PDA

View Full Version : Best movie that 90% of 2+2ers has not seen.

partygirluk
12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Two nominations

i) Spirited Away
ii) Internal Affairs

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
dumb and dumber.
Star Wars.

EliteNinja
12-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I liked Spirited Away as well.

How about:
1. God of Gamblers (Chow Yun Fat in Chinese)
2. God of Gamblers 3 (Stephen Chow in Chinese)

johnnycakes
12-28-2004, 11:40 PM
All the Real Girls

Men the Master
12-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Pootie Tang

Sooga
12-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Bus 174
Twilight Samurai
Fresh
Roger Dodger
Nine Queens
The Station Agent
Touching the Void

It really makes me sick to my stomach all the people that haven't seen these movies (and I will GUARANTEE you will like them), and instead have seen steaming piles of ca ca like Troy or Alexander or Napoleon Dynamite instead.

Malone Brown
12-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Bamboozled

partygirluk
12-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Touching the Void is sensationally good.

private joker
12-29-2004, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two nominations

i) Spirited Away
ii) Internal Affairs

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you mean INFERNAL AFFAIRS with Andy Lau and Tony Leung. If so, that movie kicks arse. If you are talking about the 15 year-old Andy Garcia movie by Mike Figgis called INTERNAL AFFAIRS, then that's pretty lame. \

Also, SPIRITED AWAY is genius.

My noms:

i) House of Flying Daggers
ii) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

private joker
12-29-2004, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bamboozled

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is brilliant too. So is 25th Hour.

Michael Davis
12-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Alright Sooga all of your movies just went to the top of my Netflix request list.

-Michael

bdk3clash
12-29-2004, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pootie Tang

[/ QUOTE ]
Sa da tay!

Sooga
12-29-2004, 12:34 AM
You will not be disappointed. If you are, then I will refrain from ever recommending anything to anyone ever again.

Also, I'd appreciate it if you sent me a PM or something and tell me what you thought. Some movies I agree are hit or miss , so I didn't recommend those, but these movies I've recommended to many of my friends, and not one has said they didn't like them.

Michael Davis
12-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Well, I like really strange movies, but I am a horrible movie person in general, so my opinion doesn't count. I'll give it to you if you want it, but keep in mind that I liked Closer.

-Michael

GuyOnTilt
12-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Bus 174 was a sweet documentary. Very good. I didn't find Touching the Void very good at all actually, but that's probably 'cause I read the book. : /

GoT

GuyOnTilt
12-29-2004, 12:41 AM
I would think more than 10% of 2+2'ers have seen Spirited Away. Maybe not. It's definitely my favorite animated film though.

GoT

Sooga
12-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Yeah, my friend is an avid rock climber and he said the book is MUCH better than the movie... but I suppose that goes for most movies based on books. As simply a movie though (having not read the book), I loved it.

Sooga
12-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Hmm, haven't seen 'Closer'.... that also seems to be a 'hit or miss' type of movie, based on some of the comments about it on a thread a few days ago... I may check it out.

cockandbull
12-29-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Twilight Samurai, Nine Queens, Touching the Void

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all worth a watch.

private joker
12-29-2004, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bus 174
Twilight Samurai
Fresh
Roger Dodger
Nine Queens
The Station Agent
Touching the Void

It really makes me sick to my stomach all the people that haven't seen these movies (and I will GUARANTEE you will like them), and instead have seen steaming piles of ca ca like Troy or Alexander or Napoleon Dynamite instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I thought Bus 174 was an impotent piece of deck-stacked propaganda that made me feel ashamed to be a liberal. Fresh is a masterpiece. Roger Dodger has great dialogue and an awesome Campbell Scott performance, but the characterization is unfair, unsubtle, and obvious, plus the photography blows. Nine Queens is predictable sub-Mamet con-man moviemaking. Station Agent is charming, but a bit too in love with its indie aesthetic (the beef jerky on the tracks scene? didn't need it), yet still a good watch.

And Troy is a misunderstood and pretty intelligent little movie.

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Wouldn't say this is the best, but for some reason this movie popped into my head, Network.

Turning Stone Pro
12-29-2004, 01:06 AM
You are even more retarded than I thought.

TSP

Alobar
12-29-2004, 01:28 AM
nikki loves rocco

nolanfan34
12-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Given the age of most people on here, you could easily add films like North By Northwest and 12 Angry Men I'd bet.

Sooga, I'm going to check out some of those picks as well. Michael and I will be fighting for them on Netflix.

