PDA

View Full Version : AKs PP 15/30 hand for review

tl65\
12-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Here's an interesting hand. UTG hasn't been at the table long, but has played pretty tight so far. MP3 and SB are both LAGs preflop, but both seem to settle down after the flop.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

River: (14 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Preflop, I don't know, maybe should've mucked, but the raise big raises came from LAGs.

On the flop, I call, thinking I'm up against some powerful hands and the only thing I really need to worry about is a set of aces. I'm either way ahead or way behind. I also figure if someone has KK, QQ, or AQ, let him hang around with between 1 and 3 outs. I also thought calling would let me more easily see the strength of the rest of the field.

Turn maybe I should've raised, but with SB still showing strength, I'm thinking I'm either way ahead or way behind him. Also with the flop action, I have to believe I'm ahead of the rest of the field and they're drawing with few outs, although I didn't notice the flush draw that came.

River, I think i have to bet here. The two couldn't have helped anyone. What do you think?

LarsVegas
12-28-2004, 11:23 PM
With an UTG raise, 22 shouldn't likely be out there. 88 seems far-fetched for most of them as well. I think all the callers should encourage you to think that the two case aces being out there on one hand are less likely and weaker one pair aces being there instead.

At Party, AQo is 3-bet by most players even against early raises in ring-games, and in wilder games, even the SB could be holding something like AQs or KQs.

goofball
12-28-2004, 11:35 PM
raise either the flop or the turn, the only reason for not raising the flop is waiting for teh turn so more money now goes in this pot you expect to win. How can you have any idea what your opponents hold if no street post flop went more than one bet?
be willing to go 4bets on the flop and bet the turn. if you get raised on the turn i think it's decently close between calling and 3betting.

amulet
12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
you need to raise the flop (or the turn), AA is unlikely (only 3 combos left), you have top pair top kicker, i play it fast until someone shows me some postflop strenght.

Barry
12-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Let me guess. SB had KK or QQ. UTG and MP3 have weaker A's than you have.

Thinking of mucking AKs when the Party 15 LAG's are raising is just crazy.

On the flop, you're only worried about AA and to a lesser extent 88 in 1 of the LAG's hands. I can see only calling the flop in order to see what the folks behind you will do and with the intention of raising the turn, which you failed to do.

Not betting the river here would have been a crime.

Nightwish
12-29-2004, 05:46 AM
UTG has KK/QQ. MP3 has AQ/AJ. SB could have a range of hands.

I only like the flop call if you're confident that SB will bet the turn again. If that's the case, then call the flop and raise the turn. Otherwise, raise the flop.

payupsucka
12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
You played the flop and turn too passive. Unless the SB was an extremely tight Agg. player, you need to raise the turn here. AQ and AJ are probably paying you off here and you have to make them pay. I like the river bet though. You recognized that you are probably ahead of the SB. Next time pound the flop to weed some players out.

etizzle
12-29-2004, 10:32 PM
do you guys see how many overcalls he got by just calling the flop and turn? I think he played it very well. Let them keep overalling with QQ and JJ, your not gonna be able to jam it with SBs AQ. This line is by FAR the best, and will make the most money in this particular hand. Theres really no need to protect your top pair here, and raising will only fold out the hands that you want to call down.

Nice hand. The way everyone else has been saying to play it will almost certainly not make as much money.

Kaz The Original
12-29-2004, 11:02 PM
This is a great line, only because you are second to act post flop. I think you got nearly the maximum, especially because call the flop raise the turn is so often the line used for monsters (not by twoplustwoers mind you).

tl65\
12-30-2004, 02:53 AM
Well, it turned out that SB and UTG both had QQ and MP3 had K8o, so the field was drawing to a total of 2 outs /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I think my main argument for not raising the turn was that I was likely ahead at this point or I'd split with another AK and a turn raise would make KK-JJ fold.

ggbman
12-30-2004, 03:10 AM
In this particular case calling worked out well, but generally like rasing the turn. Anyone with a weaker ace will have a hard time folding in this massive pot, and generally QQ and K8 will muck this turn anyway, so why not make them pay to stay? Honestly if that dude is dumb enough to chase with k8 he is dumb enough to cold call two bets on the turn with it in my opinion.

The Truth
12-30-2004, 09:55 AM
I like raising the flop here. Often the queens and kings will hang around for 2 on the flop where they wont hang out for 2 on the turn. The pot is huge, get the money in while you can. I think raising the turn is a good option, but it pushes out alot of hands you dont mind staying in.

Glurfle
12-30-2004, 06:53 PM
If anyone's got QQ or JJ (or for that matter, any pocket pair), they're almost getting odds to call the flop for one bet. I raise the flop.