PDA

View Full Version : Short-stacked late: All-in or Check-Raise?

SuitedSixes
12-28-2004, 11:14 PM
This is a situation that has come up for me a few times in the last week and I am beginning to wonder if I have played it wrong. The situation: 4 players left, Blinds 100/200 I am short stacked (700T) I have K9o in BB two limpers, SB folds, I Check. Flop comes 569r. I have been pushing here as first to act with TPGK, but should I check/raise all-in? My thoughts are, I don't know if I really have any folding equity as short-stack, people are going to call me with just about anything so do I have anything to gain by hoping to pick off someone trying to steal the pot?

TheHybrid144
12-28-2004, 11:24 PM
It could very well be checked around with people lookin to hit overcards, and they could very well do that. Keep up the aggression and don't risk losing a pot/tournament here by trying to squeeze out a bet.

Irieguy
12-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Why are the first two players limping? They're either trapping or you are ahead, right? If you are ahead, you might as well push preflop, and if you are behind, there aren't going to be many ways for post-flop play to get you out of that one.

I'm not sure that a plan to fold post flop if you miss leaves you with any better prospects at getting some chips. With two cards above an 8, 4-handed as the short stack... it might be time to race for some chips.

Now, having said that... if your plan is to just check preflop I think that checking the flop is an absolute must. Here's why: you have to at least allow yourself the chance for the first player behind you to bet and the second player to get involved too. At least that way there's a chance of squeeking into the money. It's really the only reason to see a flop from the BB with only 3BB left.

I'm not wild about that line, but it makes more sense to me than open-pushing the flop if you pair.

Irieguy

SuitedSixes
12-29-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are the first two players limping? They're either trapping or you are ahead, right? If you are ahead, you might as well push preflop, and if you are behind, there aren't going to be many ways for post-flop play to get you out of that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this, too. I really think it is usually two players with fairly good hands (A8+) or small-medium PP that don't want to get involved with a bigger or equal stack so close to ITM. I would have pushed pre-flop, but the fact that there were two limpers and I got to see the flop for free caused me to call.

iMsoLucky0
12-29-2004, 03:53 AM
I really like just checking preflop, and pushing on the flop. Your fold equity here is actually better than it seems, especially if the limpers are anywhere near average stacks. I think that if you can pick up the 700 chips in the pot right now, over a 100% increase in your stack, that you just have to move in here.

The times where you get called by KQ or KJ or AJ or an underpair and you double up as a huge favorite are just bonus. Occasionally you might run into TT+ or A9 or a set, but this just doesn't happen as often as you think.

In this situation, where I am causing the people to risk around half their stacks, I will move in with even just a flush draw and no pair. The reason for this is that the 700 chips in the pot are such a huge increase for your ~500 stack and your fold equity is suprisingly high.

Thoughts?