Michael Davis
12-29-2004, 01:48 AM
"Michael and I will be fighting for them on Netflix."

Not if you get them quickly. I've had Ran, Persona, and On the Waterfront for a month now. I'm definitely one of Netflix's profit monkeys.

-Michael

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 01:48 AM
12 Angry Men
You know they remade this movie? While it wasn't horrible, it definitely sucked in comparison to the original.

fsuplayer
12-29-2004, 01:59 AM
On the Waterfront

Have you watched it yet?

i had to watch it for a film class and enjoyed it very much.

brando is freakin awesome in this and everything else i have seen him in.

Michael Davis
12-29-2004, 02:05 AM
I have not watched it yet. I will do so ASAP (a month or so...).

-Michael

Sooga
12-29-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I thought Bus 174 was an impotent piece of deck-stacked propaganda that made me feel ashamed to be a liberal. Fresh is a masterpiece. Roger Dodger has great dialogue and an awesome Campbell Scott performance, but the characterization is unfair, unsubtle, and obvious, plus the photography blows. Nine Queens is predictable sub-Mamet con-man moviemaking. Station Agent is charming, but a bit too in love with its indie aesthetic (the beef jerky on the tracks scene? didn't need it), yet still a good watch.

And Troy is a misunderstood and pretty intelligent little movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Propaganda? A movie like Fahrenheit 9/11 is propaganda. A movie trying to delve deeper into the development of a seemingly senseless event like a bus hijacking is a documentary. There was no 'tilt' to the movie. You didn't have to guess what the bus hostages were thinking, they were interviewed! It was a truly fascinating study into one of a great many people that had simply fallen through the cracks.

Nine Queens was hardly predictable. There were so many little twists in the movie that I doubt that you saw all of that coming. The fact that this year's 'Criminal' is basically an English-language copy of that movie speaks volumes. You know, that whole 'imitation is the greatest form of flattery' thing.

As for 'Roger Dodger', I agree it's not an epic piece of filmmaking or anything, but it was immensely entertaining, and as you said, the dialogue was fantastic.

Michael Davis
12-29-2004, 02:22 AM
Perhaps you missed the thread title. These are movies that 2+2ers have NOT seen.

-Michael

private joker
12-29-2004, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Propaganda? A movie like Fahrenheit 9/11 is propaganda. A movie trying to delve deeper into the development of a seemingly senseless event like a bus hijacking is a documentary. There was no 'tilt' to the movie. You didn't have to guess what the bus hostages were thinking, they were interviewed! It was a truly fascinating study into one of a great many people that had simply fallen through the cracks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This shows how easily the film's admirers get manipulated by the shoddy filmmaking. "City of God" is so much better; even as a fictional film merely based on real life events, it does a better job of exploring impverished youth in Brazil. Here's the review I published at the time:

Bus 174 makes me feel ashamed to be a liberal. If my ideology is going to compared with the hypocritical, irresponsible ramblings of Jose Padilha, maybe I should just ignore politics altogether. Padilha has made a documentary about the 5-hour standoff between police, SWAT, and a gunman holding several bus passengers hostage in downtown Rio on July 12, 2000. In his attempt to fashion some sort of anti-authoritarian stance against the system, Padilha ends up unwittingly endorsing much of what he ostensibly condemns.

Much of the film is spent laboring over the psychological profile of Sandro, the gunman. When we see him on the bus (thanks to news camera footage shot by photographers who were able to get right up to the action due to ignorant police more concerned with operations than isolating and containing the area), Sandro is a gun-wielding psychopath, presumably hopped up on cocaine, screaming murder threats, and yanking innocent women around by the hair. The film then systematically tries to place blame on everything except Sandro for what’s going on: the unjust prison system (sure, jails are bad in Brazil, but showing a bunch of guys whining about how they are unfairly accused doesn’t provide ample evidence as to why Sandro is a victim of the system – he was justly sent to prison, and the prison system can is too full of worms to pull out this argument and treat it half-assed), the dangerous ghettos, and seeing his mother murdered when he was a kid.

