PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Hour?

JARID
12-28-2004, 10:51 PM
PP Large Caps tourney.
Blinds: 15/30

Table is not really tough. There have been some offbeat raises and odd play. The two in question here are any A will do types.
I have limped a few pots and posted some blinds. Have not really got involved yet

Hero is in CO+1 w/ KQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP player: t455
Hero: t850
BB: t1,685

Pre-Flop: 3 folds, MP player calls 30 , 1 fold, Hero calls 30 , all fold to the BB who raises to T100

MP player calls 70
Hero calls 70

Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif (pot = T315)

BB bets t30
MP calls t30 with two cards

He is clearly weak here, to me anyway. I'm not really giving him credit for a weak lead. He's got missed AK, AQ, AT, or 99-TT maybe lower.

Hero raises to T315.

BB thinks for awhile and calls. *argh*
MP folds.

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (pot = t945)

BB checks, I still believe him to be weak here.

Hero? Do I follow through here, or shut it down?

And was this a bad place to try to pick up the pot to begin with?

Thanks-
Jarid

DesertCat
12-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Will he fold half the time? I think it's an easy all-in on the turn if you think his "thinking" was legitimate and he doesn't have a hand. You've got over 900 chips out there and only 400 left to risk. If he folds you're chances of winning the tournament more than doubled. Otherwise the blinds are low enough you can shut it down and live to try another hand.

But first, why call a preflop raiser with nearly ten percent of your stack with a hand that is easily dominated? What would you have hit on the flop that would have made you confident you had the best hand?

JARID
12-29-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Will he fold half the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe he would. I must admit I didn't look at it that way.

[ QUOTE ]
But first, why call a preflop raiser with nearly ten percent of your stack with a hand that is easily dominated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the other limper gave me better than 2-1. I had to call 70 into a 240 pot. If it was folded to me, I muck it.
The BB, I had pegged as very straightforward. Big bet = good hand etc, so I would try not to marry myself to a K, or a Q. I also had BB on a pretty wide range of hands that didn't all dominate me. And, it was sooted, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif so if I flop a big draw I'm happy.

Anybody else?

Thanks-
Jarid

Sam T.
12-29-2004, 04:19 PM
What do you put him on? The problem is that if is he weak enough to call your flop bet with AQ or AK, you can't assume he is strong enough to lay it down to your turn push.

I hate trying to bluff this early in a tournament - too many people think the kicker only matters in football, and will look you up with horrible (but winning) hands just out of curiosity. I'd say it is pretty close as to weather he will fold, so it boils down to weather you feel lucky, and how you feel about playing with a short-stack.

betgo
12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Agreed. There is a basic rule that you don't bluff a calling station. Wait for later in the tournament and bluff good players or tight players. There are situations where you can bluff early, like with a dangerous board which you think everyone missed. However, if you try once and are not successful it is definately time to give up.

JARID
12-29-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you put him on?

[/ QUOTE ]

AK, AQ, AT or 99-TT maybe lower.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate trying to bluff this early in a tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that kinda led to the title of the post. I'm unsure of the timeliness of this attempt. I've been tinkering with attacking weakness more and more with mixed results.

Thanks-
Jarid