest software ,they have reasonably fast payouts,they have good customer service and most of all they have more players than all other sites combined.I think if any sites should be reducing rake it should be paradises' competition.

10-08-2001, 02:29 PM
i think this is a good one. let's all go to ultimatebet or something /images/smile.gif

10-08-2001, 02:56 PM
Play where, who cares? Play with the kids. Do that home remodel job you've been putting off. Read a book. We need to let Paradise know they charge too friggin much. I only mention Paradise because they ARE the only place to play. Get them to lower their rake and everyone else has to follow don't they?

10-08-2001, 03:10 PM
If you're not happy playing at a site you shouldn't play there. The same is true with a brick and mortor poker room. I quit playing at The Las Vegas Hilton poker room many years ago because it was so poorly run and us players were treated so badly. The same applied to the old Caesars Palace poker room. By the way, given the number of players that Paradise has, I suspect that the vast majority of participants won't agree with you.

10-08-2001, 03:35 PM
In the last 3 years Paradise has taken half a BILLION out of the poker community. How long can this possibly last? Is there really an endless list of fish willing to play over the internet. Do you guys think that paradise has raked about what $500,000,000, the very good players have made maybe $5,000,000, and the poker community is down $505,000,000. This can not last, the poker community is just mot that large. What do you guys think?

10-08-2001, 04:33 PM
That is an excellent theory, sceptic.

10-08-2001, 05:20 PM
Who says I'm not happy? But I'd be happier playing for $2 a pot rather than $3. And happier still paying $1. I'm going to take the leap in faith and say that the majority of players would

agree to pay less rake.

10-08-2001, 06:33 PM
Of course players would be happy with smaller rakes, and poker rooms have been ruining their business for years by charging to much. I remember hearing about $6 per pot rakes when Mississippi legalized gambling. I wonder how many of those rooms are still open.

10-08-2001, 07:32 PM
The rake should correlate with how good a game is.

In a book by Jesse May he talks about a $10.00 rake

in South America. But the game was so good it didn't matter

even though I think they were only playing $10.00-$20.00

Paradise & other online sites have a rake structure

similiar to Vegas.

The problem is, the lower limit games are much tougher

than the lower limit Vegas games (Please don't try to

dispute this).

This creates a powerful trick-down effect, which in turn

makes it very difficult for new players to build up.

Thus the higher limit games become dead too.

Not to mention there is no justification for charging an

equal rake when their overhead is much lower.

The lower limit games also become tougher each month that

goes by. This has a lot of consequences that effect

the integrity of online poker..Players start to feel cheated,

etc..The word of mouth on Internet poker is ugly.

If Paradise did lower their rake to $2.00 max, I bet

the avg. # of players would nearly double for all the reasons

I mentioned above.

But within the next 2 years it will happen. A new site is

bound to come along and give players what they TRULY WANT. It will be the greatest marketing strategy yet..

Better than any jackpot,highhand giveaway,party poker million,

b.s. $100,000 give away (half to charity;made their money back with increased activity: thats why it was bs)

And whoever said that lowering the rake will hurt players because all the tight players will flock to that site,

obviously doesnt have enough experience playing online.

10-08-2001, 09:31 PM
They've only dealt a little over 100M hands total. Figure maybe a buck a hand, possibly less. Still, it's a lot of money. I wonder how it compares to Commerce?

10-08-2001, 09:44 PM
So few people will stand up to or fight any oppressive regime it should scare you...but it doesn't 'cause you're sheeple too. Poker players are possibly more spineless than average since there is a large cohort of degenerate gamblers unwilling to risk losing their drug of choice.

I was in a game where the floor man rules "A" on one hand and not 10 minutes later ruled "Not A" in exactly the same situation. I was the only player that decided I couldn't play in any joint where the rules were unknown. I cashed out right away and haven't been back. The other sheeple played on.

10-08-2001, 09:53 PM
Anyone here remember PokerSpot? I see a few hands. They reached a point where it was more financially correct for them to pocket everyone's bankroll and collect zero rake instead. They later decided to return a small portion of the bankrolls in an attempt to generate rake. This was a mistake as they generated almost nothing and would have been better off keeping all the loot.

There is a point where any sensible offshore quasi-criminal enterprise would look at the rake and look at the total bankrolls on deposit and choose the later. Paradise in not immune.

10-09-2001, 08:30 AM
Also, a lot of those hands were dealt at the playmoney tables

10-09-2001, 09:26 AM
first of all, there's only ONE limit you can play there if you want to play limit hold'em: $8/$16. the rake is 5% with a $12 cap !!!

when does a wealthy american come over and setup cardrooms like those in america ???

me and 10,000 other dutch guys are waiting...

10-11-2001, 01:51 AM
I'd like to see another company come forward and give us some software that even comes close to Paradise (I haven't seen it yet). Then I'd like to see them offer all the same quality customer service at a reduced rake (I haven't tried other sites long enough to notice). They could certainly still make a killing, and I'd be the first to switch. Maybe somebody would like to help me start a new company? Actually, I'm serious about that last sentence in case you weren't sure. Just a thought.

-MD

10-11-2001, 04:00 AM
If you live in the United States, that's not possible... Otherwise I'd love to sign up, as I'm sure many other people would love to!

- Tony

P.S. There's a public company that markets poker software, poker.com. Traded as an OTC BB stock.

10-12-2001, 02:18 PM
Ive basically boycotted Paradise. I used to play shorthanded, and was excited about the 5 hadned tables but the rake for them is just too high, so until they actually address my emails about lowering the rake in those games, Im not planning to play there again. I am playing cccpoker and pokerstars now anyway.

10-16-2001, 01:32 PM
Harrah's in New Orleans is still dropping $5 per pot ($4 rake plus $1 jackpot).