We sympathize with Sandro as far as we sympathize with any underprivileged youth who has had to rely on crime to survive, but his actions on the bus go beyond any means by which we can excuse what he does (plenty of ghetto kids seem to get by without killing hostages in a police standoff). And thanks to Padilha, we know far more about his condition than the police, yet Padilha is still criticizing the police more than Sandro for the tragic consequences of the stand-off. Add to this the shoddy, half-assed interview footage: only one subject is interesting (the female hostage survivor), the rest of whom are either full of sh!t, like the moronic sociologist (“You see, Sandro… was a star.. in his own narrative!”), or highly biased and factually wrong (his aunt and adoptive mother, who make claims about Sandro that are never supported or directly criticized by the film). I wouldn’t mind inaccurate, highly questionable interview subjects in a documentary (witness how brilliantly Andrew Jarecki uses such folks in his far more skillful Capturing the Friedmans), but Padilha would have to somehow remark upon these subjects’ unreliability. But there’s nothing in his Dateline NBC-style footage that suggests he wants to make fun of the ridiculous nonsense being fed to us.

Then there’s the hijacking itself, and while the footage is inherently interesting (mostly to those of us who don’t know what happened on that day, so there’s suspense in our lack of information – but then again, any L.A. native has had just as many thrills watching live police pursuits on television), nothing Padilha does with it reconciles with his goals as a propagandist: he wants us to become enraged at The Man for providing poorly trained cops who went on to murder a helpless suspect in custody, but instead plays on the bloodlust of the viewers who want to see every conceivable angle of a young girl getting her head blown off. In slow-motion. Multiple times. Padilha further seems to condemn the mob mentality of the crowd for seeking immediate vengeance upon the helpless Sandro, yet hypocritically wants to stir all of us in the theater into a mob-like rage against the Rio cops. He even ends the film with a title card full of outrage, spitting out his disgust that the cops responsible for killing Sandro are still on the force (despite the fact that it’s not necessarily self-evident that the cops deserved to be fired; they probably did, but we simply don’t know enough to be as sure as Padilha thinks he is). The only thing I was outraged about, leaving the theater, was that a director as careless, clumsily incendiary, and scatter-brained as Jose Padilha is still working in the film business. As a skeptical common-man leftist, I’ll take Michael Moore’s brain over Padilha’s any day of the week.

[ QUOTE ]
Nine Queens was hardly predictable. There were so many little twists in the movie that I doubt that you saw all of that coming. The fact that this year's 'Criminal' is basically an English-language copy of that movie speaks volumes. You know, that whole 'imitation is the greatest form of flattery' thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I found it very easy to see the twists coming. There were only two plausible scenarios -- either the mentor was conning the protege, or vice versa. One is really obvious, so I went with the other one. Duh. And also, plenty of bad movies are remade. That a film is remade does not automatically annoint greatness upon the original.

Duke
12-29-2004, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. God of Gamblers (Chow Yun Fat in Chinese)

[/ QUOTE ]

jang wah dai lake joe siu siu. (when he breaks the 6th die)

Great movie if you like pretty goofy HK films. Andy Lao is in it too, so there's another selling point for chicks that lke HK movies.

~D

River2Pair
12-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Coffee and Cigarettes.

Ironically, this would also be my answer for the what did you have for lunch thread.

Sooga
12-29-2004, 02:48 AM
I hope you're not saying the fact he DID grow up in these ghettos, that he DID go to these horrible prisons, and that he DID see his mother shot as child had little to do with what happened on the bus. Perhaps that prison scene had some political spin to it, but the fact is, Padilha dug up all that information, information no one knew about immediately following the hijacking.

Padilha was merely trying to come up with an explanation as to how someone would get onto a bus in the middle of a crowded street and try to hijack it. You don't have to be 'manipulated' to see that. Yea, maybe he was pointing fingers at certain places, but that's his job as a filmmaker is to try to show you his view of things and try to convince you. That's what Michael Moore does in his movies. You can't call a picture 'propaganda' because it has the courage to have an opinion. You pigeonhole his movie by criticizing the fact that he did not go into detail enough in certain parts. What do you expect? A 5 hour movie? 10 hours? How many prisons do you want him to go into and examine before you're satisfied?

If I was manipulated, then I guess so were the other 168 reviewers on rottentomatoes.com who gave it a positive review (ranking it as the 2nd 'best' rated movie on the site). It is brilliant filmmaking, but I suppose people will always find reasons to be cynical.

partygirluk
12-29-2004, 03:01 AM
12 angry men is a fantastic example of taut story telling.

"A dozen middle aged unsexy men sit in a room talking for two hours"

does not sound particularly exciting, but great dialogue, pacing and acting make it a classic. It is a shame that it is seen necessary to remake such A grade films.

Internal Affairs is one of very very very few films I have seen that were flawless. Great acting by everyone, not a dull moment, extremely clever, gripping, perfectly paced. Unfortunately as it is a Hong Kong film, it will never be mainstream, and thus Hollywood is remaking it. Even though Scorcese is directing, it will be inferior to the original.

TimTimSalabim
12-29-2004, 03:11 AM
Living in Oblivion

private joker
12-29-2004, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If I was manipulated, then I guess so were the other 168 reviewers on rottentomatoes.com who gave it a positive review (ranking it as the 2nd 'best' rated movie on the site). It is brilliant filmmaking, but I suppose people will always find reasons to be cynical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, if the Rotten Tomatoes people say it's good, then it must be true. (Hint: I'm one of them). It's nice to know, though, that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is merely a cynic. And wrong. Sorry for trying to debate it. You are clearly correct.

River2Pair
12-29-2004, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
12 angry men is a fantastic example of taut story telling.

"A dozen middle aged unsexy men sit in a room talking for two hours"

does not sound particularly exciting, but great dialogue, pacing and acting make it a classic. It is a shame that it is seen necessary to remake such A grade films.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make a similar argument for The Big Kahuna with Kevin Spacey, Danny DeVito, and Peter Faccinelli. I guess women might find him sexy, though. I thought he was pretty much a giant douche on Celebrity Poker Showdown though.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/808/808_img_11.jpg

http://www.softlord.com/celebs/boys/images/peterf.jpg

hmm...

Sooga
12-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Sigh, so childish.... but I'll respond anyway.

Rottentomatoes giving an overall positive review on a movie is one thing. To be 'fresh', as you know, only takes 60% of reviews being positive. So there are a lot of differences in opinion possible for a movie to still be 'fresh'. To have 68 out of 68 (my numbers were wrong) reviews be positive for a movie is another thing completely.

And here's what I don't understand. You say you're one of the rottentomatoes reviewers for the movie, which must then mean you gave it a positive review. Yet you also say this movie makes you ashamed to be a liberal. So which is it? Do you just enjoy making arguments for argument's sake? I know some people like to appear 'cool' or 'smart' by consistently going against popular opinion, and if you're one of them, that would at least explain a lot. Not trying to stir up anything here, but this situation does not make a lot of sense.

private joker
12-29-2004, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh, so childish.... but I'll respond anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to have a discussion about the film, and your attitude was that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong because the film is somehow objectively brilliant. I find that myopia childish.

[ QUOTE ]
And here's what I don't understand. You say you're one of the rottentomatoes reviewers for the movie, which must then mean you gave it a positive review. Yet you also say this movie makes you ashamed to be a liberal. So which is it? Do you just enjoy making arguments for argument's sake? I know some people like to appear 'cool' or 'smart' by consistently going against popular opinion, and if you're one of them, that would at least explain a lot. Not trying to stir up anything here, but this situation does not make a lot of sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on RT but not for that film. I got on later. You read my review. It's clearly negative. I'm not a contrarian for contrarianism's sake. I stand by my opinions and enjoy pursuing high-minded debate with those who disagree. Unlike some people...

Sooga
12-29-2004, 04:20 AM
You say you enjoy high-minded debate, yet you never answered any of my questions...

I don't remember ever saying anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I said the movie was brilliant filmmaking, and I stated my reasons. That was my OPINION. _I_ thought it was brilliant filmmaking. Sixty-eight reviewers on rottentomatoes thought it was good. No, this does not make a film 'objectively brilliant', but chances are it's a pretty good film.

Given the material he had to work with, I think Padilha produced a very convincing and thought-provoking film. I don't judge a movie based on 'Do I agree with what the filmmaker is saying?' I judge it based on 'Does the filmmaker do what he set out to do? Does the film accomplish its goals?' Yes, I would say it does. Thus, the film is good. Oh, btw that is my OPINION. The movie is not objectively good. In my OPINION it is good.

IggyWH
12-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Well, they hasn't been said so I'll throw it out there :

1)Usual Suspects
2)Boondock Saints

Both are "cult classics" though so many might have seen these movies to see what all the underground hype is about.

GuyOnTilt
12-29-2004, 04:28 AM
1)Usual Suspects
2)Boondock Saints

Boo and Booer.

PS. Both of these are mainstream films.

GoT

plaster8
12-29-2004, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't say this is the best, but for some reason this movie popped into my head, Network.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!

plaster8
12-29-2004, 05:25 AM
"American Movie"

It's a documentary about a guy who lives in Milwaukee with his parents (he's in his 30s), and his dream is to make a movie. Hard to explain, but the film, like the guy, is quite a piece of work. Highly recommended. (And if you rent the DVD, the short movie the guy ends up making is on there, too.)

zephed56
12-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Psycho Beach Party.

And I'll second Jenna loves Rocco. But I think we've all seen that...

Michael Davis
12-29-2004, 07:34 AM
The suggestion was Nikki Loves Rocco, which I've neither seen nor heard of, but I totally disagree with your porn suggestion. Jenna Loves Rocco was complete garbage.

-Michael

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two nominations

i) Spirited Away
ii) Internal Affairs

[/ QUOTE ]

"Princess Mononoke" owns spirited away.

"How to Get Ahead in Advertising."

johnnycakes
12-29-2004, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"American Movie"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious. Tragic. Inspirational. Brilliant.

Toro
12-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Lonestar: Very good movie that didn't get to all the big commercial movie houses so I doubt that many 2+2ers have seen it.

IndieMatty
12-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Amazing how many mainstream movies are in here, I'll give it a shot.

1. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - A Wilco Documentary
2. The Two Ninas -(cheesy chick flick with Ron Livingston that is thoroughly enjoyable)

Best Movie you must see that I hope most of the people on here have seen is Glengarry Glen Ross.

sfer
12-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Thirteen Conversations About One Thing

I guarantee 99% of 2+2ers have neither seen nor heard of it.

elwoodblues
12-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Pretty much anything by John Sayles is good. I really liked Limbo quite a bit as well.

SparkyDog
12-29-2004, 12:42 PM
The War Zone. I'm pretty sure most people haven't seen it...

Toro
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best Movie you must see that I hope most of the people on here have seen is Glengarry Glen Ross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved the scene where the Alec Baldwin character was giving the troops the "pep talk".

IndieMatty
12-29-2004, 12:59 PM
It's easily one of the best scenes in Movie History. Ben Affleck did an homage to it in Boiler Room.

I got hooked on GGGR when we had to watch it in Business Ethics. All of David Mamet's [censored] is great.

SossMan
12-29-2004, 01:37 PM
i will echo Glen Gary Glen Ross and 12 angry men. Both are sooooooo good. both in my top 10

SossMan
12-29-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
12 Angry Men
You know they remade this movie? While it wasn't horrible, it definitely sucked in comparison to the original.

[/ QUOTE ]

two words: Tony Danza

theghost
12-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Primer is a good indie flick that is making the arthouse circuit right now. About a couple of electrical engineers who invent stuff in their garage after work - they stumble on some crazy sh!t.
Only 80 minutes, cheap (decent) production, a great storyline. Keeps you nervous while you watch it. Got some props at Sundance.

IggyWH
12-29-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1)Usual Suspects
2)Boondock Saints

Boo and Booer.

PS. Both of these are mainstream films.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I expected something from you... sure you're still on tilt from Zaga beating your squad.

FYI :

Usual Suspects made 23 million at the box office. Not exactly a blockbuster film.

Bookdock Saints pulled in a KILLER 30 thousand at the box office.

Like I said though, both became cult classics pretty quickly so people have seen them over the years. Most people I meet still have yet to see Usual Suspects and I very rarely meet anyone that has seen Boondock Saints.

IndieMatty
12-29-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people I meet still have yet to see Usual Suspects

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't meet many people who have cable access huh?

West
12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Fear of a Black Hat

IggyWH
12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most people I meet still have yet to see Usual Suspects

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't meet many people who have cable access huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a college student... we're too busy going to class, getting drunk and screwing to watch movies... and we're too poor to afford cable.

CMP
12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
There seem to be some documentary and Jim Jarmusch fans here, so I nominate:

1. Hands on a Hard Body (way less dirty than the title suggests)
2. Down By Law

CMP

IndieMatty
12-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Awesome answer.

VBM
12-29-2004, 03:35 PM
1. To Live
2. Monsoon Wedding

Zoltri
12-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Has anyone seen Percy's Progress?

A man who had an unusual transplant returns from a cruise to find he is the only male in the world who is not impotent.

Hilarious. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tenacious A
12-29-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"American Movie"

[/ QUOTE ]

Great film.

web page (http://www.americanmovie.com/)

I'll nominate "Coven" and "Ghost Dad".

SossMan
12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
because of the nature of this forum, maybe many have seen it, but "let it ride" was a classic.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Full time killer.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Oh yeah and slap shot!! that movie pwns!

IndieMatty
12-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Not the Heat with Al Pacino and Bobby D....the Heat with Burt Reynolds! Killer.

David04
12-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Rounders.

Sooga
12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Saw that, and loved it.... but I figured it'd be a little too 'hit or miss' for a lot of people so I was kinda hesitant about recommending it. Actually, now that I think about it, it really was a good movie. I think most people would like it, after all.

BottlesOf
12-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Seen it. The blackjack scene r00lz.

FeliciaLee
12-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Wow, most of these movies I've never even heard of, so you guys are doing something right!

Great thread.

Since I'm not much of a movie watcher anymore (theater or home), I have to go way, way back to think of some awesome movies that weren't popular. Cut me some slack, since I've posted my disclaimer, lol.

1) Testament --probably one of my all-time favorite movies.
2) Lady Jane
3) Night Breed --the concept/book more than the movie itself

Can we go back to the '80's? I'm home sick. LOL.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Monsoon Wedding

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I don't think you could have suggested a worse movie. Rather than watch this movie again, I'd watch "3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain" 15 times in a row.

partygirluk
12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
One Day in September. Slow start, but fantastic aftwerwards.

BradleyT
12-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Happiness
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Kids (semi-popular)

BradleyT
12-29-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"American Movie"

It's a documentary about a guy who lives in Milwaukee with his parents (he's in his 30s), and his dream is to make a movie. Hard to explain, but the film, like the guy, is quite a piece of work. Highly recommended. (And if you rent the DVD, the short movie the guy ends up making is on there, too.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I work across the hallway from the guy who directed that film (Chris Smith). Just watched it two weeks ago!

He also made The Yes Men which is supposed to be decent but I haven't seen it yet.

A_C_Slater
12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Max released in 2002.

A movie about Adolf Hitler during his days as a painter. John Cusack plays Hitler's art dealer and Hitler is played by Noah Taylor who IMO gives the most powerful performance in the history of cinema.

River2Pair
12-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Stone Cold

12ozLongneck
12-30-2004, 03:52 AM
Detour

codewarrior
12-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Twice Upon A Time <- best animated film ever.

Pi.

zephed56
01-03-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The suggestion was Nikki Loves Rocco, which I've neither seen nor heard of, but I totally disagree with your porn suggestion. Jenna Loves Rocco was complete garbage.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
I stand corrected!

grandgnu
01-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Fear of a Black Hat, I think made in 1994. Parodies a lot of the early 90's rap scene. It's adolescent humor at times, but I still love it.

Kinda like the movie CB4 in a lot of ways.

srvollmer
01-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Hurlyburly.

wacki
01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
The Day of the Jackal (1973)
The Great Escape
Tora Tora Tora
A Bridge Too Far

theBruiser500
01-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Spirited Away, Glen Gary Glen Ross, some foreign movies that you guys probably haven't seen, some of my favorites: Cinemo Paridoso, Jean de le Florete, My Life as a Dog (help with spellling on first two?). Check out Roger Eberts top ten lists for the last 30 years, this has given me some great movies.

SwordFish
01-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Wages of Fear

SF

goofball
01-05-2005, 06:30 AM
the odd couple

deacsoft
01-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Entropy (but it's not available in the U.S.)

Dr. Strangelove
01-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Remains of the day
New Rose Hotel
The Paper
Outta Sight
The Believer

srvollmer
01-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Yes it is, I got it at blockbuster. Nice movie...even though it has Stephen Dorff in it.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Cinema Paradiso

johnnycakes
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch)
In the Mood For Love (Wong Kar-Wai)

bcunha
01-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Rounders - seconded.

Seriously, The City of Lost Children. And Run Lola Run.

nicky g
01-05-2005, 12:46 PM
La Haine.

VBM
01-05-2005, 01:15 PM
eh, to each his own.

In college, I got extra credit for going to the theatre and watching Persuasion and writing a little ditty about it; I'd rather sponge-bathe Nick Nolte than watching that again. But i have a friend who is a major Jane Austen fan who loves that movie.

So i'm interested now...what's your particular objection(s) to Monsoon Wedding?

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather sponge-bathe Nick Nolte

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so good. Just to put you on notice, I am going to use it and claim it as my own at some point in the future.

partygirluk
01-06-2005, 05:13 AM
There was a pretty good documentary about homosexual Jews. Definitely worth watching.

Shaun
01-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Following (Memento director's first feature)
Croupier (gambling movie, sort of)
Eraserhead (a really, really, really f*cked up movie by David Lynch)

plaster8
01-06-2005, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Croupier (gambling movie, sort of)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liked Croupier. Good call. I had forgotten all about it.

rickthekeg
01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Don't know if it makes the 90% rule, but I'd go with Sweet and Low Down.